+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine Exemption - Entry without visa

Toss

Apr 3, 2021
Hi, we have got an exemption to enter Canada and also to not quarantine at Govt authorized facility (We will be quarantining at private residence). IRCC says we have to provide the exemption letter at the time of check-In, and at the Border.

Are we good to travel with the exemption letter and valid passport. Our Visitor Visa application was stuck in biometrics stage and we then got an exemption on compassionate grounds. Will there be any questioning at the airlines or in the border since we don’t have valid visa to enter to Canada and our application is still in processing stage?

Anything else that we need to take note of?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, we have got an exemption to enter Canada and also to not quarantine at Govt authorized facility (We will be quarantining at private residence). IRCC says we have to provide the exemption letter at the time of check-In, and at the Border.

Are we good to travel with the exemption letter and valid passport. Our Visitor Visa application was stuck in biometrics stage and we then got an exemption on compassionate grounds. Will there be any questioning at the airlines or in the border since we don’t have valid visa to enter to Canada and our application is still in processing stage?

Anything else that we need to take note of?
Yes there could be questioning by the airline. I assume you have been given paperwork to show that you have been granted entry via compassionate grounds. The grounds may need to call immigration to verify this so I would give yourself enough time at the airport. Depending on your grounds for compassionate entry public health in that province may have different requirements than IRCC. Public health and CBSA will be the one to determine if your quarantine plans are acceptable. For example if you are visiting someone who is pregnant you will need to remain in a separate location like a basement suite or public health will not allow you to remain in the home with someone more vulnerable to covid.

Toss

Apr 3, 2021
Thank you for the response.

I re-read the letter and realized that the approval letter on compassionate grounds is from PHAC and not IRCC. It also mentions that this letter alone is not to be considered a valid travel document. Does that mean that I still need to get visitor visa to travel(My visitor visa application is stuck in biometrics stage.)?

Toss

Apr 3, 2021
Subcontinent.

So, it looks like I need visitor visa, but will I be able to book a biometric appointment with this letter?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Subcontinent.

So, it looks like I need visitor visa, but will I be able to book a biometric appointment with this letter?
It depends whether the biometrics centres in your country are accepting appoints for TRVs or not.

Which country are you from?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Will I be able to get an eTA instead or use the letter to book a biometric appointment?
Any chance you hold a valid US green card? If so, you would qualify for an eTA. Otherwise you need to get a TRV to travel to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Subcontinent.

Sorry - I was reading too quickly. Looks like you are from India. In that case, you should expect that getting biometrics done in India at this time will not be possible You can fly to Dubai or Nepal to get biometrics done.

Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I re-read the letter and realized that the approval letter on compassionate grounds is from PHAC and not IRCC. It also mentions that this letter alone is not to be considered a valid travel document. Does that mean that I still need to get visitor visa to travel(My visitor visa application is stuck in biometrics stage.)?
Is the letter to enter Canada or to be able to quarantine in a private residence not a quarantine hotel? If you could post the information without any personal information that would be more helpful.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. If you are from a non exempt country, then you need a TRV as well to travel.

Toss

Apr 3, 2021
Hi

1. If you are from a non exempt country, then you need a TRV as well to travel.
Ok, but I am still unclear what’s the purpose of the PHAC approval then. Do I need to reach to IRCC to expedite my visa application...exempting biometrics?