+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec: Visiting as a tourist and marrying a citizen

Leonel

Apr 2, 2012
Hi everyone!

I would like to know if I can enter Canada, in particular Montreal, as a tourist and then get married there to get my PR.

I have a relation with a canadian girl for almost 2 years now, 1 year in argentina full time and now that she's in Quebec, i have traveled there 3 times to see her.

I know that I wont be able to work for at least a year: that's the time it take to get PR status.

Do you have any experience you can share with me? Should I get a one way ticket from Argentina to Canada? Should I state the purpouse of my visit?

Thanks

Leonel

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Whatever you do, get a return ticket. Just in case you're denied entry into Canada. Also no return ticket tells the border agent you plan don't plan to leave. And as everyone on this forum says, be truthful with the agent. Tell him you plan to get married to your gf. If you have receipts for a banquet hall, clothing for the wedding, bring that as proof. A copy of the wedding invitation (if you're going all formal) is a good idea too. However, when the agent asks if you plan to leave at the end of your stay, say "Yes." You don't have to tell him "unless I get approved for an extension." (And be truthful about leaving. If it turns out you must leave, then go back home for a short visit.)

You'll need to get married and apply for an extension of your visit BEFORE your visit expires, whether it's implied status through the PR app or a temporary resident visa. Chances are you won't be able to submit the PR application for several months. Even being greatly prepared people have to wait on their police clearance to come back and their marriage certificate.

As far as not working for one year, that's a fair estimate if everything goes smoothly.... however, it doesn't hurt to be cautious and consider yourself unable to work indefinitely up until your sponsor is approved. However, if you're applying inland it's 8 months alone for sponsor approval. Getting your PR within a year isn't very likely.

I've done basically what you've done with a few minor changes (namely my husband and I lived together in Calgary for 17 months before applying for PR). However, I'm far from an expert here. I'm sure you'll get better advice from the pros.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Leonel said:
I would like to know if I can enter Canada, in particular Montreal, as a tourist and then get married there to get my PR.
There is nothing that prohibits you from getting married while visiting Canada. However, if you tell a BSO that this is your intent, it is quite likely they will refuse you the right to enter Canada because your intention is not to visit but to move there.

Leonel said:
I have a relation with a canadian girl for almost 2 years now, 1 year in argentina full time and now that she's in Quebec, i have traveled there 3 times to see her.
You don't mention where you are from, but I assume you are either visa exempt or you have a TRV (since you have already visited). That you have visited (and left) previously will help because they are not likely to ask you detailed questions. Thus, if you come to visit your girl friend and act the same at the border as all previous times they are likely to admit you. But if you volunteer your plan you are likely to be refused. You must not lie but there is nothing that requires you volunteer information that would lead them to a negative decision.

Leonel said:
I know that I wont be able to work for at least a year: that's the time it take to get PR status.
If you apply via the INLAND process, you will have AIP (and hence an open work permit) in 8 months - that is the current posted processing time on the CIC website, and I'm reading reports on here that people are now getting AIP in 7 months. The time is actually dropping quite rapidly of late as well, and if this trend continues you may well find that inland AIP might fall to 6 months - it has dropped from posted 11 months in August, to 8 months now. It then takes 8 months for completion of 80% of applications (second stage). But you can work with the open work permit.

If you apply via the OUTLAND process, sponsor approval is 2.5 months right now, and then the processing time of your visa office. If it is Argentina, then it's posted at 13 months -so a total of 15.5 months (for 80% of applications).

So, inland: 16 months, work permit after 8. Outland: 15.5 months, work permit after 15.5 months.

There are other potential factors, but you haven't said anything that suggests they are in play in this case.

Leonel said:
Do you have any experience you can share with me? Should I get a one way ticket from Argentina to Canada? Should I state the purpouse of my visit?
I wouldn't do either of these things. I would buy a round-trip ticket (make it refundable if you can - hey, plans DO change). I wouldn't volunteer the purpose of your visit. Just act like you have before. If they ask you "do you plan on getting married" answer honestly - but the point is to act the same as on your previous visits so they don't ASK you that question. If you decide to ask your girl friend to marry you while visiting, that's perfectly acceptable.

Good luck.

Leonel

Apr 2, 2012
Wow Guys, thanks a lot for the information! :)

So, the first thing would be to buy round-trip ticket. Second thing would be not to tell that I plan to marry my gf unless asked.

I am from Argentina, im 30, I have a BS Degree in Computer Science and have no criminal records.

I have a multientry visa and Im only allowed to stay up to 3 month. 3 month would be enough to make the reservations at the city hall, getting married and then ask for the PR?

@computergeek Do you have a link to the information that tells that I am allowed to start working with an open permit to show it to my gf?

Thanks you so much

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Make sure city hall does marriages. A lot of places no longer do Justice of the Peace weddings. You have to book your own civil marriage commissioner and depending on your availability, that can take a few weeks. (It took us 3 weeks, but we were very precison on which date and time we wanted. If you're more flexible, then it should be easier.) Also, you may need to find witnesses that can attend your wedding. (I obviously know nothing about Quebec rules, just relating my experience in Alberta.)

I don't read Spanish very well (okay, at all...) so I couldn't tell you how long it takes to get your police clearance. The link is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/central-south-amer/argentina.asp

Select the correct scenerio for yourself and it'll take you to the Registro Nacional, which is where I stop being useful.... ha ha. Hopefully they give an estimate of the time. I've found the police clearance is the slowest part of getting together my application. This should answer the question of whether or not you can get an application mailed in before your visitor's status expires. (Note: it is recommended you apply 30 days before your status expires - so if you are able to, great. If not, there are worse things that could happen, right?)

Leonel

Apr 2, 2012
Thanks a lot amikety ;)

I'll look into everything you are telling me.

I wrote to the Argentine Counsil in Montreal to find out how long it usually takes to get a police clearance. If they answer me, i'll post it here.

I have also found information about marrying in quebec, but im not allowed to post a link, dont know why.

Gonna look into right now :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Leonel said:
I have also found information about marrying in quebec, but im not allowed to post a link, dont know why.
You cannot post until you have passed the 10 posts mark. That helps prevent spammers from posting links.