+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Immigration interview in Vienna

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
Hello,

First I would like to say that I am new to this forum and have seen that a lot of people have already found help here. I am hoping to do the same as I have not found anything via the search function yet.

My facts:

Lived in Quebec for 2 years for CEGEP, also worked on campus and paid my little contribution to social security. Went back for university to Europe and lived in various countries, achieving very good results in my business bachelor. Currently I am doing my LL.M. at a prestigious law school in Europe.

I applied for the QSC in Vienna about a year ago and was notified about a month later that they still would like my bachelors degree to be completed and would give me 12 months to submit a certified copy. I have now done so and got a response within a week after I submitted the document, asking me to come in for an interview in a month. The letter is of course in French - which is fine, but it also says that the whole interview will be in French. Is this a normal thing they write or special to Vienna? I indicated that my French is intermediate which it certainly is but I am wondering whether it might be something exceptional that they clearly state that the whole interview will be in French or I am to bring a certified translator with me.

Does anybody else have particular experience with the Quebec office in Vienna? Is there anything else to prepare besides the general things like knowing your own life and CV, why Quebec, job opportunities, some of Quebec and Canadian history and politics and up to date facts such as economic development?

Another thing: How long is the QSC valid once it is issued? I know the permanent resident visa is limited to 1 year based on the medicals but since does not apply yet for the QSC I have no idea.

And my last question: In the application one has to sign the form for financial self sufficiency. Now it mentions certain amounts on the website (about CAD 2500) one has to have. I am a little confused whether I need to show this as well as for now I thought that the form is enough and there is no elaboration on bringing a bank statement.

Thanks a lot for the help! :)

Best Regards from Holland

openeye

mk1992

Jul 24, 2007
french - Quebec's official language is french, so they want to see if you can get by. Their standards are low, your 'intermediate' french will get you good marks when they score it (mine did, lol!)

money - they just wanted me to sign a paper saying I had it, no proof needed. But then, why chance it, I would bring it with you just in case.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
There is new law coming out requiring all Immigrants to Quebec topromise to learn French or else the Quebec Goverment has the right to cancell their Immigration So they will have to leave for Canada from Quebec

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
Ok thanks a lot for the input. I shall let you know in 2 weeks how it went. For now I am watching French TV to get my listening skills up to speed :D

Take care

openeye

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
Ok I just got out of the interview. It took pretty much exactly an hour. And I got it :D

It was a very kind man who went with me through all the documents. In the beginning he explained quite a few things about the process in general and what he will ask, that the interview is the last step, etc.

Then we went through the documents and he asked a few questions about them.

In the beginning and in between he asked why I would like to move to Quebec, where to exactly, how cities I have been to, etc. He did not ask me anything particular about the province I did not mention myself (i.e. no quOvestions about politics, economy, geography, etc.)

I gave as much details about my previous life there as possible and he seems to have been satisfied.

The interview was all in French except a few minutes where he switched to English for evaluating my English skills. My French is far from perfect, I would say intermediate but it was enough. He spoke clearly and rather slowly and also repeated questions once or twice when I asked him to. On a few cases (which he mentioned in the beginning) I also gave one or the other English word / expression I did not know in French.

Overall it was a very pleasant experience. I can certainly recommend the Vienna office to those it may apply to. Also in terms of response time (4 weeks from application for additoinal documents, 1 week once the documents had been submitted until interview notification (which was about 4 weeks after the letter).

It seems that in total if one gets them all documents right away its possible to get a CSQ in 2-3 months.

Hope this helps some of you, feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Take care

openeye

// one thing I forgot to mention: Vienna airport also has free WiFi which is really awesome! (I am still here ;-) )

ocanada

Star Member
Apr 29, 2008
HELLO OPENEYE

HI I ALSO HAVE APPLIED FOR FEDERAL SKILLED FRST BUT THEN I APPLIED FOR QUEBEC. I SENT MY APPLICATION LAST WEEK BUT I DID A FRENCH TEST, AND EVEN THOUGH I CAN SPEAK GOOD FRNECH, ITS JUST THAT IN MY TEST, DUE TO LACK OF PRACTICE, I DIDNT DO THAT WELL.
DO THEY WANT TO SEE WHETHER U HAVE DONE THE FRENCH TEST OR WILL THEY JUST INTERVIEW U AND SEE YOUR FRENCH.
ALSO, HOW MANY YEARS OF WORK EXPERIENCE HAVE U GOT.
THANKS

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
Hey,

Sorry for my late reply.

I think they want to see both, though the interview is mainly to give you extra points if they doubt your French skills. From what I know they only accept very few certified French tests. I handed in all certificates I found from my previous classes but I think the important thing was that I could have a decent conversation with the agent.

As for my work experience: I do not have any full-time work experience as I am currently doing my master. But I worked (also in Quebec before) as a tutor and also over here in a part time management position for about a year. While I don't think this gave me full points for work experience it certainly impressed him and I am sure it added some (and maybe vital) points to my assessment.

I hope I could help you with this.

Best of luck!

openeye

Chinaconnection

Star Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hello Openeye,

i am a little concerned here. I have had my selection certificate from Quebec. My file is in the VAC Beijing, Do you think they might ask me to show prove of french before they issue me a visa? ( coz i already proved my french when i sent the documents to Hongkong for selection)

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
From what I know it is always great to show good and CONVINCING proof of your language skills up front. From what I understand of the procedure is that you only get invited for an interview if you are within a certain point range that you can "make up" in the interview by several means, such as language.

I am very sure that they will not issue you a CSQ if you have not provided any French proficiency, except maybe you are an overwhelming candidate.

Just curious: you said you sent them to Hongkong and now Beijing? Why did you switch office? Or is the other one a federal selection one?

Chinaconnection

Star Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hi Openeye,

Like i said before , i proved my french already before i was selected by the Hongkong office. The Hongkong office sent me a selection certificate, and in the letter, they asked me to send my file at the Beijing office for the visa. That is probably because of the location i am in ,in China.That is the normal procedure. So i was just concerned about the office in Beijing, wether or not they will still ask me to prove my french before visa issuance considering that i proved it when i sent my application to Hongkong. Hope you understand me now.

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
Ah yea I know now. If you are a Quebec selected immigrant then you do not need any proof anymore. The only thing you will need is your police clearance and medical examination. The CSQ is essentially a waiver for the federal selection procedure.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, anybody can give feedback on their experience for the Quebec selection interview? I'm about to have mine in a few months, and please give as much detail and advice as possible.

Here is what specifically is I need to know:

0. which office in the world was ur interview, and what did you bring to the interview?

1. what did the office look like? describe how many people were in the office, what was the atmosphere like, and describe how the environment felt.

2. did ur scheduled interview start on time, or how long did u have to wait?

3. describe what ur interviewer was like. (gender, age, race, nationality, personality, etc.)

4. what mood was the interviewer in?

5. what specific questions were asked of you.

6. how long was the interview.

7. how many minutes was the interview in french, and how many minutes in english or other languages.

8. what did the interviewer make u do, aside from answer his/her questions?

9. were you required to show any documents proving your French language proficiency? what did the interviewer ask from you, and what was his/her reaction?

10. what was the decision given to u by ur interviewer, and how did he/she say it?

11. what were you required to give or pay if anything, or give any documents?

12. On a scale from 1 to 100, please rate your French language proficiency. Please specify each for spoken, written, and listening.

Please share as much as you can. Thank you.

openeye

Oct 14, 2008
0: Vienna, Austria; responsible for "Eastern Europe" (including Austria and Germany)
1: In the building of the Canadian embassy. Very informal, one floor of a 10 floor building. Overall though relaxed atmosphere (had a nice chat with the secretary while I was waiting as I came a little too early)
2: started pretty much on time
3: male, white, about 40ish I would say, I guess for Quebecoi (I assume you need CA citizenship to work in the consulate in such a position?!, though not "hardcore" Quebecoi)
4: was in a good mood and willing to do some small talk; overall very welcoming and kind
5: general questions you read on the forum, CV, why quebec, etc. though it was more in the form of a conversation rather than a "question - answer" style.
6: one hour
7: about 50 of the 60 minutes were in French. Only (and luckily this part) my work experience was in English.
8: show proof of some original documents; also updated stuff like work references, etc. that were not in my file on the date of application; be ready to have ALL documents whatsoever to show proof even if you think its ridiculous (like language courses / tests from high school etc)
9: I handed in three certificates beforehand for a French test I took in Highschool. Been years ago, rather low level, but certified from a French institute (but not the one they require for proficiency); probably did not fully satisfy their demand for French but showed I was and am willing to learn it, etc.
10: yes, at the end of the interview. (in french): well now I have to put this into the computer and calculate it, give me a minute. For the reasons blah blah blah you mentioned as for why you would like to settle in Quebec, with your CV and profile bla bla I see no reason why we would not grant you the selection certificate and I am glad to do so. Congratulations.
11: pay, no. Documents: he kept the first and last payments of my employer as proof of employment I brought with me for my file; so be ready to have all necessary documentation with you.. (print outs were fine though, so not necessarily certified and all that, though of course it is better if available)
12: I would rate my understanding at an B2 level (on the European language scale, for more infos, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages ; my speaking ability at about B1(possibly with a "+"). I did prepare some basic questions with sample answers, but quite a few things were also on the fly.

Hope this helps and good luck with your interview!

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Merci pour vos reponses. Puis je demande pour des autres info:

1. Pardon pour mes questions, mais quel est votre profession intentionelle, et experience du travail? Combien des fonds avez vous declare?

2. Quelle date et quelle heure etait votre entrevue?

3. Plus ou moins, quelle age avez vous? Parce que je me demande que il y a combien des temps avez vous prendez ceux-la examens francaise, que vous avez presente?

4. En plus des examens de l'ecole secondaire, des autres eprouves documentaires de votre capabilite de la langue francaise que avez vous presente dans votre entrevue?

5. La lettre envoye par l'ambassade mentionne que j'ai besoin de apporter une Certificat d'étude ou Diplôme de langue française avec mention du niveau obtenu et nombre d'heures d'études.

Je me demande s'il me faut que prendre une examen de mon capabilite francais a demontrer mon capabilite francais. C'est tres cher, et je me demande si les avantages etre plus important que sa coute. J'ai deja une certificat de l'alliance francaise. C'est indique le nombre d'heures de entrainement, mais ce n'est pas indique le niveau obtenu par moi. Quel pensez vous?

6. A votre avis, est ce que mon francais suffisant pour l'entrevue?

Merci a vous.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Merci pour vos reponses. Puis je demande pour des autres info:

1. Pardon pour mes questions, mais quel est votre profession intentionelle, et experience du travail? Combien des fonds avez vous declare?

2. Quelle date et quelle heure etait votre entrevue?

3. Plus ou moins, quelle age avez vous? Parce que je me demande que il y a combien des temps avez vous prendez ceux-la examens francaise, que vous avez presente?

4. En plus des examens de l'ecole secondaire, des autres eprouves documentaires de votre capabilite de la langue francaise que avez vous presente dans votre entrevue?

5. La lettre envoye par l'ambassade mentionne que j'ai besoin de apporter une Certificat d'étude ou Diplôme de langue française avec mention du niveau obtenu et nombre d'heures d'études.

Je me demande s'il me faut que prendre une examen de mon capabilite francais a demontrer mon capabilite francais. C'est tres cher, et je me demande si les avantages etre plus important que sa coute. J'ai deja une certificat de l'alliance francaise. C'est indique le nombre d'heures de entrainement, mais ce n'est pas indique le niveau obtenu par moi. Quel pensez vous?

6. A votre avis, est ce que mon francais suffisant pour l'entrevue?

Merci a vous.

openeye said:
0: Vienna, Austria; responsible for "Eastern Europe" (including Austria and Germany)
1: In the building of the Canadian embassy. Very informal, one floor of a 10 floor building. Overall though relaxed atmosphere (had a nice chat with the secretary while I was waiting as I came a little too early)
2: started pretty much on time
3: male, white, about 40ish I would say, I guess for Quebecoi (I assume you need CA citizenship to work in the consulate in such a position?!, though not "hardcore" Quebecoi)
4: was in a good mood and willing to do some small talk; overall very welcoming and kind
5: general questions you read on the forum, CV, why quebec, etc. though it was more in the form of a conversation rather than a "question - answer" style.
6: one hour
7: about 50 of the 60 minutes were in French. Only (and luckily this part) my work experience was in English.
8: show proof of some original documents; also updated stuff like work references, etc. that were not in my file on the date of application; be ready to have ALL documents whatsoever to show proof even if you think its ridiculous (like language courses / tests from high school etc)
9: I handed in three certificates beforehand for a French test I took in Highschool. Been years ago, rather low level, but certified from a French institute (but not the one they require for proficiency); probably did not fully satisfy their demand for French but showed I was and am willing to learn it, etc.
10: yes, at the end of the interview. (in french): well now I have to put this into the computer and calculate it, give me a minute. For the reasons blah blah blah you mentioned as for why you would like to settle in Quebec, with your CV and profile bla bla I see no reason why we would not grant you the selection certificate and I am glad to do so. Congratulations.
11: pay, no. Documents: he kept the first and last payments of my employer as proof of employment I brought with me for my file; so be ready to have all necessary documentation with you.. (print outs were fine though, so not necessarily certified and all that, though of course it is better if available)
12: I would rate my understanding at an B2 level (on the European language scale, for more infos, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages ; my speaking ability at about B1(possibly with a "+"). I did prepare some basic questions with sample answers, but quite a few things were also on the fly.

Hope this helps and good luck with your interview!