+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Applications Estimated at 24 Months?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your view on students will certainly give the government a lot of trouble because of their ignorant attitude not only towards students, but also in the general approach to immigration. There is a lot of justification in principle about Quebec's approach to immigration, but this has been going on for many years and only the current government stepped on the head of the federal one.
I have no idea what this text means.

Olegikom

Star Member
Dec 19, 2019
I wrote what I see myself and how I evaluate the actions of governments. Having lived in Quebec for 30 years, I have formed my own and only my opinion and nothing more.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I wrote what I see myself and how I evaluate the actions of governments. Having lived in Quebec for 30 years, I have formed my own and only my opinion and nothing more.
Sure. But did not understand at all what that opinion of yours was, because honestly do not understand what you wrote.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Let's summarize the position of Quebec: They limit the number of applications to provide services for existing immigrants, such as French classes. They also want to have some control over the selection of applications (such as giving priority to those from French-speaking countries). Canada wants to increase the overall number of immigrants in Canada regardless of other factors. These positions conflict.

The reason I shared that link was to show that excluding foreign students from these quotas has a negative impact directly (on housing) and indirectly by creating a pathway for them to become permanent residents, pushing out those who applied through regular immigration channels. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sure mine will reach that point if nothing is being done. In my opinion, Those students might be causing most issues with everything.
It's not the student visas. The Quebec cap is the problem. If it was the student visas, then spousal sponsorship applications across all provinces would be delayed. But they aren't. It's only Quebec. This is entirely the fault of the Quebec government and the fact that they've implemented annual caps on family applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Let's summarize the position of Quebec: They limit the number of applications to provide services for existing immigrants, such as French classes. They also want to have some control over the selection of applications (such as giving priority to those from French-speaking countries). Canada wants to increase the overall number of immigrants in Canada regardless of other factors. These positions conflict.

The reason I shared that link was to show that excluding foreign students from these quotas has a negative impact directly (on housing) and indirectly by creating a pathway for them to become permanent residents, pushing out those who applied through regular immigration channels. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.
I don't disagree about the housing. Housing is an issue and the high humber of student visas aren't helping the situation.

However the fact you have to wait 24+ months vs. 10 months is due to the Quebec cap. This is Quebec screwing over family sponsorships.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think this is much more simple: to the extent that either the feds or any of the other provinces have limits to immigration numbers, they specifically exclude spousal/dependent files from any such limits - the only limit is processing capacity, which as far as I'm aware they don't arbitrarily limit. (Granted the other provinces do not get involved in admin of national immigration programs, and any tweaking they do consists only in adding to fed programs through the various PNP, so their position is same as feds on spousal/dependent apps).

[Separate discussion about whether Quebec's 'priority' for French speakers actually works in a context where only Quebec caps total numbers anbd rest of country treats French speakers neutrally or positive (there are some fed progrs that give extra points to native French speakers and all others are neutral betweeen EN/FR and all give extra points for bilingual) - but that's a discussion about effectiveness overall and not specific to the spousal issue]

I understand your point on housing (and very broadly agree that it's an issue). But on student vs 'regular immigration channels' - as far as Quebec goes, same issue: Quebec has chosen to arbitrarily cap spousal apps (by including in other total caps), no other jurisdiction in Canada has done so.

This issue is all Quebec. Any tie with students (to the extent there is one) is Quebec govt's decision.

Olegikom

Star Member
Dec 19, 2019
I think this is much more simple: to the extent that either the feds or any of the other provinces have limits to immigration numbers, they specifically exclude spousal/dependent files from any such limits - the only limit is processing capacity, which as far as I'm aware they don't arbitrarily limit. (Granted the other provinces do not get involved in admin of national immigration programs, and any tweaking they do consists only in adding to fed programs through the various PNP, so their position is same as feds on spousal/dependent apps).

[Separate discussion about whether Quebec's 'priority' for French speakers actually works in a context where only Quebec caps total numbers anbd rest of country treats French speakers neutrally or positive (there are some fed progrs that give extra points to native French speakers and all others are neutral betweeen EN/FR and all give extra points for bilingual) - but that's a discussion about effectiveness overall and not specific to the spousal issue]

I understand your point on housing (and very broadly agree that it's an issue). But on student vs 'regular immigration channels' - as far as Quebec goes, same issue: Quebec has chosen to arbitrarily cap spousal apps (by including in other total caps), no other jurisdiction in Canada has done so.

This issue is all Quebec. Any tie with students (to the extent there is one) is Quebec govt's decision.
All the same, it’s not bad at all that we write about what concerns us, our friends, or just those who are looking for some kind of help in this incomprehensible situation in which they find themselves
There is nothing wrong or strange in this. We are all
perceives what is happening around us differently. In addition, for the most part, we are in Canada from different parts of the world and the fact that we are here reflects our view, our life experience and our view of what the immigration process does to us.
Quebec, with its actions and restrictions in the immigration process, has long been gradually opening the Pandora's box.
Thanks for your honest comments.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Given the potentially ultra-long wait to become PR due to Quebec immigration quota cap, I am thinking to apply for SOWP since I am already in Canada.
However, given it could take 24 months to become PR, how does it work in terms of driving licence? Can I exchange my British driving licence with a Canadian/Quebec one while being a 'temporary resident' on OWP?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Given the potentially ultra-long wait to become PR due to Quebec immigration quota cap, I am thinking to apply for SOWP since I am already in Canada.
However, given it could take 24 months to become PR, how does it work in terms of driving licence? Can I exchange my British driving licence with a Canadian/Quebec one while being a 'temporary resident' on OWP?
Quebec doesn't allow to exchange driving license*. You can drive for certain time with your license, but after that you have to past take tests. Visit SAAQ website, they have more info regarding the procedure.

*If I remember correctly, they do exchange certain licenses but not all. I can't look it up since I'm currently outside of Canada and SAAQ website blocks access from my location

Olegikom

Star Member
Dec 19, 2019
Quebec doesn't allow to exchange driving license*. You can drive for certain time with your license, but after that you have to past take tests. Visit SAAQ website, they have more info regarding the procedure.

*If I remember correctly, they do exchange certain licenses but not all. I can't look it up since I'm currently outside of Canada and SAAQ website blocks access from my location
NON-RESIDENT OF QUEBEC
If your main residence is not in Quebec and you have a valid driver's license issued in another province, another Canadian territory or even abroad, you can drive in Quebec for six consecutive months. After this time, you must have an international driving license.

Olegikom

Star Member
Dec 19, 2019
NON-RESIDENT OF QUEBEC
If your main residence is not in Quebec and you have a valid driver's license issued in another province, another Canadian territory or even abroad, you can drive in Quebec for six consecutive months. After this time, you must have an international driving license.
MAINTAINING DRIVING PRIVILEGE
People who hold a valid driver's license from outside Quebec may exceptionally retain their driving privileges beyond the 6 months initially provided for, under certain conditions.

New residents who have settled in Quebec:

before January 1, 2023 will have until November 30, 2023 to exchange their Canadian or foreign driver's license for a Quebec driver's license if they wish to retain their driving privileges

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
before January 1, 2023 will have until November 30, 2023 to exchange their Canadian or foreign driver's license for a Quebec driver's license if they wish to retain their driving privileges
What happens after the 30 November 2023?

Olegikom

Star Member
Dec 19, 2019
MAINTAINING DRIVING PRIVILEGE
People who hold a valid driver's license from outside Quebec may exceptionally retain their driving privileges beyond the 6 months initially provided for, under certain conditions.

New residents who have settled in Quebec:

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

Do you hold a foreign driver’s licence and intend to drive in Québec? Do you hold a Québec driver’s licence and want to drive outside Canada? You might need an international driving permit.

An international driving permit is a "translation" of your driver's licence and must be obtained in the country that issued your driver's licence. This permit specifies—according to an internationally recognized classification—the types of vehicles you are allowed to drive.

You must apply for an international driving permit before coming to Québec.

An international driving permit does not replace the driver's licence issued by your country of origin—it is used in combination with your licence.
To be valid, an international driving permit must always be accompanied by your original driver's licence. In the event of a roadside check, you must show both documents.

YOU HOLD A FOREIGN DRIVER’S LICENCE

AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT IS MANDATORY IF…
You are staying in Québec for more than 6 months and intend on driving on public roads.

YOU ARE A FOREIGN STUDENT OR TRAINEE
You are allowed to drive a passenger vehicle, a motorcycle, a moped or a scooter for the duration of your studies or traineeship with your foreign driver's licence provided that the licence is valid and bears the appropriate class for the type of vehicle used and that you abide by its conditions. An international driving permit is recommended if your home licence is not in English or French.

You are a new resident of Québec
If you are a new resident and decide to settle in Québec, you are allowed to drive a passenger vehicle, a motorcycle, a moped or a scooter for a maximum period of 6 consecutive months with your foreign driver's licence provided that the licence is valid and bears the appropriate class for the type of vehicle used.

We highly recommend that you start the process of obtaining a Québec driver's licence before the end of the 6-month period.

YOU HOLD A QUÉBEC DRIVER’S LICENCE
Before leaving Canada, you must check to see whether the country to which you are travelling requires an international driving permit.

If you are required to hold an international driving permit, you must apply for one with CAA-QuébecThis link will open in a new window. An international driving permit is valid for one year.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Not my timeline but some good news

Timeline
(Visa Office : Ottawa)

Application Submitted : 23rd March
Documents turn true : 5th May
Successfully link to gc key with temporary number : 25th May
AOR received : 26th May
BIL received : 1st June
Sponsor Approval : 2nd June
Biometric submitted : 6th June
CSQ application send to MIDI : 6th June
Biometric Completed : 7th June
Medical Request : 7th June
CSQ Payment by MIDI : 14th June
Medical Submitted : 20th June
Medical Passed : 25th June
CSQ received: 30th June
Request Letter for CSQ from IRCC : 13th July
CSQ submitted to IRCC : 13th July
Pre arrival received : 13th July
Eligibility and background completed in tracker: 13th July
Final decision made : 19th July
COPR Number and Documents generated: 20th July
PPR : 5th September

Does it mean this person bypassed the queue caused by the cap?