+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD with H&C grounds category RC1

Hijazi

Oct 12, 2021
Hi
I have got PRTD on H&C ground category RC1 with all my family after long time out Canada for emergency reason.
I understand from forum members that I can apply soon after arriving for renewal PR because I have positive H&C case.
My question is can any member share cases like mine and what’s happened next?
Like long time for renewal, go to appeal or lost status any information from real background.
Thanks

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
You are given a RC-1 counterfoil - most likely means you have been given a positive H&C ground decision. Thus a 44(1) will not (most likely will not) be generated at the border. You are not going to lose your identity this case because of this positive decision, but I would highly suggest you stay in Canada for a good amount time and do not leave unless necessary.

What others said should be correct, since your PR is remained via H&C, it should mean no problem for you to renew your PR card. Don't really think you will go through the appeal process this time given the positive H&C.

Would love to hear others' input. But in my opinion this is IRCC giving you a second chance - use it wisely. Welcome back.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Hijazi

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for your help
I have got the same opinion from members of this forum to come Canada with my family,settle apply soon upon arriving for renewal pr card as my H&C still fresh and part of my family two sons come back to continue their medical studying at university in home country.
I consulted two lawyers in Canada
They told me not renew pr soon after arriving , I should wait two years then applied, it doesn’t make sense . They could not convince me .
If I want to travel for any emergency in my home country so what.
If I want to apply for medical insurance
If I want to my son’s going university as domestic student .( I have four sons).
Asking lawyers confused me .
So my main point to have case like me who’s applied soon after arriving and got renew pr and continue their life easy .

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your help
I have got the same opinion from members of this forum to come Canada with my family,settle apply soon upon arriving for renewal pr card as my H&C still fresh and part of my family two sons come back to continue their medical studying at university in home country.
They told me not renew pr soon after arriving , I should wait two years then applied, it doesn’t make sense . They could not convince me .
If I want to my son’s going university as domestic student .( I have four sons).
So my main point to have case like me who’s applied soon after arriving and got renew pr and continue their life easy .

Thanks
If your sons return home to finish university and aren’t compliant with their RO they will likely not be given another chance if they don’t meet their RO. Attending school abroad is viewed as personal choice. Would add that getting licensed as an IMG in Canada is very difficult. If they want to return to Canada they may not be able to practice medicine especially certain types of medicine. In some provinces you will need to wait until you have your new PR card to qualify for a new health card.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for your help

Thanks
If your 2 sons left after they re-entered with H&C, they are pretty much giving up their PRs.
Good luck with that.
As replied, they likely cannot practice medicine in Canada if they choose to study medicine in your home country. So I guess they do not plan to settle in Canada afterall.

Reactions: BadGamer6

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
If you are not going to stay in Canada, then why are you applying for residency documents that say you are !??

Hijazi

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks Rasha
Again we are family from 6 members coming back to live again in Canada with clear positive H&c.
We have got PRTD with H&C Rc1 category
I understand from members that I can soon apply for renewal pr cards but paid lawyers said not.
Renew pr it’s important for issues midcal insurance ,driving license university tuitions , going back home for emergencies,etc.
Two of us my sons still studying at home country faculty of medicine at university ,they should come back to continue studying.
So I am looking for answers for my questions as mentioned above.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
As @YVR123 mentioned, the main concern with your plans is for your two sons studying back home.

Your positive H&C determination put you in a way back in compliance with the requirements of your PR, but it does not reset your RO. This means that yes you can apply for a new PR card right away (but the processing of that card will likely take more time, don't expect a rushed process and it may involve picking the card in person which with Covid makes it potentially an even more lengthy process).

Once you get your PR card back, I would say it is probably mostly safe for you to have short travel for emergencies. Again, that will depend on many things, such as how long you've been resettled in Canada, the nature of the emergency, the length of the travel... Your RO is not reset, therefore you will be at risk of more scrutiny for any border crossing, but the PRTD approval and a new PR card should help in case of emergency.

For medical coverage, it depends on the province, you will need to meet the requirements of that province, whatever health card you may have is likely no longer valid. You will likely need a PR card to prove your PR status.

For your sons studying in Canada, again you may need their PR card to prove their status but otherwise no issue there.

For your sons who plan to return to home country for study, this is a recipe for quite the headache. As mentioned above by @canuck78 and @YVR123 they not only take the very real, very significant risk of losing their PR but also of not being able to practice medicine when they move (if they can move).

They will not meet their RO (no matter if they have a valid PR card or not). The H&C determination is basically considering whether or not the PR, despite not meeting their RO, deserves a chance to keep PR status. Based on your family's circumstances, the determination was that yes, you deserve a chance to keep PR status. For your sons to move back right away, while still failing to meet the RO, the determination will almost certainly be next time they cross the border or request a PRTD, that they were given such a chance and failed to take advantage of it. There will then likely not be a second chance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Again we are family from 6 members coming back to live again in Canada with clear positive H&c.
I understand from members that I can soon apply for renewal pr cards but paid lawyers said not.
Renew pr it’s important for issues midcal insurance ,driving license university tuitions , going back home for emergencies,etc.
Two of us my sons still studying at home country faculty of medicine at university ,they should come back to continue studying.
As I have observed elsewhere, the response posted by @Naheulbeuck is an EXCELLENT overview. I envy how well @Naheulbeuck has expressed the essential elements and answered most of your questions as well as they can be answered. Heed what @Naheulbeuck has offered and things should go well.

Probably not necessary, but I will offer some further observations:

A big part of understanding your situation, and your family's situation, is to recognize (as @Naheulbeuck and others have said), you have been given "a chance to keep PR status," and this is despite FAILING to satisfy your obligations as a PR, your Residency Obligations. It is NOT a clean slate. It is not a blank cheque. You are given a chance to keep PR status and live in Canada because there were sufficient H&C reasons to justify giving you this opportunity, this chance.

It might not make sense that Canada will give you this chance to keep your PR status but not make the various collateral situations at least easier to deal with . . . noting the problem getting health care, drivers' licenses, enrollment in school and so on, while it takes so long to get a new PR card. It is not a perfect system, that is for sure. Especially problematic currently given processing delays. Sorry, this is how it is. Not easy.

REGARDING the LAWYERS' VIEW:

I realize you feel that the lawyers' advice has caused some confusion. I will not presume to know their reasoning or second-guess their opinions, but my GUESS is that they are providing advice based on what they are certain about, what will for-sure work for you. When you apply for a new PR card, to be eligible you need to be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. As of the day you apply, and that is based on how many days you have been IN Canada during the preceding five years, and to FOR-SURE meet this requirement, you need to have been IN Canada for at least 730 days within the previous five years. Since you have been outside Canada for more than three years now, the only way you can meet that is to come and stay for at least two years before you apply for a new PR card. The lawyers' advice appears to be based on this, what will For-Sure meet the requirements with no risk the PR card application will trigger a RO examination that could lead to a decision terminating your PR status.

That is, if you apply for a new PR card BEFORE you have stayed in Canada for at least 730 days, at the time of that application you will NOT be in compliance with the Residency Obligation, because you will not have been IN Canada at least 730 days within the preceding five years. The risk is the application could result in a formal RO examination, and if as of the date of that examination you still have not been IN Canada at least 730 days within the preceding five years (again, as of that date), you could be issued a 44(1) Report and a Removal Order, terminating your PR status . . . unless again IRCC determines that you should still be allowed to keep PR status based on H&C reasons. That is the risk. And the lawyers' advice avoids taking that risk.

In contrast, many forum participants, me included, have seen enough reporting that in conjunction with various reliable sources of information, to be quite confident (but less than certain) that the positive H&C decision in your PR TD application will be enough for IRCC to proceed to approve the PR card application and issue and deliver a new PR card. Thus, your positive H&C PR TD decision means it SHOULD be OK to apply for a new PR card without having to wait two years.

But this comes with caveats:

First caution:
This is NOT a universal opinion. And we are not experts. We are not Canadian lawyers. Some forum participants agree with what the lawyers said, that you should wait two years to apply for a new PR card.​

Second caution:
The view that it is OK to apply for a new PR card without waiting depends on the PR having made the move to Canada, actually being physically present in Canada, and (in my view anyway) clearly being SETTLED in Canada.​

Third caution:
How it goes can depend on the particular circumstances in the individual case. This gets complicated. Too complicated to try to sort it out in a forum setting like this, because there are so many variables, including contingencies (if A happens, then X; but if instead B happens, then Y). Except I will address a couple circumstances which may be common and more likely to have an impact.​

Nonetheless, as described above, a solid H&C case that resulted in a positive H&C decision for the PR TD should mean it will go OK when you apply for a new PR card [edited to correct reference to TD] . . . WHEN you are actually IN Canada.​

Among particular circumstances that can potentially lead to a negative outcome:​
-- The H&C case itself was questionable; this does NOT appear relevant to your situation, so there should be little or no need to worry this would affect how the PR card application is decided.​
-- There is a change in circumstances between the date the PR TD was approved and the date the PR card application is made. Most common change in circumstances: significant additional absences from Canada after the PR TD was issued OR there are otherwise facts or circumstances indicating the PR is maintaining residence outside Canada, NOT IN Canada. Obviously, a combination of these two is more likely to be seen as a change in circumstances which could lead to a negative outcome; that is, if the PR leaves Canada and the circumstances indicate the PR is not settled in Canada but, rather, still has a home outside Canada, the risk is higher IRCC might perceive a change in circumstances warranting a different H&C outcome.​

So, in any event, the lawyers' view makes sense EVEN THOUGH several of us in the forum offer a different view. Following their advice will avoid any risk of a negative outcome, based on RO compliance, when you apply for a new PR card.

Regarding the children: even though you all obtained a PR TD, more or less as a family or based on the family's situation, from now on each individual will mostly be ON THEIR OWN in terms of meeting the PR RO and qualifying for a new PR card. Each will need to make their OWN application for a new PR card. If your sons leave Canada before they are actually approved for and issued and, importantly, ALSO actually DELIVERED a new PR car, there is a real risk their PR card applications will not be approved even though your application is, and even if approved, and even if issued, a risk they will not be mailed their new PR card (which you could forward to them abroad) but rather required to appear IN PERSON to pick up the card, and they would then need to apply for a new PR TD to return to Canada. And there is a real risk they would not get a positive H&C decision for that new PR TD application.

As I and others have also cautioned: a new PR card does NOT entirely restart the clock. It is not like starting over. It is not like being issued PR status anew. So whenever any of you go abroad, even with a new PR card you could be questioned about RO compliance when you next arrive at the Port-of-Entry on your return to Canada. RO compliance will be based on how many days you have been IN Canada within the previous five years of that day. Less than 730 means NOT in compliance, and means the border officials will have to make a positive H&C decision to allow you to keep PR status. The previous positive H&C decision will be considered in that evaluation. So if you are just on a day trip to the U.S., for example, odds are very high there will be NO problem. But if you have been abroad for a significant number of days, and especially if you have been abroad long enough it appears you are not actually settled in Canada, a different outcome for the H&C assessment is possible . . . remember, these things are always based on the situation as of that very day. This includes H&C factors.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Rasha
Your sons must realize that they risk losing their PR if they chose to keep studying abroad and that it is very difficult to get licensed in Canada as an IMG. If they still want to return to study abroad then that is their choice but receiving H&C once is lucky but twice is a lot less likely. Canada is also one of the hardest place for foreign trained doctors to get licensed. Only a small fraction do get licensed and they are often limited to certain less popular specialties and certain locations like family doctors, pathology, psychiatry, etc.

Reactions: Rasha

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In contrast, many forum participants, me included, have seen enough reporting that in conjunction with various reliable sources of information, to be quite confident (but less than certain) that the positive H&C decision in your PR TD application will be enough for IRCC to proceed to approve the PR card application and issue and deliver a new PR card. Thus, your positive H&C PR TD decision means it SHOULD be OK to apply for a new PR card without having to wait two years.
A small point on this that is (in part) a re-phrasing of what @dpenabill has stated here, and also something that can be used to discuss with your lawyers:

-clearly you (the OP) submitted a PRTD request which incorporated information for the H&C factors, which was approved (as evidenced by the PRTD issued with RC-1.
-If you apply now and IRCC decides to not accept that previous H&C decision and proceeds with steps to revoke PR status, you would have the opportunity to appeal that decision.
-That previous H&C decision is very strong evidence in appeal. (With caveats about nothing having dramatically changed etc)

So the question to the lawyers who are counselling against that - what would be your chances on appeal? Are the chances so good under appeal that it's just unlikely that IRCC would even risk it?

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but having a previous positive H&C decision from IRCC would, I believe, be fabulous grounds for appeal, and many lawyers would see this. (Important caveat: unless something has materially changed or the original grounds for H&C were based on false information or, for example, some other manifest error).

It would put IRCC in the absurd position of having to claim that their own previous decision was arbitrary, wrongly decided, and must be reversed - without new evidence, it's a bad case to argue. Having IRCC's own decision that the case warranted H&C treatment is extremely good evidence that the H&C case is (was) solid and should be taken seriously - not just a good prima facie case but a solid substantive one. (And if it wasn't, IRCC was not doing it's own job the first time around)

My point is: IRCC is mostly not going to want to take this step and go through a long legal process in which they'd look foolish and quite possibly lose - IRCC's own internal legal counsel would not want to touch this. I think the 'judges' who look at these would be pretty skeptical too.

And further to this point: downside and risk of applying early should be relatively low, and the upside (getting PR cards sooner) is strong.

That said, if there's anything your lawyers know that you have not mentioned here, do listen to them.

[I echo the points about the elder sons planning to arrive and depart - nothing to add there.]

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
My point is: IRCC is mostly not going to want to take this step and go through a long legal process in which they'd look foolish and quite possibly lose - IRCC's own internal legal counsel would not want to touch this. I think the 'judges' who look at these would be pretty skeptical too.

And further to this point: downside and risk of applying early should be relatively low, and the upside (getting PR cards sooner) is strong.
I agree with this. I don't think CPC-S would do something against what the visa office approved. I mean everything - including the notes from the visa office should be clearly recorded in the GCMS. That of course includes the reasons for approving a H&C case. I don't think they would counter something that they approved themselves with a strong H&C. After all, they are under the same system and doing the same things. Unless, just an assumption, that the evidence presented on the PR card application has significant discrepancy compared to the approved H&C - that of course - can be very, VERY problematic.

Regardless of the above said, the two sons studying back home can still be problematic for their applications.

Reactions: armoured

Hijazi

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks again for All
I think nothing more to be talked
I am appreciate your understanding and your help
I will keep All updated when I will arrive Canada and settled then applying renew pr sooner without waiting two years.
Nothing hide for this forum members , I sent lawyers questions like here in this group ,And talked with them .
Regards

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again for All
I think nothing more to be talked
I am appreciate your understanding and your help
I will keep All updated when I will arrive Canada and settled then applying renew pr sooner without waiting two years.
Nothing hide for this forum members , I sent lawyers questions like here in this group ,And talked with them .
Regards
There is no issue with applying for PR card on arrival. You may have difficulty obtaining health card until you have a valid PR card in some provinces or registering for college/university as a domestic student. As previously mentioned the big issue is that your 2 sons don’t plan on remaining in Canada.

Reactions: Hijazi

Ah023

Sep 24, 2021
Hi
I have got PRTD on H&C ground category RC1 with all my family after long time out Canada for emergency reason.
I understand from forum members that I can apply soon after arriving for renewal PR because I have positive H&C case.
My question is can any member share cases like mine and what’s happened next?
Like long time for renewal, go to appeal or lost status any information from real background.
Thanks
Hi, could i pls know ur timeline and where u applied from? As I’ve also applied for PRTD on H&C grounds..