+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine Plan Advice

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
Good day,

I am a PR due to Express Entry, did a “soft landing” last year to finalize my status and settle other gov’t stuffs, and am planning to do a “hard landing” sometime early 2021. I understand that policies regarding quarantine due to COVID19 may change by the time I fly but I want to somewhat be prepared with what to expect before I book a plane ticket...

So actually, I plan to move to Toronto area. I have a close friend there and am planning to stay with her and her family since her sister just got married and moved out (so they have a vacant room for me) while I’m looking for work and for an apartment to lease but for the 14 day quarantine/isolation period, even if I plan to take a swab test before flying to make sure I am COVID19 negative, I would prefer *not* to stay at their place just to be on the safe side. However, although I do have money saved up, of course I’d prefer not to spend as much as I can while I still don’t have income/employment.

Given this, I was considering to book a cheaper airbnb instead of a hotel to be more economical... but I am wondering how I’d be able to get supplies if I can’t leave the airbnb since I’d technically be staying there alone. Would I be able to book a delivery service like Food Panda or UberEats or have groceries delivered online?

(If anyone has experienced staying at a hotel or an airbnb and can recommend me the hotel/listing you used, I’d appreciate it as well.)

Also, another question — has anyone experienced flying to Canada with stopovers (aka non-direct flights)? Because I originally (pre-COVID) planned to fly direct but since I’d need to spend money on the quarantine, I’m also considering if it’s possible to save up on the flight instead and putting the money to add some more budget to where I’d stay for quarantine...

Finally, how likely is it that a hotel or an airbnb would cancel my reservation for a quarantine stay? Because I tried looking for a place online and none of the hotels or listings have any info on whether they’d accept people undergoing quarantine or not and I’m, like, super scared as well of suddenly landing in Toronto, only to find out that I won’t have anywhere to go to. I mean, technically, since I checked the gov’t websites and all, my friend’s place does pass the requirements since I’ll have my own room and no one staying there is above 65 or sick (immuno-compromised) and I’ll be making sure to bring disinfectants and cleaning agents to clean up after me, so at the worst case scenario, I don’t need to stay out on the streets *but* I’m worried and want to make sure I do everything I can to plan so that such a thing won’t happen. (Which is why if someone can recommend a place that’s 100% confirmed willing to take in people undergoing the 14-day isolation that’s not too expensive, I’d appreciate it )

Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day,

I am a PR due to Express Entry, did a “soft landing” last year to finalize my status and settle other gov’t stuffs, and am planning to do a “hard landing” sometime early 2021. I understand that policies regarding quarantine due to COVID19 may change by the time I fly but I want to somewhat be prepared with what to expect before I book a plane ticket...

So actually, I plan to move to Toronto area. I have a close friend there and am planning to stay with her and her family since her sister just got married and moved out (so they have a vacant room for me) while I’m looking for work and for an apartment to lease but for the 14 day quarantine/isolation period, even if I plan to take a swab test before flying to make sure I am COVID19 negative, I would prefer *not* to stay at their place just to be on the safe side. However, although I do have money saved up, of course I’d prefer not to spend as much as I can while I still don’t have income/employment.

Given this, I was considering to book a cheaper airbnb instead of a hotel to be more economical... but I am wondering how I’d be able to get supplies if I can’t leave the airbnb since I’d technically be staying there alone. Would I be able to book a delivery service like Food Panda or UberEats or have groceries delivered online?

(If anyone has experienced staying at a hotel or an airbnb and can recommend me the hotel/listing you used, I’d appreciate it as well.)

Also, another question — has anyone experienced flying to Canada with stopovers (aka non-direct flights)? Because I originally (pre-COVID) planned to fly direct but since I’d need to spend money on the quarantine, I’m also considering if it’s possible to save up on the flight instead and putting the money to add some more budget to where I’d stay for quarantine...

Finally, how likely is it that a hotel or an airbnb would cancel my reservation for a quarantine stay? Because I tried looking for a place online and none of the hotels or listings have any info on whether they’d accept people undergoing quarantine or not and I’m, like, super scared as well of suddenly landing in Toronto, only to find out that I won’t have anywhere to go to. I mean, technically, since I checked the gov’t websites and all, my friend’s place does pass the requirements since I’ll have my own room and no one staying there is above 65 or sick (immuno-compromised) and I’ll be making sure to bring disinfectants and cleaning agents to clean up after me, so at the worst case scenario, I don’t need to stay out on the streets *but* I’m worried and want to make sure I do everything I can to plan so that such a thing won’t happen. (Which is why if someone can recommend a place that’s 100% confirmed willing to take in people undergoing the 14-day isolation that’s not too expensive, I’d appreciate it )

Thanks in advance
Plenty of people staying at Airbnbs. It is really best if you stay elsewhere especially if you do not have your own en suite washroom at your friend’s house or separate area like a basement. You don’t need to take a direct flight. You’ll need to check with the airline for any requirement.

Reactions: jlyang

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day,

Thanks in advance
You can contact and check with the hotel/ airbnb host in advance to see if they accept your reservation to quarantine in their place.

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020
Good day,

Thanks in advance
Hi Jlyang,

Not to Toronto but am planning to move to Quebec next year if there is some ease in travel restriction and I was just searching on the web for quarantine plan. I was reading the details of these 2 below pasted links. Just saw your query in the forum so I pasted both links here. Please check. Hopefully these links will give some sort of idea to you. Thanks.
https://www.ulaval.ca/en/covid-19/mandatory-quarantine
https://www.ulaval.ca/sites/default/files/COVID-19/Quarantine Plan.pdf