+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QC Health Card doesnt cover while waiting for BC MSP?

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Hello everyone,

I recently landed in BC as PR (23-Dec-2014) and applied for BC MSP. I called QC RAMQ to cancel my health care card(which i got as a temp foreign worker with sin no starting '9'). Usually the previous province covers you till I get the BC MSP (as per bc msp website) but in my case quebec ramq informed me that my health care card will be cancelled and i need to mail them back the health care card with a declaration(to be sent by fax that i dont ramq since i moved).

When asked about my coverage during BC MSP wait time, they told me QC will not cover me since my SIN in the past starts with '9' i.e temp resident.

I dont understand why the rule is like that in qc when my SIN is changed after I became PR.

Can someone suggest if they have experienced similar situation? Most of the insurance companies i spoke to declined to giv me travel health insurance that i can purchase as new immigrant to canada.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
They might have misunderstood you at Blue Cross. They probably thought that since you are eligible for provincial coverage you can't get private coverage. They didn't consider that you have a waiting period.

What you need is Visitors to Canada policy that will cover you during the waiting period till MSP kicks in. Blue Cross might not be the best choice anyway since their premiums are usually higher.

You can take a look at Manulife or TIC. TIC has a lower waiting period since you are already in Canada- it's only 2 days till it becomes effective.

Just contact them and ask for Visitors Policy during the waiting period.

Or you can use their calculator to check quotes:

<a href=https://arbetovinsurance.com/tic-visitors-to-canada-medical-emergency-insurance-benefits/>TIC Visitors Policy</a>