+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pursuing a Master's only for immigration purposes. [Questions about PGWPP]

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hello,
I'm an early 30s single physician, board-certified in Preventive Medicine (Arab board).
I'm looking to immigrate to Canada. The only hassle is that I do not want to practice Medicine in Canada (hence won't be doing any licensing exams). I'm more interested in academic/environmental/administration jobs in healthcare. Putting all the pieces together. I've came to the conclusion that a Master's of Public Health (MPH) is the way to go. It's a 2-year program, focused on improving the health echo-system as a whole, which is what I've always wanted to be part of. I've worked as a physician for a couple of years, and decided to leave the career for good and shift my focus and attention on improving the infrastructure of healthcare as a whole. However, I'm concerned about not finding a job after obtaining my 3-year PGWPP. What happens then? It is my understanding that such permit cannot be extended. In worst case scenarios, would it be okey to look for jobs outside of my academic background just to satisfy the 1-year experience requirement to obtain a PR? Once I get my PR, things would be a whole lot less stressful for job hunting. The province I'm interested in and the university I want to attend is Saskatchewan. Any tips on that province and USASK is highly appreciated.

TL;DR In cases where I don't find a job that fits my academic background, is it acceptable to work at any other field for a year to be granted PR?

Thank you.
Be safe out there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I'm an early 30s single physician, board-certified in Preventive Medicine (Arab board).
I'm looking to immigrate to Canada. The only hassle is that I do not want to practice Medicine in Canada (hence won't be doing any licensing exams). I'm more interested in academic/environmental/administration jobs in healthcare. Putting all the pieces together. I've came to the conclusion that a Master's of Public Health (MPH) is the way to go. It's a 2-year program, focused on improving the health echo-system as a whole, which is what I've always wanted to be part of. I've worked as a physician for a couple of years, and decided to leave the career for good and shift my focus and attention on improving the infrastructure of healthcare as a whole. However, I'm concerned about not finding a job after obtaining my 3-year PGWPP. What happens then? It is my understanding that such permit cannot be extended. In worst case scenarios, would it be okey to look for jobs outside of my academic background just to satisfy the 1-year experience requirement to obtain a PR? Once I get my PR, things would be a whole lot less stressful for job hunting. The province I'm interested in and the university I want to attend is Saskatchewan. Any tips on that province and USASK is highly appreciated.

TL;DR In cases where I don't find a job that fits my academic background, is it acceptable to work at any other field for a year to be granted PR?

Thank you.
Be safe out there.
You can work in any field. However you want to make sure the job is NOC A, B or 0 in order to count towards Express Entry / CEC / PNP.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
You can work in any field. However you want to make sure the job is NOC A, B or 0 in order to count towards Express Entry / CEC / PNP.
Thank you, excuse me for asking, but the way to get a PR after PGWPP is only through these programs? I thought I would instantly get it after finishing my one-year of work post graduation!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, excuse me for asking, but the way to get a PR after PGWPP is only through these programs? I thought I would instantly get it after finishing my one-year of work post graduation!
No - you certainly do not get PR automatically or instantly after finishing one year of work after graduation.

You have to apply through one of Canada's immigration programs like Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. Many of these programs are points-based, meaning you need to have enough points to beat out other applicants and be selected for PR.

I would recommend you dedicate more time to research so that you understand how PR works. Studying and working in Canada by no means guarantees PR.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
No - you certainly do not get PR automatically or instantly after finishing one year of work after graduation.

You have to apply through one of Canada's immigration programs like Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. Many of these programs are points-based, meaning you need to have enough points to beat out other applicants and be selected for PR.

I would recommend you dedicate more time to research so that you understand how PR works. Studying and working in Canada by no means guarantees PR.
Got it. I've just used their tool and scored a CRS of 490. What do you think my chances are in getting nominated in the express entry program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it. I've just used their tool and scored a CRS of 490. What do you think my chances are in getting nominated in the express entry program?
Very good chances of being selected through Express Entry with that score. Assuming you will be applying in the future vs. now, make sure you are using the right age. Also make sure you are not claiming the 50 points for having a job offer.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Very good chances of being selected through Express Entry with that score. Assuming you will be applying in the future vs. now, make sure you are using the right age. Also make sure you are not claiming the 50 points for having a job offer.
Got it, Thanks. you've been helpful <3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you.
Be safe out there.

Just warning you that there have been other IMGs who have done a masters in public health who were unable to find employment. One went to nursing school afterwards. Public health is a popular masters degree but there are only so many jobs. Many of the public health jobs go to nurses and in general there are only so many public health jobs to go around. To have a chance at academia you'll need a PhD. Teaching jobs at universities are also tough to get.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020

Just warning you that there have been other IMGs who have done a masters in public health who were unable to find employment. One went to nursing school afterwards. Public health is a popular masters degree but there are only so many jobs. Many of the public health jobs go to nurses and in general there are only so many public health jobs to go around. To have a chance at academia you'll need a PhD. Teaching jobs at universities are also tough to get.
Thank you for this, but I'm unlike other IMGs since I'm bored-certified in Preventive Medicine (the clinical branch of public health and an equivalent of PhD) doing this Master's is really an over-qualification, since I will be taught nothing new, but chose to do it only for immigration purposes and getting more points. I would be shocked if I spent 6 years studying the field of public health and an employer doesn't find that impressive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for this, but I'm unlike other IMGs since I'm bored-certified in Preventive Medicine (the clinical branch of public health and an equivalent of PhD) doing this Master's is really an over-qualification, since I will be taught nothing new, but chose to do it only for immigration purposes and getting more points. I would be shocked if I spent 6 years studying the field of public health and an employer doesn't find that impressive.
Depending on where you did your degree unfortunately your degree may not be really recognized by Canadian employers. Although you may consider it an equivalent to a PhD it sounds like you did an MD so you will not be viewed like a PhD graduate. Did you study in university for around 11 years lime a PhD student? Have you worked for a well known public health agency or do you have job experience other than as an MD? I think you are unfortunately in for a big surprise when you come to Canada. IMGs especially end up struggling because their only experience is as an MD. Have you published? That may help if you are trying to get into research but as I said there aren’t a ton of public health jobs given The amount of graduates plus many of the jobs are entry level of require nursing degrees. The pandemic has probably secured longterm public health jobs That were on the chopping block.

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Depending on where you did your degree unfortunately your degree may not be really recognized by Canadian employers. Although you may consider it an equivalent to a PhD it sounds like you did an MD so you will not be viewed like a PhD graduate. Did you study in university for around 11 years lime a PhD student? Have you worked for a well known public health agency or do you have job experience other than as an MD? I think you are unfortunately in for a big surprise when you come to Canada. IMGs especially end up struggling because their only experience is as an MD. Have you published? That may help if you are trying to get into research but as I said there aren’t a ton of public health jobs given The amount of graduates plus many of the jobs are entry level of require nursing degrees. The pandemic has probably secured longterm public health jobs That were on the chopping block.
Hi. Thanks for getting back.
I did an MD for 6 years, then a board for 4 years and now I'm doing a 2-year MPH. So more like 12 years of academic and clinical backgrounds.
I do have a peer-reviewed publication and a 2-year clinical experience as well. I'm from Saudi Arabia, we have an education agreement with Canada and all our credentials are approved by the MCC (both university degree and the Saudi board).

I agree that the Pandemic secured jobs that were on the chopping block. The thing with public health is that I'm not only competing with fellow physicians, but all allied health care providers as well. Let's hope for the best. Thanks again.

Azi007

Sep 13, 2020
Hello,

Thank you.
Be safe out there.
[/QUO
Yes you can work wherever you want.. but it should be from NOC O, A,B. I was dentist back in India, completed masters in Health Admin, got Supervisor position in restaurant..

Thirty30

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Yes you can work wherever you want.. but it should be from NOC O, A,B. I was dentist back in India, completed masters in Health Admin, got Supervisor position in restaurant..
Wow, that's a bald and impressive decision-making ability! I hope things are well with you. After you got your post-graduate work permit, you immediately worked or a restaurant for one-year and got your PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would read about @Stay calm and positive posts. They were in a similar position as you. Public health isn’t one of the residencies that is really sought after by Canadian graduates. You may want to consider doing the licensing exams and seeing if you can get a match.

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5ruh39TJkpN_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf
Hi. Thanks for getting back.
I did an MD for 6 years, then a board for 4 years and now I'm doing a 2-year MPH. So more like 12 years of academic and clinical backgrounds.
I do have a peer-reviewed publication and a 2-year clinical experience as well. I'm from Saudi Arabia, we have an education agreement with Canada and all our credentials are approved by the MCC (both university degree and the Saudi board).

I agree that the Pandemic secured jobs that were on the chopping block. The thing with public health is that I'm not only competing with fellow physicians, but all allied health care providers as well. Let's hope for the best. Thanks again.
The 4 years of residency wouldn’t be considered schooling. I am aware that KSA relied on Canada to train their residents although I’m not if that has restarted after there was a conflict and KSA pulled their students from Canada. It always comes down to where you trained when employers are looking at your CV. Knowing people who work in public health the majority of jobs are done by nurses. Some still practicing and some not. Also know sone pharmacists that work on drug specific program but those jobs are pretty rare. You mentioned you were looking at doing an MPH but then you said you are already doing an MPH. Have you already started? Just pointing out that masters in MPH programs graduate a large amount of students and unfortunately students discover that there aren’t enough jobs for all the graduates. MPH won’t lead to jobs changing how healthcare is delivered. In terms of hospital management it tends to be ex-practioners who have worked in the system for a long time. They may or may not have an MBA or MHA. Heathcare is delivered provincially so you would need to get a job with the ministry of health. An MBA is likely a better option for what you want to pursue

Last edited:

Azi007

Sep 13, 2020
Wow, that's a bald and impressive decision-making ability! I hope things are well with you. After you got your post-graduate work permit, you immediately worked or a restaurant for one-year and got your PR?
Yup, you have to prove the position to the visa officer. But getting job in NOC:O, A,B is not that simple..On my personal experience I would suggest you to start looking for the position job from first day itself..as you won’t waste your time after getting PGWP