+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purchasing Vehicle in Toronto vs USA

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
I'm muling over the thought of waiting until I move to Canada permanently and then buy a vehicle. Alternatively, I'm thinking of buying the said vehicle in the USA before I move to Canada permanently. Can you guys advise me what the pros and cons of such?

I haven't landed in Canada as yet so if I buy the vehicle in the USA then it will form part of my goods to follow and I have no issue with importing the vehicle to Canada. What I'm trying to figure is if I buy the vehicle in Canada then how much is the taxes in Toronto? If I buy the vehicle in the USA then the taxes is 7% on the purchase price but I'm not aware of how much it is in Toronto. Can someone advise? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to make sure a US car will be compliant with all the Canadian safety standards. Also you need to be able to pay of the car completely to bring a US car.

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
You have to make sure a US car will be compliant with all the Canadian safety standards. Also you need to be able to pay of the car completely to bring a US car.
So a vehicle with a loan (even if the loan servicer agreed for the transfer) cannot be imported?

Lee&Stacey

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
So a vehicle with a loan (even if the loan servicer agreed for the transfer) cannot be imported?
From what I've read you do need the title of the vehicle like the others have mentioned. With that said though I got a car loan with LightStream in the US for my last car (about 18 months ago) and it is not secured against the car and I have had the title since a couple of weeks after buying the car and the loan isn't paid off yet.

Reactions: mike2236