+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUEBEC for non French speaking folks

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Hello Folks,

When it comes to IT specific jobs Montreal is also a popular choice of many after Toronto and Vancouver. Many of us might have also submitted application in Arrima portal. Let have a discussion open on how Quebec application be made successful or please share your experience if you have been selected without French knowledge.
How can a non French speaking applicant can make Quebec their next home.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes Quebec has become an IT hub. Whether Quebec will be a good option will depend on a few factors like whether your spouse is looking for a non-IT job that requires French, whether your family is willing to learn French (still a very good idea even with an IT job), etc. Knowing French is becoming a much bigger issue for immigration to Quebec. You should also be aware that your children will have to attend French school if they are attending public school. Nothing wrong with attending French school but many families consider it a big deal.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hello Folks,

When it comes to IT specific jobs Montreal is also a popular choice of many after Toronto and Vancouver. Many of us might have also submitted application in Arrima portal. Let have a discussion open on how Quebec application be made successful or please share your experience if you have been selected without French knowledge.
How can a non French speaking applicant can make Quebec their next home.
One sentence - Quebec society has no problems with non-french speakers, problem is with Immigration/current government.

If you have option to choose any other province, Please don't think twice. This government is worse than Hitler in stirring xenophobia.

Reactions: ncat99

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
You can get by without French working in IT in Montreal. If you decide to work or live in Quebec outside Montreal, French will become necessary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One sentence - Quebec society has no problems with non-french speakers, problem is with Immigration/current government.

If you have option to choose any other province, Please don't think twice. This government is worse than Hitler in stirring xenophobia.
Let’s not get crazy. Your statement is offensive to anyone who has had family members die as a result of Hitler. Not saying that Quebec’s policies won’t create problems for many religious or cultural groups but there is no genocide going on. Not even close. Please be sensitive to people who have actually gone through genocide. Same thing as comparing Quebec to Assad. Not even close.

Reactions: Bond 007

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can get by without French working in IT in Montreal. If you decide to work or live in Quebec outside Montreal, French will become necessary.
As I pointed out this is a bigger issue for a potential spouse if they don’t work in IT. Also you will be expected to try and learn some French which some people may not be willing to do.

Reactions: smallcoffee

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017

If you have option to choose any other province, Please don't think twice. This government bis worst than Hitler in stirring xenophobia.
Let’s not get crazy. Your statement is offensive to anyone who has had family members die as a result of Hitler. Not saying that Quebec’s policies won’t create problems for many religious or cultural groups but there is no genocide going on. Not even close. Please be sensitive to people who have actually gone through genocide. Same thing as comparing Quebec to Assad. Not even close.
Actually you are making it controversial and offensive in your zeal to defend the current government. I used Hitler as a corollary and that's why said - in stirring xenophobia. Please carry on with your guided one sided opinion here. I won't have opinion anymore. Please rule the roost. Ciao

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
@canuck78 has always defended the current CAQ govt and its xenophobic immigration policies thus misguiding a lot of people when it comes to realities in Quebec. Dont know why.

Hey IT worker, here is the experience from another IT worker in Quebec. First of all, Quebec immigration process is very lengthy, unpredicatable and changes with every new moon. You should never trust Quebec immigration department to do anything properly.

0. Salaries are comparatively lower in Quebec for IT except if you find a niche employer like mine. But someone will say cost of living too, I think its not true. Cheap rental apartments in Montreal island are drafty shithole noisy wooden boxes where you can hear your neighbour fart. Apartments are better if you leave off the island, but then commute is shitty. If you decide to live in a high rise new condo in the island, then the rents are the same as that of DT Toronto.
The only good thing about Quebec is the subway system. Roads are dismal & so does the general infrastructure.
1. Your first option is to apply for Express Entry, if you do not have points for that, try any other provincial nominations programs except Quebec. Quebec should be your last option if you do not have any other way to immigrate to Canada.
2. Say you managed to get a PR ( maybe after 2-3 years from now) you will never progress in your career in Quebec because you do not speak French.
3. Your kids will be stuck in Quebec bubble in their future as they never will be fluent in English ( which is the universal language of business & opportunities) (Google Bill 101)
4. You will find it very very difficult to obtain services from govt. & even finding a doctor who can speak English. There are many doctors who speaks English but mostly they are all private practioners ( $$$$ )

Overall, you as an IT worker who is skilled & very much in demand should never trust Quebec for your immigration. I came to Quebec as a temp. foreign worker visa just because I particularly like this employer, the problem domain & they agreed to my salary. Once my implementation is done, I will leave Quebec for good.

Quebec is for low skilled immigrants who rely on govt benefits & should put down their dignity and live as second class citizens. As an IT worker, Quebec is not worth your time or skills.

Last edited:

danielulba

Jan 7, 2016
I've been working in IT/Telecom for over 5 years in QC Montreal Metro area. I got my PR this year so let me share my experience with you.

I've been working in this industry and 90% of the time it was ok just in English. It is good to be polite and put some effort to try to speak French. When you put some effort to try, most francophone people will be treating you supper nice. Note that they think their English sucks most of the time.
French can be difficult to learn depending on where you come from. If your native language is a latin language, it is not so hard. If you are from the East side of our globe, it is a bit harder.

Finding a job may be tricky. As stated before, they will look for someone with French skills first. I just changed jobs and done tons of interviews and my french was not good enough....

Salary is not so great but if you have Family with kids, the benefits are very good and compensate that.

If you come from a big metro area, you will be surprised how the pace of life and business here is slower. It takes time to adapt. It is very evident when you are dealing with people from Toronto.

Montreal is a great place where you hear 4 or 5 different languages at the same time and EVERYONE gets along. It feels great...

The current government made things worse for immigration. They are making changes with minimum impact study. Just people with their narrowed view, governing only for the people who elected them. Unfortunately, most of those who elected them, are very xenophobic, specially against muslim and other cultures where you wear anything on your head. They feel offended if you do not speak french.

I try to not get upset with this but it is very hard not to. Their population is aging, their millennials don't care about a college degree or even getting married and having kids. At least on the long run, nature will run its course and they will be replaced by more adaptable and reasonable society.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
I've been working in IT/Telecom for over 5 years in QC Montreal Metro area. I got my PR this year so let me share my experience with you.

I've been working in this industry and 90% of the time it was ok just in English. It is good to be polite and put some effort to try to speak French. When you put some effort to try, most francophone people will be treating you supper nice. Note that they think their English sucks most of the time.
French can be difficult to learn depending on where you come from. If your native language is a latin language, it is not so hard. If you are from the East side of our globe, it is a bit harder.

Finding a job may be tricky. As stated before, they will look for someone with French skills first. I just changed jobs and done tons of interviews and my french was not good enough....

Salary is not so great but if you have Family with kids, the benefits are very good and compensate that.

If you come from a big metro area, you will be surprised how the pace of life and business here is slower. It takes time to adapt. It is very evident when you are dealing with people from Toronto.

Montreal is a great place where you hear 4 or 5 different languages at the same time and EVERYONE gets along. It feels great...

The current government made things worse for immigration. They are making changes with minimum impact study. Just people with their narrowed view, governing only for the people who elected them. Unfortunately, most of those who elected them, are very xenophobic, specially against muslim and other cultures where you wear anything on your head. They feel offended if you do not speak french.

I try to not get upset with this but it is very hard not to. Their population is aging, their millennials don't care about a college degree or even getting married and having kids. At least on the long run, nature will run its course and they will be replaced by more adaptable and reasonable society.
> but if you have Family with kids, the benefits are very good and compensate that.

We do not have kids yet, can you clarify this a bit please ?

I was under the impression that the benefits are inversely proportional to your annual family income. Does this benefits really apply to IT workers whose salary might be at the higher end of the spectrum ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 has always defended the current CAQ govt and its xenophobic immigration policies thus misguiding a lot of people when it comes to realities in Quebec. Dont know why.

Hey IT worker, here is the experience from another IT worker in Quebec. First of all, Quebec immigration process is very lengthy, unpredicatable and changes with every new moon. You should never trust Quebec immigration department to do anything properly.

0. Salaries are comparatively lower in Quebec for IT except if you find a niche employer like mine. But someone will say cost of living too, I think its not true. Cheap rental apartments in Montreal island are drafty shithole noisy wooden boxes where you can hear your neighbour fart. Apartments are better if you leave off the island, but then commute is shitty. If you decide to live in a high rise new condo in the island, then the rents are the same as that of DT Toronto.
The only good thing about Quebec is the subway system. Roads are dismal & so does the general infrastructure.
1. Your first option is to apply for Express Entry, if you do not have points for that, try any other provincial nominations programs except Quebec. Quebec should be your last option if you do not have any other way to immigrate to Canada.
2. Say you managed to get a PR ( maybe after 2-3 years from now) you will never progress in your career in Quebec because you do not speak French.
3. Your kids will be stuck in Quebec bubble in their future as they never will be fluent in English ( which is the universal language of business & opportunities) (Google Bill 101)
4. You will find it very very difficult to obtain services from govt. & even finding a doctor who can speak English. There are many doctors who speaks English but mostly they are all private practioners ( $$$$ )

Overall, you as an IT worker who is skilled & very much in demand should never trust Quebec for your immigration. I came to Quebec as a temp. foreign worker visa just because I particularly like this employer, the problem domain & they agreed to my salary. Once my implementation is done, I will leave Quebec for good.

Quebec is for low skilled immigrants who rely on govt benefits & should put down their dignity and live as second class citizens. As an IT worker, Quebec is not worth your time or skills.
Please find where I have defended all the CAQ policies. I have defended the French language component which is not really controversial and understandable. In a French speaking province prioritizing French speaking immigrant is not an outrageous concept. Anyone around the world can learn French if they want to move to Quebec. Many have. Apparently l’Alliance Francaise became very popular in China for a while. Also don’t agree with Quebec investor program since almost none of them stay in Quebec and most don’t benefit the Quebec or Canadian economy by creating businesses or even paying taxes. Majority have their many income earner overseas who relinquish their PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Taxes are higher but cost of living is lower. Buying a house in Quebec is much less expensive versus the greater GTA, Lower mainland of BC, Victoria and Ottawa. Much more benefits for families like lower tuition and daycare costs. Salaries may be lower on average but you may end up ahead. It all depends on the individual. After being in decline or flat for a few decades Quebec economy, real estate, etc. had been trending upwards. Many children in Quebec are perfectly bilingual especially if they have friends or family who speak English at home. There are children who have attended school in French but have then chosen to attend university in English and they are fine. Children pick up languages easily and are able to easily be bilingual or trilingual. Being bilingual in English and French is sought after in many Canadian jobs across the country and parents have put their children on waiting lists for French immersion education outside Quebec. If you choose to move to Quebec you shouldn’t worry about your children learning another language.

Reactions: Grace2019

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Taxes are higher but cost of living is lower. Buying a house in Quebec is much less expensive versus the greater GTA, Lower mainland of BC, Victoria and Ottawa. Much more benefits for families like lower tuition and daycare costs. Salaries may be lower on average but you may end up ahead. It all depends on the individual. After being in decline or flat for a few decades Quebec economy, real estate, etc. had been trending upwards. Many children in Quebec are perfectly bilingual especially if they have friends or family who speak English at home. There are children who have attended school in French but have then chosen to attend university in English and they are fine. Children pick up languages easily and are able to easily be bilingual or trilingual. Being bilingual in English and French is sought after in many Canadian jobs across the country and parents have put their children on waiting lists for French immersion education outside Quebec. If you choose to move to Quebec you shouldn’t worry about your children learning another language.
So you are saying because of all these supposedly statistically unproven advantages of living in Quebec (most of them are inversely proportional to your family and will also come tumbling down at slightest hint of separatism) we should accept to be treated as second class citizens who have no dignity at all ? You forgot the most important disadvantage of living in Quebec probably coz you are white. Its racism. Quebec has itself proven many times over & over that it is the most racist province in Canada. This single thing is a deal breaker for me no matter how cheap the housing or benefits you say Quebe has. Immigrants have dignity too. Unless you are living under a shell, do you even know what the CAQ govt is doing to immigrants in Quebec ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Immstu

danielulba

Jan 7, 2016
> but if you have Family with kids, the benefits are very good and compensate that.

We do not have kids yet, can you clarify this a bit please ?

I was under the impression that the benefits are inversely proportional to your annual family income. Does this benefits really apply to IT workers whose salary might be at the higher end of the spectrum ?
There are calculators online for both federal and province govt. You can check what isbthe impact by the number of kids and your salary.
I can tell you that after 6 years old, the support is reduced and as you get closer to 100k a year, it drops a lot.