+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
Fill in place of birth exactly as it is in your passport. Try filling different options like name of the district or town or city only or as it is mentioned in the passport.
Wrong application or return application with view button disabled is glitch in their system.if it is H&C applucation, it may take considerable time.

Reactions: M&M23

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
I applied for URGENT PRTD from INSIDE CANADA ONLINE.

Date Submitted: Feb 7, 2023

Passport Request: Feb 10, 2023

Background:

• My PR card expires on March 13, 2023.

• Leaving Canada: Feb 26, 2023 Returning: March 27, 2023

• I also have a PR card renewal application pending. I applied for a PRTD because I don't think my PR card will make it in time for my flight. (mentioned in explanation letter on application)

•On the application form IMM5444, I declared that I have not left Canada in the past 5 years. (Residency obligation proof like T4 and NOA, passport pages provided in application)

•On the declaration and consent form, I declared I am still IN CANADA. (There is a check box. If you choose outside Canada, it will let you go back to the Residency Obligation section on your application to reflect dates when you left the country, which I already ticked the option that I have not been outside Canada in the past 5 years.)

A few things I added on my application to prove my urgent request (other than the required):

•My flight details. (Flight itinerary attached)

•Serious illness of a family member (medical notes)

•An explanation letter (again mentioning my travel dates & the need for urgency)

•On the application form, I provided my out-of-country address.

I will be sending my passport to the nearest VAC as soon as I arrive at my destination. I have 30 days from the passport request date to do it. I will update as soon as I move along with the process.

Update:

March 2, 2023- sent my passport to VAC for PRTD.

March 5,2023- was informed I paid the incorrect amount for the VAC fee. Paid the correct fee the same day.

March 15, 2023- Passport sent back to me with PRTD foil valid until 2024.

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Hi @itsats : I received passport request for my son today for PRTD. I am in Canada right now and have tickets booked for India for July end. Could you please guide me how to send passport to VAC from inside Canada. Few questions I have:

1). Which vac did you send your passport to?
2). which courier service you used?
3). What are the charges you paid for the courier service?
4). What other documents you sent along with passport?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi @itsats : I received passport request for my son today for PRTD. I am in Canada right now and have tickets booked for India for July end. Could you please guide me how to send passport to VAC from inside Canada. Few questions I have:

1). Which vac did you send your passport to?
2). which courier service you used?
3). What are the charges you paid for the courier service?
4). What other documents you sent along with passport?
You have to goto vfsglobal.com and book appointment. When they give you appointment, you just go there and drop passport. They send passport through bluedart service.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
This bluedart service is available for Canada?
What you mean by Canada ? If you applied PRTD or approved for PRTD , you should be out of country. In your case if it is for your child his passport should be in home country. Do you have has passport? Or what . You can’t send passport from Canada.

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
What you mean by Canada ? If you applied PRTD or approved for PRTD , you should be out of country. In your case if it is for your child his passport should be in home country. Do you have has passport? Or what . You can’t send passport from Canada.
I am in Canada & applied for PRTD from inside Canada. That is why I was asking if there is any way to send the passport from Canada to India for stamping.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in Canada & applied for PRTD from inside Canada. That is why I was asking if there is any way to send the passport from Canada to India for stamping.
Avoid doing this. It's technically illegal to send an India passport internationally and your passport could get stuck and held by customs.

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Avoid doing this. It's technically illegal to send an India passport internationally and your passport could get stuck and held by customs.
I was just enquiring if there is a formal process to get stamped Passport before we leave. This would have saved me from the hassle of changing my tickets & other planned engagement. But will not take any chance as you mentioned. Now I am planning to reschedule my travel plan so that I am able to submit my son's passport before the 30 day timeline when I reach India.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
You can’t apply PRTD if you are inside Canada. Best way to send passport is taking by yourself to india.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
You can’t apply PRTD if you are inside Canada. Best way to send passport is taking by yourself to india.
I can’t find it not but I thought there was someone who reported having applied for PRTD while in Canada and getting it before they left. It may have been a special situation though.

ETA - Here is one of the posts I was thinking about where the PRTD was applied for from within Canada.

Last edited:

M&M23

Jun 12, 2023
Hello everyone! These forums have been very helpful to me and I want share my experience and timeline to help others.

I applied for my wife's PRTD as Urgent using the portal. We have confirmed return tickets to India and were advised by the IRCC agent that we can apply upto 2 weeks before leaving Canada since we have confirmed return tickets ( I am aware that the IRCC website says you need to be outside canada, but I called IRCC multiple times and even spoke to the same agent twice to confirm that its okay to apply two weeks before leaving Canada becase we have return tickets).

Timeline:
29th January 2023 - applied for PRTD (urgent)
2nd February 2023 - Received passport request letter
14th February 2023 - Will be reach Delhi (India) and submitting passport at VFS (VAC) for PRTD stamping.

Will make sure to update the timeline with future updates after VFS processing.

Note: There is a known glitch in the PRTD portal where after submitting the PRTD application - If the status is 'submitted' and View button is disabled but there is a Return Reason - "Wrong application". This is a glitch IF your status is submitted and view button is disabled. However if your status is "returned" or View button is active it is not be a glitch and you might have to take action on your application. Hope this is helpful. Thanks
Thanks for noting this. Who confirmed with you that the "wrong application" note is a well known glitch? Officers from Immigration Canada?

M&M23

Jun 12, 2023
Wrong application or return application with view button disabled is glitch in their system.if it is H&C applucation, it may take considerable time.
Did this glitch happen to you as well? If so, how did it resolve and what was the timeline? Thanks!

Tinakumarjung

Nov 18, 2016
Yes, that is right. You can applied from inside Canada. I mentioned that I am inside Canada & have my son and I have not travelled outside Canada since we landed here 5 years ago.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes, that is right. You can applied from inside Canada. I mentioned that I am inside Canada & have my son and I have not travelled outside Canada since we landed here 5 years ago.
Every though it’s approved technically you are not allowed to submit PRTD inside Canada. Sending passport to India with help of courier service is risky as customs will seize your passport. Best option is sending through someone who is going to India or taking by yourself. You have ti submit passport for stamping to your Local VFS . You can mail them or book appointment and submit in person.