+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Kane89

Dec 13, 2015
Hello,

I am currently outside of Canada. My PR card expires in early October 2021. Am I allowed to apply for the permanent resident travel document now (before my PR expires) if I aim to return to Canada only in November 2021? Or should I wait till my PR card expires in October and only then apply for PRTD?

Has anyone had similar situation?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're not eligible for a PRTD if your card is valid and you have not lost it.

Provided you meet your residency obligation or have H&C grounds to be eligible for a PRTD, you should only apply once you no longer have a valid PR card.

Reactions: Kane89

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am currently outside of Canada. My PR card expires in early October 2021. Am I allowed to apply for the permanent resident travel document now (before my PR expires) if I aim to return to Canada only in November 2021? Or should I wait till my PR card expires in October and only then apply for PRTD?

Has anyone had similar situation?
Do you meet the 730 out of 5 years in November? Looks like you no longer live in Canada and are just returning to do the citizenship oath. A system that goggles my mind.

If you lived in Canada most would just return earlier unless dealing with something like a medical emergency. So if you try to apply before you PR card expires you’ll neeed to explain why you can’t travel earlier.

Kane89

Dec 13, 2015
Do you meet the 730 out of 5 years in November? Looks like you no longer live in Canada and are just returning to do the citizenship oath. A system that goggles my mind.

If you lived in Canada most would just return earlier unless dealing with something like a medical emergency. So if you try to apply before you PR card expires you’ll neeed to explain why you can’t travel earlier.
You are correct about me taking a citizenship oath in November. And no, I do actually live in Canada most of the time and thus don’t have any problems with meeting the 730 days out of the last 5 years requirement. I didn’t apply for PR card renewal because I thought IRCC would schedule my oath well before my PR expiry date, as I passed my citizenship test early in May.

There is no medical emergency, but I have certain things to do outside of Canada in the next couple of months. The only reason why I want to apply earlier is because of the uncertainty with visa processing times due to COVID-19.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are correct about me taking a citizenship oath in November. And no, I do actually live in Canada most of the time and thus don’t have any problems with meeting the 730 days out of the last 5 years requirement. I didn’t apply for PR card renewal because I thought IRCC would schedule my oath well before my PR expiry date, as I passed my citizenship test early in May.

There is no medical emergency, but I have certain things to do outside of Canada in the next couple of months. The only reason why I want to apply earlier is because of the uncertainty with visa processing times due to COVID-19.
You’ll need to travel to Canada before your PR card expires or apply for a PRTD when your PR card expires.