+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine questions (upon landing)

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
but not traveling due to constipation issues is not a reason to not travel

My child has some constipation problems. My post was highlighting a more general context and things are adding up.

But what I am to say is that you are not a doctor to judge what is legitimate reason for travel or not (constipation).

And even if you happen to be a doctor, you are not my kids doctor in charge and certainly not have the inputs to come to such conclusions.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's your choice for the traveling outside Canada.

You keep on insisting.

Then I will have to reply.

No, your statement is not correct. What I chosen is to return on short notice, that is my choice. Then what happened due to pandemic, all the rest was imposed by exogenous circumstances out of control.

I traveled before the outbreak at least outside of China. Wearing a mask was even an odd thing at that time (expect for Asian for which it is often custom).
Yet, I could have managed to return to Canada but there are countries that have applied extremely difficult policies for flight bans, so not all countries are equal in this respect.

By the way, there have been few repatriation flights during first pandemic outbreak but it was immediately FULL just after it has been announced.

Here you can see how this managed by various countries.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Some countries are classified as "totally restrictive".
Your statement isn't correct either.

There are commercial direct flights to Canada in some countries. For us, flying outbound and inbound is not impossible. There might be cancellations but the airline would put us to the next available flights usually within several days.

Also I've been outside Canada before and after the outbreak, early in the year, but I can easily return to the country. Not sure why you couldn't do the same.

Do you recall why the virus is call COVID-19? It all happened by the end of 2019 and there were flights to Canada without any travel ban until some time in March 2020. Unless you were lockdowned in Wuhan, you should be able to travel back then and not waiting for the last minute.

Last edited:

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
There are commercial direct flights to Canada in some countries. For us, flying outbound and inbound is not impossible. There might be cancellations but the airline would put us to the next available flights usually within several days.

You also seem to have understanding problems as regards what "totally restricted" means. There are NO commercial flights.
This is how the country I am in is categorized, namely by IATA. Period. Like I said, there are ways to travel outbound but it is very tricky.

Stop insisting on this 'last minute' thing and think twice before writing. Anyone advocating for travels in the current circumstances, actually during the outbreak should take responsibility for the consequences of what they advocate.

To put things in perspective, and that is one brick in the wall only as we are facing challenges on many fronts: I personally have elderly who are locked in their home with none to take care of them. Their age means that they have a high probability of serious problem if they are infected. Totally restricted means if you manage to flight outbound, forget travelling back inbound. Forget about it completely.

Personally, wherever I belong, I would like my future fellow citizens to hold values, integrity and social empathy with respect to the vulnerable in such pandemics circumstances, that same values we hold will benefit Canada somehow; To give you a pointer, so not to be judgmental I would just be slightly disappointed by people who leave the elderly behind just to comply with an R.O. thing with all respect due to the law. Some times have no choice, but a minimum of decency would be to acknowledge the terrible dilemma this pandemics has posed to many.

I understand if due to administrative reasons, RO is not relaxed or reviewed. I respect it.
I made my point, I have to move on now.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

You also seem to have understanding problems as regards what "totally restricted" means. There are NO commercial flights.
This is how the country I am in is categorized, namely by IATA. Period. Like I said, there are ways to travel outbound but it is very tricky.

Stop insisting on this 'last minute' thing and think twice before writing. Anyone advocating for travels in the current circumstances, actually during the outbreak should take responsibility for the consequences of what they advocate.

To put things in perspective, and that is one brick in the wall only as we are facing challenges on many fronts: I personally have elderly who are locked in their home with none to take care of them. Their age means that they have a high probability of serious problem if they are infected. Totally restricted means if you manage to flight outbound, forget travelling back inbound. Forget about it completely.

Personally, wherever I belong, I would like my future fellow citizens to hold values, integrity and social empathy with respect to the vulnerable in such pandemics circumstances, that same values we hold will benefit Canada somehow; To give you a pointer, so not to be judgmental I would just be slightly disappointed by people who leave the elderly behind just to comply with an R.O. thing with all respect due to the law. Some times have no choice, but a minimum of decency would be to acknowledge the terrible dilemma this pandemics has posed to many.

I understand if due to administrative reasons, RO is not relaxed or reviewed. I respect it.
In a nutshell , you waited till the last moment , regardless of the reasons , now yah gotta deal with the consequences.
Those elderly individuals you are going on about are going to be left alone anyway whenever you decide to leave , so that doesn’t give much credence to your argument .

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Before you moved on, there are commercial flights to Canada. They are not operate by IATA, so you cannot book the flight by them. Think twice before you write anything. I will insist what you made was a 'last minute' choice.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Those elderly individuals you are going on about are going to be left alone anyway whenever you decide to leave , so that doesn’t give much credence to your argument .
No. The elderly are autonomous and fine in 'normal circumstances'. Now the situation is different due to COVID.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Before you moved on, there are commercial flights to Canada. They are not operate by IATA, so you cannot book the flight by them. Think twice before you write anything. I will insist what you made was a 'last minute' choice.
You keep on insisting and I keep on insisting and we can go on for a while.
Poor decency the consideration to the elderly that is manifested.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe everyone here should agree to disagree and close this discussion which is going no where.

Always if in doubt about any immigration issue consult a professional not a public forum

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Bs65,

Given the arguments provided (child health condition, elderly in charge, travel restrictions and high COVID risk through 2nd wave), Most of the commentators so far have not shown any real compassion. What I noticed instead is an attitude that consisted in putting the blame on people, being judgmental, and certainly attempts to re affirm the RO rule irrespective of the pandemics context. In fact, the pandemics context and the human aspects have been assigned zero weight in the conversation. We are not having a rational conversation am afraid and I wont accept this condescending attitude of some people lecturing on this 'last minute' joke. More surprisingly, when I re affirmed that I CARE about my elderly and do not want to leave them behind, I got 'you left them behind anyway' by moving to Canada. WOW.

So I do not think it is going no where: The objective here is to leave here a testimonial for decision makers and lawyers, immigration officers and people of good will to see one of the many struggle this pandemics represent. And it certainly one of the least.

If you read the other section of 'permanent residency obligation' the COVID burden on RO compliance is impacting more and more people.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree this discussion to be close as ITmanEU cannot find any commercial flights to Canada for quarantine (as well as answers to child's health and elderly), despite people like me can find commercial flights and travel during the waves of covid.

That said, not sure why @ITmanEU started this thread if he cannot find any commercial flights to Canada to begin with!

Last edited:

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
That said, not sure why @ITmanEU started this thread if he cannot find any commercial flights to Canada to begin with!

There are so called 'special flights', (that is why I said it is doable but 'tricky') as these flights occur with a frequency of 2 or 3 in month (or less), they are often fully booked (waiting lists and you can check daily) and cancellation is highly possible. And that is before 2nd wave.

That is the option I originally considered when I started the thread. In fact I even managed to secure a booking.
The cost for such flight tickets is fixed, it is cannot be cancelled, it is a one way flight (outbound) and it is VERY expensive, especially for a family. It also includes a 24 h transit in EU country on a terminal hotel that you have to arrange at your own costs and expenses.

And to return to the country of origin (in case of family emergency), there is no way you can do it (outside of special repatriation flights, but for that waiting lists are now exceeding 8 months). This is why countless of people who traveled away for touristic/family reasons before Covid-19 first outbreak have become homeless, yes literally you read well, 'homeless' people. They got stuck and did not provision sufficient money to sustain long periods abroad.

Unfortunately, you have missed the whole point. Like I said, commercial flights are simply banned till further notice. This is what happens in totally restricted countries but you did not want to listen. The problem is not the country of destination, the problem is the country of departure.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. The elderly are autonomous and fine in 'normal circumstances'. Now the situation is different due to COVID.
There are many delivery services that leave groceries and other necessities at the door like people who are vulnerable to covid are doing in Canada.