+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q 11 - home address or company address?

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Scenario: the company I worked for was based in Montreal while I lived in Quebec City. However, I worked on contract by going to clients offices in Quebec City (where I lived).

I understand question 11 to be about the company's info but I'm in limbo here

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
I have no doubt that no one at IRCC really knows what's happening. :)
But my last recommendation is based on the official CIC Facebook which I think is the most reliable source we can get right now. Not that it is very reliable but at least it's better than nothing.

If anything, then them being confused is good news. They will accept either :)
"Where were you physically located" why didn't they mention "address"? Why the street number and name is only required rather than full address( if diff from previous question). Again we are not arguing. I trust you, but these need to be clarified.

BTW, I don't see the Facebook immigration man saying write your company address. He said "write the address where you physically located for your job" still could mean the house. I live in the same place as my company. I am physically located only for 8 hours ( for 5 days)in the company and 16 hours in my house.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
"Where were you physically located" why didn't they mention "address"? Why the street number and name is only required rather than full address( if diff from previous question). Again we are not arguing. I trust you, but these need to be clarified.

BTW, I don't see the Facebook immigration man saying write your company address. He said "write the address where you physically located for your job" still could mean the house. I live in the same place as my company. I am physically located only for 8 hours ( for 5 days)in the company and 16 hours in my house.
First, I know we aren't arguing. I think we are both just trying to make sense of IRCC being non-precise.

OK, so here is my "theory":
- They originally wanted to simply write "address"
- but then they feared that someone who worked for, say, Bombardier, but actually worked in Switzerland, would write the Canadian address of Bombardier in the form
- So to clarify that they don't want the mailing address or the address of the company headquarters, they wrote "physical location" so that they write the "address where you were physically located for your job".

About that last quote: I'm not a linguist, but the way I read the sentence is that I am physically localted at my office for my job, not my home. Someone might live in Mississauga BECAUSE they have a job in Toronto, but still they are physically located in Toronto for their job.

Again, I am not a linguist and not even a native English speaker, but that is how I read that sentence.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
First, I know we aren't arguing. I think we are both just trying to make sense of IRCC being non-precise.

- but then they feared that someone who worked for, say, Bombardier, but actually worked in Switzerland, would write the Canadian address of Bombardier in the form
- So to clarify that they don't want the mailing address or the address of the company headquarters, they wrote "physical location" so that they write the "address where you were physically located for your job".

About that last quote: I'm not a linguist, but the way I read the sentence is that I am physically localted at my office for my job, not my home. Someone might live in Mississauga BECAUSE they have a job in Toronto, but still they are physically located in Toronto for their job.

Again, I am not a linguist and not even a native English speaker, but that is how I read that sentence.
I would go with spyfy. The physical located address is meant for where were you while you are working for said company/employer. You were not at home while working unless unemployed or working from home.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010

Yes now I got what you mean. Thank you.. I wrote my home address (same city as my company). It is a school and well known that is Canadian with no other branches.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Do we put in N/A in all empty "name of contact" / "email address" if not known or leave it blank?

Including N/A in Name of employer column if unemployed?

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
If you are studying in the college in same city where you live, so in front of college do you have to put College street address or you home street address. any ideas

And do you have to give the contact details of your teacher, or a co-student or a afmily friend number will be enough ?

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
If you are studying in the college in same city where you live, so in front of college do you have to put College street address or you home street address. any ideas

And do you have to give the contact details of your teacher, or a co-student or a afmily friend number will be enough ?
I think you should put your Univ/ college address and the Program Admin/ registrars name and email

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

You use your college street address where you attended your course.

I don't think contact name for college is really not required. Phone number of college should suffice. CIC can call the number to verify your education credential if they want to. You can't be expected to know the name of the faculty staff. I am only listing the phone number and name of service where LINC course was taken as an example.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
I was in client locations all the time. However I cannot remember the exact months for each client as I was going to atleast 4 clients every month.

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
I was working for the same client for 4 years but was moving to different locations. Is it better to write just the last location I was working at?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Again, at the risk of being too repetitive (and this will be the last topic in which I post this), but my best effort (within time constraints given a looming deadline to submit a manuscript in my day job) to offer some input in the overflow of threads addressing numerous issues, questions, and concerns, and much confusion, related to the roll out of the new form, new rules, and new instructions for citizenship applications, it seems warranted, to me, to repeat with some emphasis a recognition of the problems juxtaposed with positive assurance that IRCC will almost certainly work its way through most of the issues.

In particular . . .

CAUTION: rollout pitfalls; pretty form not-so-pretty muddle; BUT there are reasons to RELAX

As I had cautioned, well before October 11, the roll out of the new citizenship application rules and process probably would be (and it is) fraught with issues. But for the details, the new application form is pretty, a format which office manager types should appreciate, since in form it appears to be user-friendly while at the same time processing-friendly. As usual, however, the devil lurks ominously in the details. And no more than a glance is necessary to see problems lurking in some of the details, as is amply illustrated by the plethora of questions and confusion being discussed in many new topics here.

At this juncture many have already sent their applications off. And it appears many more will do so today or tomorrow. Not the prudent way to navigate this but what is in the hopper is in the hopper, or to mangle metaphors, the cake is in the oven and it is time to wait to see if it rises properly.

But there are reasons to RELAX, to not worry so much.

This is true for those who have (imprudently in my view) rushed sending off an application, and for those preparing an application who are struggling with the many vague, ambiguous, or otherwise problematic questions and instructions.

IRCC is almost certainly going to exercise a good deal of flexibility in how it handles the first batch of applications using the new form and presence calculator.

Sure, many if not most of those who rushed to apply right away can anticipate the processing of their applications to be delayed some, compared to applications made after the-dust-settles, so to say. But for the vast majority of applicants who rushed, that should be the worst of it, a little or a moderate delay in processing. No big deal. No long-term delays. Not much risk of a negative outcome.

In particular, overall:

Applicants who submit an application which is complete and on its face demonstrates their qualification for citizenship, and who make a concerted effort to understand what was requested, as best they can, and who provide as best they can, according to their best assessment of how to respond based on the facts in their situation, a complete, accurate, and honest response, it is most likely all will go well, NO PROBLEM, perhaps some inherent, inevitable delays due to the roll-out-blues, but no serious problems. IRCC is going to accept and deal with various approaches to answering numerous parts of this form, at least until the dust settles and there is more clarification about what IRCC expects.

The above is in large part derived from a longer post, from more detailed observations including discussion about some of the more salient issues. Follow link in quote below to see full post.

But there are reasons to RELAX, to not worry so much.

This is true for those who have (imprudently in my view) rushed sending off an application, and for those preparing an application who are struggling with the many vague, ambiguous, or otherwise problematic questions and instructions.

IRCC is almost certainly going to exercise a good deal of flexibility in how it handles the first batch of applications using the new form and presence calculator.

As badly as the roll out has gone, as poorly composed the form is, and despite that steepest part of the learning curve those total-stranger-bureaucrats will be struggling with when they are processing the first batch of new-rules-new-form applications, IRCC is going to work, and probably work very hard, to make all this work, and thus IRCC will almost certainly be understanding and perhaps very liberal in how it assesses responses to the more confusing and problematic items.

Item 11 (work or school history):

I think my overall observation applies to item 11 as well, that as long as the applicant is reasonably responsive, providing the key information even if falling short in some of the details, IRCC will most likely adapt and be liberal in how it assesses this information.

For anyone who has been following residency and presence issues for long, it is easy to see that IRCC is seeking a way to obtain a wide range of information it can use to verify the applicant's work history. But as most have observed, Q 11 is a mess, it is vague, in part ambiguous, perhaps overreaching to some extent (asking for contact information for old employers, for example). Some of the questions posed above, as to very particular situations, illustrate the difficulties this item poses for many applicants.

For now, I can see no better approach than that I describe above, which is basically to just do the best you can to be responsive, being sure to provide key information even if falling short in some details.

This is one of the items IRCC really needs to either fix or be more precise about in the instructions.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi all,
I have a silly question, was unemployed for 5 months during my eligibility period, do i need to provide "name of contact, phone number and email for Question 11?"..i hope not!...Any ideas..this part of the application form kinda sucks!

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
Hi Guys.
For question 11, I am a bit confused about the current duration of work.
For the end date "(To)"of the current job should I write "2017-10" or "Present"?
I am now working in a company and I was student before for the whole eligibility period.
For the occupation field do you need to also indicate the field of my current work or my job title is enough.
Also, for my post grad studies, is it enough to say I was "student and research assistant" at my university. Or I also need to include the my field of study?

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Guys.
For question 11, I am a bit confused about the current duration of work.
For the end date "(To)"of the current job should I write "2017-10" or "Present"?
I am now working in a company and I was student before for the whole eligibility period.
For the occupation field do you need to also indicate the field of my current work or my job title is enough.
Also, for my post grad studies, is it enough to say I was "student and research assistant" at my university. Or I also need to include the my field of study?
The guide says "Tell us what you have been doing during the eligibility period."
Hence, if you entered a date you'll be fine as long as it aligns with the end date of the eligibility period outlined in the physical presence calculator. Alternatively present should work too. I think you're covered both ways