+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD validity

Kenadian

Jun 20, 2018
Hi There,
Thanks for such a great forum! My mum is a PR here. Currently on Australia and her PR is expiring on Aug 14. She has no plans of returning here for about a year.
My question is, can I apply for her PRTD at that point? She has met her residency obligation of 2 years in the last 5 years. If I apply for PRTD now, how long is the validity.
Much appreciate your answer,

Niru

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The requirement says it has to be applied for from Canada. Others can correct me, but there really isn’t a requirement to be in Canada. Only to submit the application from within Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html)

Eligibility
To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:

As long as you are in Canada and submit it, should be fine.

Kenadian

Jun 20, 2018
The requirement says it has to be applied for from Canada. Others can correct me, but there really isn’t a requirement to be in Canada. Only to submit the application from within Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html)

As long as you are in Canada and submit it, should be fine.
Wow! I didn't think I could apply for her when she was out of the country. Can anyone else verify this to be true? Thanks so much Bluetruck!

Kenadian

Jun 20, 2018
Wow! I didn't think I could apply for her when she was out of the country. Can anyone else verify this to be true? Thanks so much Bluetruck!
Just to review...this is for PRTD...not PR. She already is a PR. It is expiring while she is out of the country.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yup. To re new PR card. If you go through the “Permenent “Resident” section of the forum, there are a few posts about applying for a PR card. As long as she is well within RO, and doesn’t have her application sent to secondary or flagged for pick up, there is no reason she can’t have you send in the forms for a new card. Worst case, you would need to apply for a PRTD if they want her to pick it up in person or it takes longer to process than she is out of the country.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Well technically SHE is the one that needs to apply for her own PR card renewal. She will need to sign the application, and if her current residential address is actually in Australia she will need to indicate this on the application. Many people have successfully done this, however be prepared that IRCC will most likely demand she picks up her card in person from a local office.

So to get back to Canada to get her PR card, she will need to:
1. Apply for a PR TD from local Visa Application Centre in Australia, to fly directly to Canada. Should do this a month or two in advance of intended travel.
2. Travel to USA, and cross into Canada via land border. For this no PR TD is required, just expired PR card is fine.

Kenadian

Jun 20, 2018
Well technically SHE is the one that needs to apply for her own PR card renewal. She will need to sign the application, and if her current residential address is actually in Australia she will need to indicate this on the application. Many people have successfully done this, however be prepared that IRCC will most likely demand she picks up her card in person from a local office.

So to get back to Canada to get her PR card, she will need to:
1. Apply for a PR TD from local Visa Application Centre in Australia, to fly directly to Canada. Should do this a month or two in advance of intended travel.
2. Travel to USA, and cross into Canada via land border. For this no PR TD is required, just expired PR card is fine.
Thanks Rob,
If I put a Canadian address...would that be flagged? She is not able to travel currently. Alternatively, what if we apply for her PRTD once she is ready to come... Even if it's a year from now. Would it affect her PR status?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks Rob,
If I put a Canadian address...would that be flagged? She is not able to travel currently. Alternatively, what if we apply for her PRTD once she is ready to come... Even if it's a year from now. Would it affect her PR status?
Yes. Other than the misrepresentation since her residential address is obviously in Australia right now, she must list her physical presence for 5 years from date the application is done. So any visa officer will plainly see she is currently in Australia and when exactly she last left Canada.

As long as she maintains the 2 in 5 years RO rule (so doesn't spend 3 years outside Canada), she can apply for a PR TD at anytime.