+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QSW for foreign student (PhD student)

theodoreyang

Mar 5, 2018
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-quebec/when-where-submit.html
Hi,

I am a PhD student in mechanical engineering. If i had enough points according to the skilled worker selection grid, can I apply for QSW just after passing the doctoral qualifying exam? Or have to wait until the final year of the PhD program?

Since PEQ stream can only be approved after graduation, I would like to know if there is any PhD student got the CSQ by QSW before the thesis defence? I also heard that the QSW stream will cost over one year to get the CSQ, even it is submitted in quebec.

Thanks

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/application-csq/students-quebec/when-where-submit.html
Hi,

I am a PhD student in mechanical engineering. If i had enough points according to the skilled worker selection grid, can I apply for QSW just after passing the doctoral qualifying exam? Or have to wait until the final year of the PhD program?

Since PEQ stream can only be approved after graduation, I would like to know if there is any PhD student got the CSQ by QSW before the thesis defence? I also heard that the QSW stream will cost over one year to get the CSQ, even it is submitted in quebec.

Thanks
You can apply when you have finished at least half of your study program. For PhD that's 18 months from the start of the program.

There's no solid timeline available for QSW program. Currently there are lots of applicants who have been waiting for around a year or more.

theodoreyang

Mar 5, 2018
You can apply when you have finished at least half of your study program. For PhD that's 18 months from the start of the program.

There's no solid timeline available for QSW program. Currently there are lots of applicants who have been waiting for around a year or more.
Thank you, do you know any PhD who applied for QSW after finishing 18 months' study and got the CSQ successfully?
I called MIDI for this question, the telephone agent told me PhD can apply when the PhD program will finish within 12 months.

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Thank you, do you know any PhD who applied for QSW after finishing 18 months' study and got the CSQ successfully?
I called MIDI for this question, the telephone agent told me PhD can apply when the PhD program will finish within 12 months.
I know many people who have gotten their CSQ with the 18 months rule.

arccos0

Sep 13, 2018
I know many people who have gotten their CSQ with the 18 months rule.
Hi,
Currently, in the similar situation (also Ph.D in a university in Quebec), I am planning to apply for QSW at end of the next year. Till that time, I can meet the 18 months requirement. However, is it possible to make the application in advance by only using my master degree as education background? Coz I tried to calculate the score in this case, the bottom line can still be reached.
As for the 18 months rule, should I provide a proof from the school to indicate the exact finishing time of my Ph.D study? I am still concerned about the timing.

Thanks

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi,
Currently, in the similar situation (also Ph.D in a university in Quebec), I am planning to apply for QSW at end of the next year. Till that time, I can meet the 18 months requirement. However, is it possible to make the application in advance by only using my master degree as education background? Coz I tried to calculate the score in this case, the bottom line can still be reached.
As for the 18 months rule, should I provide a proof from the school to indicate the exact finishing time of my Ph.D study? I am still concerned about the timing.

Thanks
MIDI has started changing the immigration rules since August. They will no longer accept applications on a first come-first serve basis and have stopped accepting new applications using Mon Projet Quebec. They will introduce a new system mirroring Express Entry, i.e. a pool of candidates will be created and certain numbers of applicants with highest scores will be invited to apply for CSQ. For now they haven't announced any solid rules for the new system. They haven't even started the new process so everything is unclear at the moment. Check their website regularly for any news or update regarding the new system. Their online portal is going to be named Arrima but they haven't opened it yet. Good luck!

theodoreyang

Mar 5, 2018
Hi,

Thanks
Phoenixation has well explained the current situation and the only thing is to wait for the new system.
I guess the first several rounds of invitation would be at quite high scores (maybe 60+), coz a lot of candidates have quebec degree+training scores+local working exp. My score can just touch the bottom line but maybe not enough to be invited.

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Phoenixation has well explained the current situation and the only thing is to wait for the new system.
I guess the first several rounds of invitation would be at quite high scores (maybe 60+), coz a lot of candidates have quebec degree+training scores+local working exp. My score can just touch the bottom line but maybe not enough to be invited.
I agree... I remember it took about 2 years for Express Entry scores to diminish to something manageable and it was too high at the beginning.