+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Skilled Worker Federal Stage (After CSQ)

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
tathspts said:
You can not get open work permit, but you can get closed work permit with your current employer if you already have a job in Quebec.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the information, but how come we're not eligible to apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit given the following statement from CIC website regarding this:

"If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application."

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
poisonapple said:
Yes and No :)
Yes ->you can get WP/extension/join new employer to work ONLY in Quebec ..
No- >its technically not something like federal bridging WP which allows you work anywhere in Canada ...
Thank you. I believe Open WP for CSQ means the holder will not be restricted to one specific employer though the holder must stay in Quebec; making it not fully Open WP compared to what it originally means...

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
JL-HN said:
Thank you. I believe Open WP for CSQ means the holder will not be restricted to one specific employer though the holder must stay in Quebec; making it not fully Open WP compared to what it originally means...
Yeah that's why i said Yes and No so it allows you to work for Any employer in Quebec but Not Canada , unlike OWP when you are applying when in EE queue ...

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:
Thanks for the information, but how come we're not eligible to apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit given the following statement from CIC website regarding this:

"If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application."
because you are in Quebec and Quebec only gives close work permit and you have an advantage that you dont need to do LMIA process because Quebec is LMIA exempt..

But either case you get work permit "if you currently have a job" if you do not have a job a you can't get it extended.

Why you care about getting only "open" work permit only? What difference does it make to you if you only need it to keep your current job?

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
tathspts said:
because you are in Quebec and Quebec only gives close work permit and you have an advantage that you dont need to do LMIA process because Quebec is LMIA exempt..

But either case you get work permit "if you currently have a job" if you do not have a job a you can't get it extended.

Why you care about getting only "open" work permit only? What difference does it make to you if you only need it to keep your current job?
Thanks for the answer, actually what I care about is if we're eligible to apply the WP under the BOWP stated at CIC.

If not, I'll need to go through other program to extend my WP but employer needs to pay the Compliance Fee and do some actions at the Gov portal etc (but my employer is so mean that it will not do anything to help me extend the WP), so I can only apply for extension of WP without any action from my employer, in which BOWP will not involve employer at all......Note: I do currently have a permanent job in Montreal :p

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:
Thanks for the answer, actually what I care about is if we're eligible to apply the WP under the BOWP stated at CIC.

If not, I'll need to go through other program to extend my WP but employer needs to pay the Compliance Fee and do some actions at the Gov portal etc (but my employer is so mean that it will not do anything to help me extend the WP), so I can only apply for extension of WP without any action from my employer, in which BOWP will not involve employer at all......Note: I do currently have a permanent job in Montreal :p
As far as I know employer do not need to do anything on Govt. portal other than paying the fee. Can you be more specific about the process? And I think you can pay the fee yourself as well, all you would need a valid job offer in this case if I am not wrong.

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
tathspts said:
As far as I know employer do not need to do anything on Govt. portal other than paying the fee. Can you be more specific about the process? And I think you can pay the fee yourself as well, all you would need a valid job offer in this case if I am not wrong.
"Extend a temporary worker’s permit" shown on CIC is at www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/hire-extend.asp

1- submit a new offer of employment and
2- pay the employer compliance fee if you don’t need an LMIA.

But interesting to see this: Note: "You do not need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit an offer of employment if the temporary worker you want to hire is applying for an open work permit."

And at the Quebec Immigration websit: www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-quebec/after-csq.html

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:
"Extend a temporary worker’s permit" shown on CIC is at www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/hire-extend.asp

1- submit a new offer of employment and
2- pay the employer compliance fee if you don’t need an LMIA.

But interesting to see this: Note: "You do not need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit an offer of employment if the temporary worker you want to hire is applying for an open work permit."

And at the Quebec Immigration websit: www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-quebec/after-csq.html
If your employer is not ready to do this then he will def wont be ready to do LMIA process which is required for open work permit.

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
tathspts said:
If your employer is not ready to do this then he will def wont be ready to do LMIA process which is required for open work permit.
LMIA is def not for open work permit; as far as I know, LMIA sponsored work permit def is closed WP instead of Open WP.

Open WP can be exempt from LMIA, but LMIA can not sponsor Open WP :p

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
JL-HN said:
LMIA is def not for open work permit; as far as I know, LMIA sponsored work permit def is closed WP instead of Open WP.

I think what they mean - Spouse or secondary applicant of CSQ holder ..who is eligible for open work permit

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:

sorry dude I cant help more on this. I think it would be better if you can request your employer, what company you are with? when is your work permit expiring?

I in 12th month of my application and waiting for decision and have exact same situation. I have not yet asked my employer yet as I am waiting to see if I will get my decision before my work permit expires.

JL-HN

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
MONTREAL
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
tathspts said:
sorry dude I cant help more on this. I think it would be better if you can request your employer, what company you are with? when is your work permit expiring?

I in 12th month of my application and waiting for decision and have exact same situation. I have not yet asked my employer yet as I am waiting to see if I will get my decision before my work permit expires.
Thanks for your help so far, and I really appreciate it!!

As a side note: my friend extended his WP at the Border with his CSQ after his employer paid the Compliance Fee, and his new closed WP expire on the same day of his CSQ last valid date; I tried this one without the Compliance fee at the Border several months ago but got rejected because my employer reminded me that my WP will expire sooooon at Jan...so the BOWP can not be applied at the Border...

Then I notice this BOWP after doing some research, and found it the only way to extend WP without the involvement of employer...my WP will expire at end of July (around four months from now); probably I will apply the extension at June though I might be in the implied status only if I'll not receive the PPR before June...btw, I got the AOR at beg of Nov, 2016 with Med Exam done on the same month and still waiting for DM till now;

What about you? When will your WP expire?

Lebrab

Mar 29, 2017
Hi,
After CSQ

Lebanon
AOR 27.2.2017
We started processes your application 20.3.2017

When do you think is my next step of Medical Request?

Please advise

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:

As a side note: my friend extended his WP at the Border with his CSQ after his employer paid the Compliance Fee, and his new closed WP expire on the same day of his CSQ last valid date; I tried this one without the Compliance fee at the Border several months ago but got rejected because my employer reminded me that my WP will expire sooooon at Jan...so the BOWP can not be applied at the Border...

Then I notice this BOWP after doing some research, and found it the only way to extend WP without the involvement of employer...my WP will expire at end of July (around four months from now); probably I will apply the extension at June though I might be in the implied status only if I'll not receive the PPR before June...btw, I got the AOR at beg of Nov, 2016 with Med Exam done on the same month and still waiting for DM till now;

My work permit expires at 30th June and my AOR was on 2nd May 2016. So I am hoping to receive my PR before my work permit expires. But I am preparing for WP extension just in case and will do it by May of this year.

You mentioned your friend did it at border, I also heard the similar situation with someone else and learned it is very easy to do it on border.

I want to ask, did your friend pay that fee or his employer did? also did his employer do that offer letter from the portal for him? Did your friend have to fill any form or just proof of fee paid and CSQ was enough?

This offer letter from portal is something new to me and I am not sure if my employer will be willing to do that as well or not and I also heard that at border all they care about is if you have a valid job offer and you fee is paid.

Correct me if I am wrong though.

tathspts

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
JL-HN said:

When was your file received by them?, as 13 months period is counted from the time they received your file, I confirmed that with them over the phone. because I know few Inland Applicants with who's file was received in April still waiting for decision and few I know this forum waiting who had their file received in March.

BTW correction, my AOR date is in July, 2nd May was my file receipt date.