+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pulmonary Tuberculosis(Active/Inactive)-History,Sputum Tests,6 mos medication...

jmags

Jul 2, 2023
Hello All - I am looking for your expert opinions.

My parents recently went for their medical exam and the radiologist found some linear and mottled opacities in my dad's chest x-ray. Panel physician referred him for sputum test and told him once the sputum test results come back then he will refer him again to a pulmonologist. Once pulmonologist give him a clearance certificate then they will upload it to CIC.

In the meantime, my father went for a second opinion and doctors told him his x-rays and test results do not suggest TB. Unfortunately panel physician does not want to listen to other physicians.

Now I am so scared as I read some posts where the pulmonologist and Panel physician recommended 6 months treatment though the applicants' sputum test came back negative as well as did not have any symptoms at al. If that happens in my dad's case, can we contact with IRCC RMO directly and provide them all the opinions we got from other physicians? As my father is diabetic so I don't want to make things complicated.

Also he has valid visitor visa, can I bring him here and check up by a Canadian panel physician?

Thank you.
Hi!! Can I ask if you pursued telling the clinic about the result of your dad’s 2nd opinion Xray? I’m also in the same situation wherein I had my 2nd opinion and it was all clear. I’m also planning to email the clinic but I’m still thinking if it will be a good idea. I can’t cough phlegm and I’m worried I will have a hard time giving the sputum samples and may cause so much delay on my application. I don’t have any symptoms and I really don’t have phlegm at all..

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Hi everyone!

Newbie here! Would like to ask if it is advisable to send an email to SLEC Ermita requesting if I could repeat my Xray?

Background story:
Fall intake. September 2023
Medical - June 29
Bio - passed
Eligibility - not started

I had my medical last June 29 and right after I finished all tests, they told me to go the lab and wait for the lab instruction. Right there and then, that situation sinked in.. I was totally nervous and expecting the worst.. and then it happened.. I was given the yellow slip. I got teary eyes when I saw “Sputum” on the paper and immediately my world began to crash, my voice is shaking.. super heartbreaking and devastating.. the lady told me that they seen some “abnormalities” on my X-ray. And she didn’t disclose to me the details. She’s really towards giving me the sputum slip and I don’t like her attitude. Didn’t sympathize with me. I ask what did they saw, she just said “abnormalities” while the only abnormality I know is my Scoliosis.. Isn’t it is one of the Patient’s rights to be informed of his/her diagnosis?? my world really shattered into pieces, I cried to my husband and began to ask “WHY??” and started blaming myself.. immediately after I thought of getting my 2nd opinion from other hospital. Fast forward to July 2, I had my X-Ray done and the results are clear. I also looked into my X-ray files last year and the results are also clear.. as I don’t have history of TB or whatnot.. also our family doesn’t have..

Now my plan is to email SLEC to request a repeat xray and attached all the X-rays i have and the findings. Do you think this is a good action to take? Do you think they will consider my request? Is there anyone in this forum or anyone you know who did the same thing?

I hope you can give me answers!! Thanks a lot!!!
1. It's pointless to ask SLEC because they're not the final decision makers anyway, they just provide the raw data to IRCC and their recommendations, but it's ultimately up to IRCC to call the shots. To make matters worse, IRCC only accepts results from their accredited hospitals, they don't accept second opinions, from other sources.

2. If you're done with your sputum samples, just wait for it. If you're really clear for TB then they'll pass you eventually. It happened to me too, waited 3mos, but in the end I've landed in Canada. and yes, 3 mos. is painfully long, but it's not the end of the world. By they way, after 3 mos, you're going to repeat your X-ray.

3. Since you're marked for sputum testing, you're also probably marked for surveillance, meaning you have to this all over again AFTER you land in Canada - and you have to comply with this otherwise you'll be putting your PR and your potential citizenship application at risk.

So my suggestion is sit back and wait, that's Canada's process, and I feel it won't be changing anytime soon.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi!! Can I ask if you pursued telling the clinic about the result of your dad’s 2nd opinion Xray? I’m also in the same situation wherein I had my 2nd opinion and it was all clear. I’m also planning to email the clinic but I’m still thinking if it will be a good idea. I can’t cough phlegm and I’m worried I will have a hard time giving the sputum samples and may cause so much delay on my application. I don’t have any symptoms and I really don’t have phlegm at all..
Sorry not the OP and not sure if you got any answer from IRCC.
Unfortunately IRCC doesn't accept any other reports except the doc appointed by them. If IRCC ask you have to give sputum. So just wait for them.

vanessajoy

Aug 14, 2023
good day, my medical show minimal reticular opacities turn out to be abnormal xray presence of ptb.

my sputum exam is on sept 6 and rpt xray nov 9

i dont have history of ptb, but probably expose to it because im a nurse at a public hospital

i visited our pulmo she suggested to start the treatment because i dont have any history taking tb medications

i asked st lukes they didnt consider starting the treatment, they said wait for their decision until my sputum at rpt xray result is available.

iam worried because 2mos of waiting agony is not a joke, what if i have ptb, risking my child and my co worker is the main issue. that is the reason why i want to start the treatment .

what should i do

vanessajoy

Aug 14, 2023
Hi Guys! update lang po!

Noc 3012
May2014 applicant
Sept 23 PER
NOV 11 MR
unfortunately I had a Medical furtherance, i did 6 month PTB treatment
May 23 2015 my Medical update was sent to CEM
May 28 2015 Medical Received.
June 4 PPR
June 9 passport received by CEM
June 18 DM
June 24 Visa on Hand!
July 3 Landed na po ako sa Ontario.. Keep tha faith lang po.. sakatyaga po sa mga medical furtherance :)
who started your tb treatment? the panel physician? did u wait for the sputum and repeat xray prior to treatment?

vanessajoy

Aug 14, 2023
Hi ebp!

Yes i took the treatment before doing the sputum afb and culture... i have consulted a private Pulmonologist also and told me i have to undergo six month treatment because i did have PTB in the right upper lobe.. i also have my previous xrays with me, and when they compared it, the spot in my right upper lobe was visible... so i agreed to undergo with the treatment :)
your private pulmo recommend to start the treatment eventhough you didnt submitted your sputum? did you inform the panel physician that you already started the medication?

Nabeel37

Star Member
Mar 6, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-April-2020
AOR Received.
05-November-2020
good day, my medical show minimal reticular opacities turn out to be abnormal xray presence of ptb.

my sputum exam is on sept 6 and rpt xray nov 9

i dont have history of ptb, but probably expose to it because im a nurse at a public hospital

i visited our pulmo she suggested to start the treatment because i dont have any history taking tb medications

i asked st lukes they didnt consider starting the treatment, they said wait for their decision until my sputum at rpt xray result is available.

iam worried because 2mos of waiting agony is not a joke, what if i have ptb, risking my child and my co worker is the main issue. that is the reason why i want to start the treatment .

what should i do
Is it confirmed that you have active TB ?
Did u get positive TB blood test ?
Did you get positive skin prek test ?

vanessajoy

Aug 14, 2023
good day, update on my status. iam done with my 2nd xray (repeat after 3mos of 1s medical) my sputum results are negative, but the xray is same with the 1st xray. The PP said wait for the decision of the embassy for the next step. any idea regarding this matter? do i need to worry about next additional test? thank u so much

navkaur30

Nov 14, 2023
Hi @Mtille
I experienced same situation of undergone Sputum Exam here in Philippines at St.Lukes Medical center.
My husband is the main applicant and his in Fredericton for almost 3yrs now.
Me and my son is his dependants.
Our application was submitted Dec2019.
Medical Request Feb8,2020 Done medical Feb142020
Biometrics March2020
Unfortunately because of Pandemic, the processing went on delay.
The status of our Application shows that the it was read by the officer Feb2021.
since our first Medical gone expired so they request for a new Medical.
Done 27April2021
Sons medical is passed but for me, PP says they saw some shadow on my right upper lung so I have to do 3day sputum which is also done 4,5,6May.
Smear results came out negative the next day and have to wait for 8weeks for the culture result and a repeat Chest Xray.
culture results came out negative 30th June. And repeat Xray done yesterday 28July.
It was Front and Back Xray.
after that Pulmonary Evaluation
the Pulmonologist explained that compare to my previous xray the shadow is more clearer. meaning there is some activity happening on my Right lungs particularly on that upper part. Since I do not have history of TB or any infectious diseases related to Lungs, the doctor says no need for any medications, but they will put on my health case on the report to have a repeat xray. but it will be depending on the decision of the embassy if they will consider it. Now we are just waiting for the decision of the embassy and praying that I no need to do another repeat xray.
What was the next step for you ?

navkaur30

Nov 14, 2023
Hi @Mtille
I experienced same situation of undergone Sputum Exam here in Philippines at St.Lukes Medical center.
My husband is the main applicant and his in Fredericton for almost 3yrs now.
Me and my son is his dependants.
Our application was submitted Dec2019.
Medical Request Feb8,2020 Done medical Feb142020
Biometrics March2020
Unfortunately because of Pandemic, the processing went on delay.
The status of our Application shows that the it was read by the officer Feb2021.
since our first Medical gone expired so they request for a new Medical.
Done 27April2021
Sons medical is passed but for me, PP says they saw some shadow on my right upper lung so I have to do 3day sputum which is also done 4,5,6May.
Smear results came out negative the next day and have to wait for 8weeks for the culture result and a repeat Chest Xray.
culture results came out negative 30th June. And repeat Xray done yesterday 28July.
It was Front and Back Xray.
after that Pulmonary Evaluation
the Pulmonologist explained that compare to my previous xray the shadow is more clearer. meaning there is some activity happening on my Right lungs particularly on that upper part. Since I do not have history of TB or any infectious diseases related to Lungs, the doctor says no need for any medications, but they will put on my health case on the report to have a repeat xray. but it will be depending on the decision of the embassy if they will consider it. Now we are just waiting for the decision of the embassy and praying that I no need to do another repeat xray.
Did you get 3rd repeat x ray ?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
good day, update on my status. iam done with my 2nd xray (repeat after 3mos of 1s medical) my sputum results are negative, but the xray is same with the 1st xray. The PP said wait for the decision of the embassy for the next step. any idea regarding this matter? do i need to worry about next additional test? thank u so much
Usually the xray is more critical than sputum....
Although it shows medical clear though one is more likely to get medical survillance
That means to go through treatment after getting PR.