+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pursuing a Master's only for immigration purposes. [Questions about PGWPP]

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Yup, you have to prove the position to the visa officer. But getting job in NOC:O, A,B is not that simple..On my personal experience I would suggest you to start looking for the position job from first day itself..as you won’t waste your time after getting PGWP
Good advice! I'll get thing
Would read about @Stay calm and positive posts. They were in a similar position as you. Public health isn’t one of the residencies that is really sought after by Canadian graduates. You may want to consider doing the licensing exams and seeing if you can get a match.

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5ruh39TJkpN_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf

The 4 years of residency wouldn’t be considered schooling. I am aware that KSA relied on Canada to train their residents although I’m not if that has restarted after there was a conflict and KSA pulled their students from Canada. It always comes down to where you trained when employers are looking at your CV. Knowing people who work in public health the majority of jobs are done by nurses. Some still practicing and some not. Also know sone pharmacists that work on drug specific program but those jobs are pretty rare. You mentioned you were looking at doing an MPH but then you said you are already doing an MPH. Have you already started? Just pointing out that masters in MPH programs graduate a large amount of students and unfortunately students discover that there aren’t enough jobs for all the graduates. MPH won’t lead to jobs changing how healthcare is delivered. In terms of hospital management it tends to be ex-practioners who have worked in the system for a long time. They may or may not have an MBA or MHA. Heathcare is delivered provincially so you would need to get a job with the ministry of health. An MBA is likely a better option for what you want to pursue
No, I have not started my MPH, I was talking hypothetically. To be frank with you, The reason for pursuing a Master's at Canada is immigration, and now that I learned I'm legally allowed to work at any job just because I studied at Canada makes it even more attractive. MPH is cheaper than MPA and is a bonus to a decade-long presence in the field. If that card didn't work, I'd look for other jobs in NOC 0,A,B that could satisfy the PR requirement. At the end of the day, I have other investments in life and my long-term plan is to retire early and settle somewhere nice around Niagara.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good advice! I'll get thing

No, I have not started my MPH, I was talking hypothetically. To be frank with you, The reason for pursuing a Master's at Canada is immigration, and now that I learned I'm legally allowed to work at any job just because I studied at Canada makes it even more attractive. MPH is cheaper than MPA and is a bonus to a decade-long presence in the field. If that card didn't work, I'd look for other jobs in NOC 0,A,B that could satisfy the PR requirement. At the end of the day, I have other investments in life and my long-term plan is to retire early and settle somewhere nice around Niagara.
You still have to qualify for a study permit. Doing an MPH as a physician in preventative medicine doesn’t make a lot of sense because it doesn’t create better career opportunities so you’ll have to see if you are approved. In general you have to show why it makes sense to pursue the degree, show that you’ll return home after your studies and that the degree leads to career advancement.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
You still have to qualify for a study permit. Doing an MPH as a physician in preventative medicine doesn’t make a lot of sense because it doesn’t create better career opportunities so you’ll have to see if you are approved. In general you have to show why it makes sense to pursue the degree, show that you’ll return home after your studies and that the degree leads to career advancement.
I appreciate you and how you stuck with me during this thread. Your advices are always on-point. Last year, I received five MPH offers from the US and UK, but I don't know man. Canada has a different vibe, different people. It's worth the extra mile and risk.

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Hello,
I'm an early 30s single physician, board-certified in Preventive Medicine (Arab board).
I'm looking to immigrate to Canada. The only hassle is that I do not want to practice Medicine in Canada (hence won't be doing any licensing exams). I'm more interested in academic/environmental/administration jobs in healthcare. Putting all the pieces together. I've came to the conclusion that a Master's of Public Health (MPH) is the way to go. It's a 2-year program, focused on improving the health echo-system as a whole, which is what I've always wanted to be part of. I've worked as a physician for a couple of years, and decided to leave the career for good and shift my focus and attention on improving the infrastructure of healthcare as a whole. However, I'm concerned about not finding a job after obtaining my 3-year PGWPP. What happens then? It is my understanding that such permit cannot be extended. In worst case scenarios, would it be okey to look for jobs outside of my academic background just to satisfy the 1-year experience requirement to obtain a PR? Once I get my PR, things would be a whole lot less stressful for job hunting. The province I'm interested in and the university I want to attend is Saskatchewan. Any tips on that province and USASK is highly appreciated.

TL;DR In cases where I don't find a job that fits my academic background, is it acceptable to work at any other field for a year to be granted PR?

Thank you.
Be safe out there.
Just a few things;
- There are many jobs aligned with the medical profession out there. It is just a matter of finding the right one for you.
- Certification and getting equivalency of the profession in the province you wish to reside is an important element of your decision.
- Some provinces nominate EE applicants who did their post-graduate studies in their province. This might be worth your time to research on.
- Processing an ECA takes time for those with a medical degree, so I suggest make this a priority. The assessment of the Medical body I believe takes several months

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
I haven't read all responses in this thread but when I was going to school in Canada, I had friends/roommates/classmates who did medicine from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Iran etc., and they came here to do masters program in medical research. May be you can try this route? You can start by looking into St. Boniface Hospital and Research Center in Winnipeg. There are lots of other medial research centers in Canada so it should not be that difficult for you to find something which interests you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I haven't read all responses in this thread but when I was going to school in Canada, I had friends/roommates/classmates who did medicine from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Iran etc., and they came here to do masters program in medical research. May be you can try this route? You can start by looking into St. Boniface Hospital and Research Center in Winnipeg. There are lots of other medial research centers in Canada so it should not be that difficult for you to find something which interests you.
Many of the research jobs in the larger provinces do require PhDs. Canada has a really competitive medical research sector especially in Toronto. There is a program in Ontario that helps IMG consider different fields. Business and health related tech would be the best options but medical research is often suggested especially if IMGs already have done research and have published.