Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I dont quite understand, should he use this RFID wallet when sending it or when boarding a flight? But its great that this is a safe method. So you are 100 percent sure theyre not gonna seize the card at customs if he brings it with himself? should he put it in checked luggage or carryon luggage with him?
Many people on this forum have had PR cards either hand carried or couriered to them, including myself. Nobody can ever give a 100% guarantee that something unforeseen will happen. There are no Customs on the way out of Canada, only airport security. I personally would keep it in my possession and not place it in either carry-on or hold luggage. RFID shield envelopes do exist for courier use. A wallet for personal carriage.

When you are issued a Canadian passport, you get a free RFID cover for it :)

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Many people on this forum have had PR cards either hand carried or couriered to them, including myself. Nobody can ever give a 100% guarantee that something unforeseen will happen. There are no Customs on the way out of Canada, only airport security. I personally would keep it in my possession and not place it in either carry-on or hold luggage. RFID shield envelopes do exist for courier use. A wallet for personal carriage.

When you are issued a Canadian passport, you get a free RFID cover for it :)
If you were in my situation, which option would you choose?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you are really concerned why not just get the boyfriend to keep the card in the original envelope addressed to you so in that way in the very unlikely even he is challenged for having your PR card, not sure by who, then he is just bringing your mail. Do not put it in hold luggage which could get lost but either in carry on or on person safely along with his travel documents for example.

If I were a customs officer in a country outside Canada I would be more concerned about someone having a credit card in someone else’s name as opposed to a PR card which is only of use to the holder and anyway outside Canada have to assume the RFID chip is not readable.

As previous posts there are always rumours about RFID scanners at airports both inbound/outbound and yes some land border crossings have them to assist CBSA with inbound travellers to help traffic flow but so far have not seen anything public about airports unless missed it.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rfid-irf-eng.html

Just try not to overthink things

Last edited:

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
If it's been less than 1095 days since you became a Permanent Resident, it's impossible to not meet the Residency Obligation.
Just supply a copy of the COPR that shows your landing date. Add a letter of explanation if you wish.
Can anyone else confirm that I will meet the residency obligation? i am just scared they would renounce my permanent resident status if i applied for a prtd

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi

I got a multiple entry PRTD valid for a year today for me and my wife. We are new permanent residents and haven't got our first PR card yet due to processing delays. We did a short landing in Oct 2018 after getting my COPR in August 2018. We applied from Luxembourg via Paris VFS offices. I have an Indian passport. We sent my documents on Dec 20th and got the passports back today. The documents we gave are

1. COPR copies
2. Landing form (the one they give u at immigration)
3. Ticket copies for the flight to and back from Canada.
4. Passport copy (old passport all pages that were stamped)
5. ID card copy for Local country
6. 2 photos
7. covering letter for VFS

In the Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds section, we mentioned that we have given notice to our landlord and need to move to Canada and requested a PRTD on compassionate grounds. Maybe this worked for us.
Not required. As new PRs, of less than 3 years, you were entitled to a PRTD.

revath410

Feb 5, 2019
As they don't exist, it would be a problem. No, just answer the question by stating that you have not been a PR for more an X days.
@zardoz
Hi there,
First of all I thank you for providing some useful info that’s helping me here. I’m in a similar juncture but I’ve been in Canada for 5 days after my landing and flew to India.
I am filling IMM5524 and have few questions where I hope your expertise could shed some light.
1. Question 11( intend to return to canada),
I’m not sure when I’m going to return to canada but kept a date after 3 months as a place holder. My question what are the odds I’ll be given a PRTD which has validity only few months past that date I mentioned? i.e April 15 2020)
2. Question 19. Humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Can I leave this blank empty since I was in canada just for 5 days( did my landing at US - Canada border( dec 21 2019).
3. please explain what does Residency obligation mean.
4. In the checklist, Point 8 states that, photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation.
My question: I just have my license and bank statement but my bank statement is only one month old.

Finally,
Should I mail all these documents to VFS office or I should present myself with these docs.

Thanks so much in advance and please direct me towards the right path.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
@zardoz
Hi there,
First of all I thank you for providing some useful info that’s helping me here. I’m in a similar juncture but I’ve been in Canada for 5 days after my landing and flew to India.
I am filling IMM5524 and have few questions where I hope your expertise could shed some light.
I’m not sure when I’m going to return to canada but kept a date after 3 months as a place holder. My question what are the odds I’ll be given a PRTD which has validity only few months past that date I mentioned? i.e April 15 2020)
2. Question 19. Humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Can I leave this blank empty since I was in canada just for 5 days( did my landing at US - Canada border( dec 21 2019).
4. In the checklist, Point 8 states that, photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation.
My question: I just have my license and bank statement but my bank statement is only one month old.

Finally,
Should I mail all these documents to VFS office or I should present myself with these docs.

1) I think that normally a PRTD is issued only for 6 months validity.
2) write "not applicable" or similar.
3) the requirements for being in Canada for at least 730 days in a rolling 1825 day period. This is NOT relevant to your application for a PRTD as you are automatically compliant with the Residency Obligation requirements if you landed less than 1095 days ago.
4) a copy of the COPR should suffice due to 3)

revath410

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the quick response. I have a question, Should I mail all these documents to the VFS office or I should present myself with these docs?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the quick response. I have a question, Should I mail all these documents to the VFS office or I should present myself with these docs?
Sorry, I don't know the answer to this. Never had a problem that required a PRTD. Let's see if anyone else can answer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Should I mail all these documents to the VFS office or I should present myself with these docs?
While I have not done this and this is a bit outside what I follow much, in general this (and most of your other questions) fall dead center under a key bit of advice appropriate for everyone engaging in any transactions with IRCC:

If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

Thus, see --

While observations offered in a forum like this can be helpful, they are NO substitute for doing the homework and carefully reviewing the applicable instructions, including the guides, checklists, and the forms themselves.

Information regarding VAC locations, hours of operation, and particular details (such as whether or not an appointment needs to be booked for in-person transactions) tends to change rather often, so it is important to visit the IRCC, VAC, and related website information pages, close to when a PR will be making a PR TD application.

Whether it is more convenient to submit a PR TD application by mail or courier, or in-person at an appropriate VAC, has more to do with the individual PR and location of the appropriate VAC. It is largely a personal choice. Since the PR's passport is among the items to be submitted, obviously a secure delivery method should be used.

Additional Observations:

It is likely that observations from others have sufficiently answered your questions. I am offering some additional observations for clarification and emphasis.

Given that you are a new PR and it has been less than three years since your date of landing, as long as you follow the instructions and provide what is requested the PR TD application process should go smoothly, without issue. (Exceptions possible; for example, issues related to verifying identity.) It should be OK, and easily so, to simply follow the instructions and provide answers as requested without overthinking or having concerns about how the answer will be assessed. For example, there is no reason to worry about the fact that the total number of days IN Canada (item 15) will be less than 730 days.

Sure, as is often the case for fairly complex bureaucratic forms, the PR TD application form has its quirks and problems. At the least some incongruities. No need to worry. Follow the instructions. Provide the information requested. Submit documents as instructed. The visa office will sort the information and appropriately evaluate it, and make an appropriate decision accordingly.

A prospective date of return should be fine. That said, probably best to wait to apply for the PR TD when you have a fairly confident idea about when you will in fact be traveling to Canada. Not necessary to know a for-sure precise date but it is prudent to wait until you are very confident that you will be making the trip in less than six months.

Otherwise, as to timing when to apply, a couple months before actually planning to travel should easily suffice. Especially if the application is made within two or two-and-a-half years after the date of landing (or even after that if it is clear there are no Residency Obligation compliance issues). There are possible exceptions, such as cases involving potential verification of identity and status issues, and it appears there are some locations which tend to be slower and more prone to problematic issues.

Leave blank or enter N/A.

Blank is OK. See instructions for the calculation in item 17.

Which brings up some of the wrinkles in the application form. Since your total number of days IN Canada, listed in item 15, totals less than 730, the PR is instructed to answer items 16 and 17, even though there is no actual question about your compliance with the RO. But that is easy. Check "No" for both items. Then you add up the totals in 15, 16, and 17, and for a "grand total" you get, say, just 5. That is less than 730. So you follow the instructions for a "grand total" less than 730. The instruction says to respond to item 19 if "you have been a permanent resident for five years or more." You have not. No need to respond to item 19. The PR "may wish to answer question 19," but that is not necessary UNLESS the total number of days IN Canada, plus number of days left on the calendar to the fifth year anniversary of landing, is less than 730 (and for any PR short of the third year anniversary of landing, this total is necessarily more than 730 since there are more than 730 days left on the calendar to the fifth year anniversary of landing).

The best explanation of the Residency Obligation is provided in both the guide for making the PR TD application and in Appendix A to the guide for making a new PR card application; respectively:

In general, the RO is the obligation imposed on PRs requiring presence (with some exceptions) in Canada for two years in every five; for a new PR (less than five years), this means days in Canada so far, PLUS days left on the calendar to the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing, need to add up to at least 730.

There are many topics here in which virtually every aspect of the RO is discussed in some depth, from the calculation itself to enforcement, including appeals and H&C relief.

For a new PR, as others have stated, there is NO issue about RO compliance prior to the third year anniversary of the date of landing. This is because until the third year anniversary of landing there are still at least 730 days left on the calendar before the fifth year anniversary, so the PR is for-certain in compliance with no need to count days actually in Canada so far.

That said, item 15 in the PR TD application, regarding dates in Canada, is still relevant and the PR needs to accurately and completely provide the requested information. IRCC defines "relevant" based on what is asked. Item 15 specifically instructs those who became a PR less than five years ago to declare dates IN Canada since the date of landing.

4. In the checklist, Point 8 states that, photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation. My question: I just have my license and bank statement but my bank statement is only one month old.

Just submit what you have. No worry. Main thing is to check off that box in the checklist. As others have emphasized, what you submit is not important because, again, being short of the third year anniversary of landing there will be no need for IRCC to verify the days you were actually present IN Canada.

I’ve been in Canada for 5 days after my landing and flew to India.

Last edited:

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
@zardoz
Hi there,

Finally,

Hello , did you receive your PRTD? please answer as I am stuck in same situation and would like to know.