+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec resident thinks Korean wife should not have to learn French.. need help

mlowndes

Nov 1, 2008
Hi there,

I am a Quebec resident who has recently married a Korean born women in Montreal. Now, she will be returning to Korea shortly since her tourist visa-exempt period is ending.

I understand that if she were to immigrate anywhere else than Quebec (like BC or Ontario) there would not be a French language requirement. My wife and I both agree that learning French would be too much of a challenge for her right now, so... what are our options?

I can move to any province, not a problem. Should I move out of Quebec before making an application for immigration? Do I need to move, and if so, how long do i have to be in that province before making the application? Once she has recieved her PR status, how long before we can return to Quebec for her to go to Mcgill University... she really has her heart set on it.

Thank you for pointing us in the right direction... Hyun Jin and Mike

DotBlot

Jun 11, 2008
Hi,
I am a Canadian student at McGill University. I am sponsoring my husband for immigration. There is no requirement for a sponsored spouse to know/learn French to immigrate to Quebec. My husband doesn't speak a word of French. French would only be a requirement if your spouse were to immigrate to Quebec as a Provincial Nominee as a skilled worker.

You do not need to move out of Quebec, in my opinion. There is no minimum stay requirement for a province to apply for immigration (as far as I know). Once she receives her PR, she can go to University right away. She would only need to apply for a PR card (takes about 45 days), RAMQ (provincial health insurance) card which would take 3 months to receive and a SIN card which takes about a month.

To go to McGill University, she would only need to show her CSQ from Quebec and her PR card to be assessed tuition at Quebec resident rates. Out of province tuition rates are higher.