+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine questions (upon landing)

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Hi,

I have some questions regarding quarantine upon arriving in Canada. My questions are intended to people who went through similar process. This applies to PR resident returning to Canada.

1/ - Can someone (friend or relative) pick you up at the airport ?or is it mandatory to take a taxi ? Is Uber acceptable? If your accomodation is very far from airport, how do you manage?
2/ - Can someone stay some time at the arrival airport, for example to buy a mobile SIM card and stuffs, or is it required to move direct to the taxi area?
3/ - What is the exact duration of the quarantine, 2 weeks so is it 14 or 15 days?
4/ - Do you receive notification from authorities that quarantine is over or do you end it on your own?
5/ - Can someone (friend or relative) bring you items or food without entering into your lodging? is it acceptable?
6/ - If someone gets Covid symptoms during quarantine and has no medical coverage yet, who covers the medical expenses? Is it required to take a private insurance?
7/ - Current plan is to rent Airbnb accomodation (not shared). Point is, host can cancel the booking on short notice without giving explanation, That would compromise the plan. Any suggestions?

Thanks

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have some questions regarding quarantine upon arriving in Canada. My questions are intended to people who went through similar process. This applies to PR resident returning to Canada.

1/ - Can someone (friend or relative) pick you up at the airport ?or is it mandatory to take a taxi ? Is Uber acceptable? If your accomodation is very far from airport, how do you manage?
2/ - Can someone stay some time at the arrival airport, for example to buy a mobile SIM card and stuffs, or is it required to move direct to the taxi area?
3/ - What is the exact duration of the quarantine, 2 weeks so is it 14 or 15 days?
4/ - Do you receive notification from authorities that quarantine is over or do you end it on your own?
5/ - Can someone (friend or relative) bring you items or food without entering into your lodging? is it acceptable?
6/ - If someone gets Covid symptoms during quarantine and has no medical coverage yet, who covers the medical expenses? Is it required to take a private insurance?
7/ - Current plan is to rent Airbnb accomodation (not shared). Point is, host can cancel the booking on short notice without giving explanation, That would compromise the plan. Any suggestions?

Thanks
1. Yes, your friend can pick you up. Just make sure safety measures taken by both. I think Uber is acceptable onlybif you are asymptomatic.
2.Yes, however you cannot stop in between from airport to quarantine destination.
3.14 days
4. After reaching the place, you are supposed to checkin online or through ArriveCAN app. Details will be provided by officer. Each day you will receive notification asking whether you have symptoms. Your quarantine is over, once you stopped getting that.
5.Yes
6.The government takes care of COVID expenses, even if you don't have insurance. But it is highly RECOMMENDED to get an insurance to cover other illnesses as well.
7.You may have to book another place.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, your friend can pick you up. Just make sure safety measures taken by both. I think Uber is acceptable onlybif you are asymptomatic.
2.Yes, however you cannot stop in between from airport to quarantine destination.
3.14 days
4. After reaching the place, you are supposed to checkin online or through ArriveCAN app. Details will be provided by officer. Each day you will receive notification asking whether you have symptoms. Your quarantine is over, once you stopped getting that.
5.Yes
6.The government takes care of COVID expenses, even if you don't have insurance. But it is highly RECOMMENDED to get an insurance to cover other illnesses as well.
7.You may have to book another place.
4) OP can also phone the number indicated in the handover given by CBSA at the airport
6) If OP makes home in BC while the state of emergency is still in effect, it is UNNECESSARY to get private insurance to cover other illness.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Additional point, please.

Travelers include a little child (4 year old). Child has (quasi-chronic) constipation problems.
Child takes long walk and also bikes as a way to facilitate bowel movement.
This activity was recommended by doctor in country of origin on top of some medicines.

A bit worried about extended stay in restricted space with respect to child not being able to exercise during quarantine and constipation becoming more acute.
Is a walk outside in the open allowed or is it strictly forbidden?
I assumed it is forbidden but just wanted to re confirm.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Travelers include a little child (4 year old). Child has (quasi-chronic) constipation problems.
This activity was recommended by doctor in country of origin on top of some medicines.

A bit worried about extended stay in restricted space with respect to child not being able to exercise during quarantine and constipation becoming more acute.

Thanks
Strictly forbidden to go outside in public places. Rent an airbnb with a back yard if possible.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks
You can exercise a kid inside too. Like jump ropes or hoola hoops?
Or as suggested rent one with a backyard.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
My kid's bowel problems are serious and we needed to combine several mitigation to keep things more or less stable. We have been alerted by doctor that consequences can be serious. So far, thankfully it is not.
Thus we are looking at the prospect of postponing the return until we have clearer picture.

By the same occasion, and this is another subject but rather connected to our whole context, during the 1st outbreak of the pandemics, we have looking closely at the news and the development and some how we understood the fact that there would be no derogation made to the RO.

But now, looking at how things are evolving, all though we of course respect authorities decisions, applying strictly RO obligation is no more acceptable to our view. We are really and sincerely looking forward to move back to Canada and for several reasons. Things are now extremely complicated to manage, I explain:
- Some countries are partially or completely under lock down, and some of those countries have adopted flight bans which means that there are no outbound commercial flights, there are few repatriation flights with very uncertain outcome (they are regularly canceled, and what you is a voucher for a next hypothetical flight; if you have booked a hotel reservation at the place of destination cancellation policies often allow reimbursement only 24 or 48h from the booking).
- Many flights are not going direct to Canada and involve transit in a country that itself is facing Chaos due to 2nd wave outbreak. We asked if less than 24h transit would subject travelers to testing (PCR, etc.) there is no clear answer or guideline posted anywhere on airport websites, companies websites, etc. Moreover it is evolving/ changing almost on daily basis.
- In some countries, if you manage to flight via a repatriation flight, you are banned from returning to the country even if you are national from that country (and this is lasting more than 8 months in a row not and there is no visibility from governments on whether they intend to relax this or not - complete unknown territory). Thus if you leave parents behind and something goes wrong due to COVID you will not even be able to return in emergency mode, you will not be able to support them.
- Now that the 2nd wave appears to be really a second wave (especially in Europe), there is increased risk to travel and get infected, which we do not want anyhow irrespective of our age an health condition, but due to RO oligation the incentive is to travel asap.

It is our understanding that if you fail to comply with the RO, your PR will be revoked and you will be given option to make an appeal, especially on H&C grounds, but who want to take this risk.

Let me tell you, all said and done, there should be at least an extension of 6-months given to PR who are in good faith facing harsh personal circumstances due to COVID. More than harsh circumstances, people who are facing financial and health burden should not have to face a RO dilemma on top of this.

Again and again, this is sincere and honest posting, acknowledging the fact that Canada tends to manage things with most human and even generous approach. But at this point it makes things unnecessarily difficult for many of us. If not the conditions and context I explained above I would be right now in Canada.

Back to the topic subject, like I said we are postponing our travel because the child had other bowel problems in the interim period. But we expect also that the conditions to join Canada will worsen in the next weeks if not days. We see major airline companies now cancelling dozen of flights. Yet they also play tricks so they push you to buy a ticket which is not reimbursable so to help their finance and they advise you that if there is cancellation you will be able to re book and flight with the same company, so you are stuck with only that company waiting for a flight while there may be other company already offering options.

Crazy!

Edit: I also hope that an immigration officer or people who could help vehicle this message be so kind to take a closer look. We know it is not easy.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My kid's bowel problems are serious and we needed to combine several mitigation to keep things more or less stable. We have been alerted by doctor that consequences can be serious. So far, thankfully it is not.
Thus we are looking at the prospect of postponing the return until we have clearer picture.

By the same occasion, and this is another subject but rather connected to our whole context, during the 1st outbreak of the pandemics, we have looking closely at the news and the development and some how we understood the fact that there would be no derogation made to the RO.

But now, looking at how things are evolving, all though we of course respect authorities decisions, applying strictly RO obligation is no more acceptable to our view. We are really and sincerely looking forward to move back to Canada and for several reasons. Things are now extremely complicated to manage, I explain:
- Some countries are partially or completely under lock down, and some of those countries have adopted flight bans which means that there are no outbound commercial flights, there are few repatriation flights with very uncertain outcome (they are regularly canceled, and what you is a voucher for a next hypothetical flight; if you have booked a hotel reservation at the place of destination cancellation policies often allow reimbursement only 24 or 48h from the booking).
- Many flights are not going direct to Canada and involve transit in a country that itself is facing Chaos due to 2nd wave outbreak. We asked if less than 24h transit would subject travelers to testing (PCR, etc.) there is no clear answer or guideline posted anywhere on airport websites, companies websites, etc. Moreover it is evolving/ changing almost on daily basis.
- In some countries, if you manage to flight via a repatriation flight, you are banned from returning to the country even if you are national from that country (and this is lasting more than 8 months in a row not and there is no visibility from governments on whether they intend to relax this or not - complete unknown territory). Thus if you leave parents behind and something goes wrong due to COVID you will not even be able to return in emergency mode, you will not be able to support them.
- Now that the 2nd wave appears to be really a second wave (especially in Europe), there is increased risk to travel and get infected, which we do not want anyhow irrespective of our age an health condition, but due to RO oligation the incentive is to travel asap.

It is our understanding that if you fail to comply with the RO, your PR will be revoked and you will be given option to make an appeal, especially on H&C grounds, but who want to take this risk.

Let me tell you, all said and done, there should be at least an extension of 6-months given to PR who are in good faith facing harsh personal circumstances due to COVID. More than harsh circumstances, people who are facing financial and health burden should not have to face a RO dilemma on top of this.
But it was your personal choice of living outside Canada and so you are to comply with the RO.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
I am not 'living' outside Canada, I am 'waiting' outside Canada for travel conditions to become humanly possible to flight back. Considering a 'back to normal' is wishful thinking, I say as far as humanly possible. This is lasting for 6 month or more, and especially since 2nd wave outbreak it became insanely complex. Thus I think it is fair to ask for RO extension or concession and that is outside of humanitarian and compassionate register.
I am not playing tricks here, the situation all of us have been and still are facing is one of its kind.

Thus my question, could you please yourself and/or colleague of yours convey this type of adverse circumstances so that officers/regulators look at it more closely? If you have any leverage, your help will be appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not 'living' outside Canada, I am 'waiting' outside Canada for travel conditions to become humanly possible to flight back. Considering a 'back to normal' is wishful thinking, I say as far as humanly possible. This is lasting for 6 month or more, and especially since 2nd wave outbreak it became insanely complex. Thus I think it is fair to ask for RO extension or concession and that is outside of humanitarian and compassionate register.
I am not playing tricks here, the situation all of us have been and still are facing is one of its kind.

Thus my question, could you please yourself and/or colleague of yours convey this type of adverse circumstances so that officers/regulators look at it more closely? If you have any leverage, your help will be appreciated.
There are no RO concessions. It's your choice for the traveling outside Canada.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
It's your choice for the traveling outside Canada.

You keep on insisting.

Then I will have to reply.

No, your statement is not correct. What I chosen is to return on short notice, that is my choice. Then what happened due to pandemic, all the rest was imposed by exogenous circumstances out of control.

I traveled before the outbreak at least outside of China. Wearing a mask was even an odd thing at that time (expect for Asian for which it is often custom).
Yet, I could have managed to return to Canada but there are countries that have applied extremely difficult policies for flight bans, so not all countries are equal in this respect.

By the way, there have been few repatriation flights during first pandemic outbreak but it was immediately FULL just after it has been announced.

Here you can see how this managed by various countries.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Some countries are classified as "totally restrictive".

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Adding this to complete my previous post;

Please bear in mind a very important thing, is some of the concerned countries, flying outbound is very tricky but not impossible, thus I am working on it so I can fly back. But flying inbound is Impossible.
Then we are left with a very severe problem, which is if one of our elderly people needs support during COVID it is virtually impossible for us to get back there from Canada. This certainly belongs to register of compassionate aspects. But all in all, this put the emphasis that this situation presents exceptional challenges, yet RO is applied like if the circumstances were normal. I've seen some reporting possible indulgence in the future by border officers but without something officially stated who would want to take a risk.

I also know people who are delaying there COPR first landing, exceeding already by far the 1-year allowance, but it is conceded that doing so can be accepted (webform request). Cannot say this is double standard because the status COPR first landing / PR RO is not exactly the same, yet the rigidity on RO tends to impose a serious burden when circumstances are challenging.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's your choice for the traveling outside Canada.

You keep on insisting.

Then I will have to reply.

No, your statement is not correct. What I chosen is to return on short notice, that is my choice. Then what happened due to pandemic, all the rest was imposed by exogenous circumstances out of control.

I traveled before the outbreak at least outside of China. Wearing a mask was even an odd thing at that time (expect for Asian for which it is often custom).
Yet, I could have managed to return to Canada but there are countries that have applied extremely difficult policies for flight bans, so not all countries are equal in this respect.

By the way, there have been few repatriation flights during first pandemic outbreak but it was immediately FULL just after it has been announced.

Here you can see how this managed by various countries.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Some countries are classified as "totally restrictive".
There has been a very large number of people who have traveled to Canada so it is possible to travel. By leaving your travel plans until the last minute to meet RO you have put yourself in a position where timing isn't ideal but not traveling due to constipation issues is not a reason to not travel. If you had cystic fibrosis then travelling would be a life threatening situation. You will have to address not meeting your RO when you enter Canada in the future. The RO is already incredibly lenient.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Which part of 'totally restricted' do you not understand?

I have provided you the official IATA status of countries whereas flights are banned since day one of the pandemic. Repatriation flights provided by official authorities occurred during first outbreak (only few in April/May) and obviously were immediately full. There was no direct flight to Canada available since then.

In addition, by 'last minute' you are being judgmental. Nothing entitles you to be judgmental.

As long as I am abroad within my RO allowance I am on my full right to return at what you call 'the last minute' if I want to exercise that right. This is by law. The rest pertains to opinions. Yet, if a natural disaster, act-of-God or a force majeure event occurs at the 'last minute' then it must be accounted for in a way or another so not to put the subject person in a condition of extreme hardship.
When do natural disaster occur? very rarely. Now we are into it.

In France (but also other other EU countries), just 4 weeks from now, none has expected the magnitude of the 2nd wave outbreak, so what they did allow their society economy to function quasi normally. Now what we experience is that - in less than 3 weeks of time, France adopted a huge lock down. Their scientific council itself has admitted that they failed to predict the magnitude of the so-called 2nd wave. Now they do not even know if they can waive the lock down for Christmas or not.

On the other hand we have a RO rule that is intangible, inflexible, and - an even more aggravated fact is that this situation can provide dangerous incentive for people to travel back to Canada to meet their RO (if hypothetically they have little allowance) with their health at stake and to do so during a period where travel should be strongly dis-recommended for obvious reasons.