+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine Exemption - Entry without visa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok, but I am still unclear what’s the purpose of the PHAC approval then. Do I need to reach to IRCC to expedite my visa application...exempting biometrics?
What does the PHAC approval say? Did you ask to be exempted from quarantine requirements?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What does the PHAC approval say? Did you ask to be exempted from quarantine requirements?
I think OP is wondering what the purpose of it is, since OP doesn’t have have a visitor visa approved and still needs biometrics. I think OP thought it would allow travel to Canada without a visitor visa or be exempted from biometrics so visitor visa can be approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think OP is wondering what the purpose of it is, since OP doesn’t have have a visitor visa approved and still needs biometrics. I think OP thought it would allow travel to Canada without a visitor visa or be exempted from biometrics so visitor visa can be approved.
It can actually allow you to travel without having to do biometrics. It is really dependent on the situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It can actually allow you to travel without having to do biometrics. It is really dependent on the situation.
Agree but in post #3, the OP states,

I re-read the letter and realized that the approval letter on compassionate grounds is from PHAC and not IRCC. It also mentions that this letter alone is not to be considered a valid travel document.

So the letter says that it is not considered a travel document, which I though would mean that a TRV is still needed. Again OP hasn’t posted the letter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree but in post #3, the OP states,

I re-read the letter and realized that the approval letter on compassionate grounds is from PHAC and not IRCC. It also mentions that this letter alone is not to be considered a valid travel document.

So the letter says that it is not considered a travel document, which I though would mean that a TRV is still needed. Again OP hasn’t posted the letter.
Which is why I asked to post the letter. There are people who are exempted from biometrics and do get travel approval via PHAC so it isn’t impossible.

Toss

Apr 3, 2021
Which is why I asked to post the letter. There are people who are exempted from biometrics and do get travel approval via PHAC so it isn’t impossible.
Thanks for your responses. Please see below the contents of the letter

Subject: Public Health Agency of Canada Application for Exemption from COVID-19 Canadian Travel Restrictions and Limited Release from Mandatory Federal Quarantine for Compassionate Reasons

You have been conditionally approved for exemption from the COVID-19 travel restrictions and limited release from the mandatory 14-day quarantine requirements for compassionate reasons as per the Conditions for Limited Release specified below, to: provide care for a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, temporary resident, protected person or a person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act who is residing in Canada who has a medical reason as to why they require support.

You must present this letter when checking in, boarding your flight and to Canada Border Services Agency officers and/or a Quarantine Officer upon entry to Canada.
Good day,
Your application for exemption from the COVID-19 travel restrictions for compassionate reasons under either subsection 5.2 of the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from the United States), or subsection 3.1 of the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any Country Other than the United States) and/or subsection 7.1(1) of

Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation), No. 6 (as superseded or amended) has been assessed.
This exemption and limited release are only applicable to federal entry and quarantine requirements. Provinces, territories, municipalities, public facilities and private venues may have additional restrictions on your ability to enter and visit certain locations during the 14- day period following your entry to Canada. You are encouraged to consult with the applicable province/territory AND/OR private/public facility for any additional requirements or restrictions regarding entry or mandatory quarantine, as any stricter measures will apply.
For more information on travel restrictions in the province or territory you are visiting, see:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus- infection/symptoms/provincial-territorial-resources-covid-19.html.
This letter is not a travel document and does not, on its own, authorize you to travel to Canada without a valid passport, visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) that you may require to travel to Canada. To board your flight and/or to enter Canada, you must continue to meet all the usual eligibility and admissibility requirements in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). The final decision on admission to Canada is made by Border Services Officers at Canadian ports of entry. Symptomatic foreign nationals will not be permitted to enter Canada.
The approval for exemption from the COVID-19 travel restrictions is valid for a single entry into Canada and solely for the purpose of this travel as specified in your application. The approval for limited release from the mandatory quarantine requirements is valid for the location(s) and purpose specified in your application.

Ram21

Apr 4, 2021
I'm also in the same boat, Please help me out, by providing the process how you applied and received approval letter on compassionate grounds? I mean their email id and the details you submitted via email or forms please.

Also is this an exemption letter for visa, so can we travel without visitor visa (using this exemption letter) to Canada, Please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm also in the same boat, Please help me out, by providing the process how you applied and received approval letter on compassionate grounds? I mean their email id and the details you submitted via email or forms please.

Also is this an exemption letter for visa, so can we travel without visitor visa (using this exemption letter) to Canada, Please advise.
This letter allows for exemption from quarantine. The OP still needs a visa as stated,

“This letter is not a travel document and does not, on its own, authorize you to travel to Canada without a valid passport, visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) that you may require to travel to Canada. To board your flight and/or to enter Canada, you must continue to meet all the usual eligibility and admissibility requirements in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).”

The PHAC forms are on the website but you still need a TRV or eTA

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/compassionate-entry-limited-release-from-quarantine.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The letter exempts you from the travel restrictions (meaning you can travel to Canada despite the travel ban). The letter also provides limited release from the 14 day quarantine.

The letter does not exempt you from any other requirement.

You must still obtain a TRV in order to be able to travel to Canada. The letter does not exempt you from biometrics.

Ram21

Apr 4, 2021
This letter allows for exemption from quarantine. The OP still needs a visa as stated,

“This letter is not a travel document and does not, on its own, authorize you to travel to Canada without a valid passport, visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) that you may require to travel to Canada. To board your flight and/or to enter Canada, you must continue to meet all the usual eligibility and admissibility requirements in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).”

The PHAC forms are on the website but you still need a TRV or eTA

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/compassionate-entry-limited-release-from-quarantine.html
Thank you, Please let me know how can I apply for an ETA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, Please let me know how can I apply for an ETA?
What country are you from? Do you hold a valid U.S. green card? eTAs are only available to certain people.

Ram21

Apr 4, 2021
You are eligible for an eTA if you are from a visa exempt country such as European countries.
I'm from India, Please advise how to get ETA to travel from India to Canada (Since my daughter is pregnant, and I'm applying for PHAC approval)?

Ram21

Apr 4, 2021
What country are you from? Do you hold a valid U.S. green card? eTAs are only available to certain people.
I'm from India, lpease advise how to get ETA to travel from India to Canada (Since my daughter is pregnant, and I'm applying for PHAC approval)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm from India, lpease advise how to get ETA to travel from India to Canada (Since my daughter is pregnant, and I'm applying for PHAC approval)?
You do not qualify for an eTA.

You need to apply for a TRV if you want to travel to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl