+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Public school registration for kids on TRV

goldenlizard

Apr 1, 2022
Seeking inputs on my situation.

I am a Permanent Resident living in Canada. My family will join me in a few months on TRV. Once they arrive I will be doing an Inland Family sponsorship for their PR.

In the meantime, I want to admit my kids to public school. I already know this is legally possible - confirmed both by our lawyer as well as settlement experts who were in touch with me after I landed in Canada. Its also stated in this link that a study permit is not required if parent is a PR.

My question is about the registration form for the school which lists that I should provide one of the following documents for the child.
1. Birth certificate (and study permit or visitor record and passport if parent is residing in BC with a work permit or study permit)
2. Passport (and study permit or visitor record if passport is not Canadian)
3. Canadian Citizenship card
4. Permanent Resident Card (front and back) and passport
5. Confirmation of Landed Immigrant or Permanent Resident status and passport
6. Certificate of Indian Status issued by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
7. Refugee Claimant or Refugee Status documentation – if child has own documents, parent documents not required (copy must be kept in student file)
Not sure if my situation is 2 or 5.

I don't think my children will get any visitor record when they land. I guess their TRV will be stamped; thats all.
Does that correspond to "Confirmation of Landed Immigrant"?

Grateful for advice and input.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I am a Permanent Resident living in Canada. My family will join me in a few months on TRV. Once they arrive I will be doing an Inland Family sponsorship for their PR.

In the meantime, I want to admit my kids to public school. I already know this is legally possible - confirmed both by our lawyer as well as settlement experts who were in touch with me after I landed in Canada. Its also stated in this link that a study permit is not required if parent is a PR.

My question is about the registration form for the school which lists that I should provide one of the following documents for the child.

I don't think my children will get any visitor record when they land. I guess their TRV will be stamped; thats all.

Perhaps you should also look at the international section of the school district and read how to apply.

goldenlizard

Apr 1, 2022
@steaky I looked at the international section of the school district. That seems to cater to kids who come to Canada for education with a study permit and who need to pay fees for the education.

As per this link on Govt. of Canada website, as kids of a PR, my kids do not need a study permit and qualify for free public education from elementary to high school. So probably international section is not the correct category for my kids.

Appreciate inputs from anyone who has been in my situation or who knows the public school system here well.

goldenlizard

Apr 1, 2022
For anyone who has a situation like mine, the solution is to apply for a visitor record for the kids. Though one can get a visitor record at the port of entry, we have been advised to enter the country first and then raise a request for a visitor record. Hope this helps someone in the future.

And yeah, in case anyone has a doubt, kid of a PR even if on TRV is entitled to public education in Canada. They just need the additional documentation of a visitor record.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For others reading this it often comes down to the school board when it comes down to what proof is needed. The link provided to the government website includes some information that seems to be incorrect especially when it comes down to cases where study permits are suggested but not required. In many cases we have seen examples where study permits are required by the school boards. Would suggest people check with their local school when it comes to what documentation is needed and whether a study permit is needed (not for this case but in general). Also a reminder that healthcare is the biggest issue when it comes to children of PRs arriving with TRVs. Access to public healthcare is also dependent on the province but in some cases children must be PRs before they qualify for access to the public healthcare system.

bandwidth

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
05-10-2010 1st AOR; 23-03-2011 2nd AOR; 08-03-2012 In Process
Med's Request
23-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 (Passport Submitted: 16-01-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
For anyone who has a situation like mine, the solution is to apply for a visitor record for the kids. Though one can get a visitor record at the port of entry, we have been advised to enter the country first and then raise a request for a visitor record. Hope this helps someone in the future.

And yeah, in case anyone has a doubt, kid of a PR even if on TRV is entitled to public education in Canada. They just need the additional documentation of a visitor record.
1) Hi, where to get the visitor record?
2) Did you get a private health insurance for your kids while they are here on TRV and studying?

Will highly appreciate to get a response.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
2) Did you get a private health insurance for your kids while they are here on TRV and studying?

1. You apply for visitor record from IRCC
2. Depending on province and parents status, dependent children may qualify for provincial health (i.e. a parent under WP may qualify for OHIP for example, including their dependents)

Reactions: bandwidth

goldenlizard

Apr 1, 2022

1. As rcincanada2019 answered above, you apply for a Visitor Record in the GCKey portal of IRCC. Although it is counter-intuitive, you need to answer the questionaire saying that you would like to arrive to Canada (even though you are already in Canada). Make sure you submit the application at least 30 days before your TRV expires.

2. No, my employer covered health insurance through a concept called Inpatriate Insurance (as opposed to Expatriate). Depending on your province there are a few options one has. I am in BC so can answer for BC. Once you sponsor the family, you use the AOR letter to apply to BC Health services to add family to MSP. They did it for me, and after that I asked my employer to cancel the in-patriate insurance.

Reactions: bandwidth

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. You apply for visitor record from IRCC
2. Depending on province and parents status, dependent children may qualify for provincial health (i.e. a parent under WP may qualify for OHIP for example, including their dependents)
2. If one parent is on a WP and has proof they will be working full-time in Ontario for over 6 months the children should qualify for OHIP. Having a parent with an OWP or being a child or a PR is not enough for children to qualify for OHIP as visitors

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. As rcincanada2019 answered above, you apply for a Visitor Record in the GCKey portal of IRCC. Although it is counter-intuitive, you need to answer the questionaire saying that you would like to arrive to Canada (even though you are already in Canada). Make sure you submit the application at least 30 days before your TRV expires.

2. No, my employer covered health insurance through a concept called Inpatriate Insurance (as opposed to Expatriate). Depending on your province there are a few options one has. I am in BC so can answer for BC. Once you sponsor the family, you use the AOR letter to apply to BC Health services to add family to MSP. They did it for me, and after that I asked my employer to cancel the in-patriate insurance.
Each province has separate rules. For example in Ontario or Quebec the children would have to wait until PRs. An employer is not required to provide bridging healthcare coverage and coverage isn’t granted after AOR has been received for their sponsorship. Each province has their own rules but those are the most common asked about.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
2. If one parent is on a WP and has proof they will be working full-time in Ontario for over 6 months the children should qualify for OHIP. Having a parent with an OWP or being a child or a PR is not enough for children to qualify for OHIP as visitors
That’s why I said “may”.