+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD questions about application

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Hi everyone,

so I became a permanent resident on the 10th October 2018 and got my copr the same day. I then left 10 days later to visit my family in Germany. I am currently in Germany. Since i left before i received my pr card by mail i was told to apply for a PRTD.

However there are some things that confuse me:
On the document checklist there is a paragraph that goes as follows:

- Photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
8. At a minimum provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application

This paragraph is confusing to me as I have only been a PR for a little over a month.
Does anyone know if I have to provide those documents or if it is obvious for an official to see that I meet the residency obligation.( I have been living in Canada together with my sponsor for a little over 2 years now, but just recently became a pr. So do I need to show proof of that)

Anyway, how do I show that I meet the residency obligation or does that work automatically? In the instruction guide for PRTD it says i have to show I will meet the residency obligation.

Thank you already to everyone for the help

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi everyone,

so I became a permanent resident on the 10th October 2018 and got my copr the same day. I then left 10 days later to visit my family in Germany. I am currently in Germany. Since i left before i received my pr card by mail i was told to apply for a PRTD.

However there are some things that confuse me:
On the document checklist there is a paragraph that goes as follows:

- Photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
8. At a minimum provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application

This paragraph is confusing to me as I have only been a PR for a little over a month.
Does anyone know if I have to provide those documents or if it is obvious for an official to see that I meet the residency obligation.( I have been living in Canada together with my sponsor for a little over 2 years now, but just recently became a pr. So do I need to show proof of that)

Anyway, how do I show that I meet the residency obligation or does that work automatically? In the instruction guide for PRTD it says i have to show I will meet the residency obligation.

Thank you already to everyone for the help
If it's been less than 1095 days since you became a Permanent Resident, it's impossible to not meet the Residency Obligation.
Just supply a copy of the COPR that shows your landing date. Add a letter of explanation if you wish.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
If it's been less than 1095 days since you became a Permanent Resident, it's impossible to not meet the Residency Obligation.
Just supply a copy of the COPR that shows your landing date. Add a letter of explanation if you wish.
So youre saying I dont have to send the pieces of evidence that show residence in the 5 years prior to this application?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So youre saying I dont have to send the pieces of evidence that show residence in the 5 years prior to this application?
As they don't exist, it would be a problem. No, just answer the question by stating that you have not been a PR for more an X days.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
As they don't exist, it would be a problem. No, just answer the question by stating that you have not been a PR for more an X days.
I have lived in Canada for roughly 2 years with my sponsor for the process of becoming permanent resident. So technically i have rental agreements and other things but that was before i became a permanent resident thus they should not be concerned about this, right?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have lived in Canada for roughly 2 years with my sponsor for the process of becoming permanent resident. So technically i have rental agreements and other things but that was before i became a permanent resident thus they should not be concerned about this, right?
It's completely irrelevant to be honest. The RO is totally post-landing.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Okay thanks for the help first of all. So just to confirm everything: If i send all the required documents and just a copy of my copr the visa official will know what is going on and I will get my PRTD, is that correct? Plus its gonna help if i add a letter in which i explain everything?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Okay thanks for the help first of all. So just to confirm everything: If i send all the required documents and just a copy of my copr the visa official will know what is going on and I will get my PRTD, is that correct? Plus its gonna help if i add a letter in which i explain everything?
Yep. You are entitled to be granted a PRTD. You should not be refused.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Alright, that is a big relief for me. On another matter: I have read that you can bypass this cumbersome process by flying to the US and cross the border to Canada in a private vehicle just with a COPR and my Passport. Do you have any experiences/ knowledge about this?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Alright, that is a big relief for me. On another matter: I have read that you can bypass this cumbersome process by flying to the US and cross the border to Canada in a private vehicle just with a COPR and my Passport. Do you have any experiences/ knowledge about this?
This is permitted. Lots of people on the forum have done this.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Alright, thank you for the fast response. My COPR has a big 'NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL' mark across it. Can I still use it to cross the border?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Alright, thank you for the fast response. My COPR has a big 'NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL' mark across it. Can I still use it to cross the border?
Yes, you are not using it as a travel document but to assist you in identifying yourself as a Permanent Resident.

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
Thats good news. Thank you so so much for taking the time to help me with these matters. I have one last question. my pr card is going to be sent to my address where I and my boyfriend live together in Canada. Is it theoretically safe for him to travel with my pr card to germany to give it to me in person? I have read there is some sort of chip in the pr card, is there a chance they would seize in customs?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thats good news. Thank you so so much for taking the time to help me with these matters. I have one last question. my pr card is going to be sent to my address where I and my boyfriend live together in Canada. Is it theoretically safe for him to travel with my pr card to germany to give it to me in person? I have read there is some sort of chip in the pr card, is there a chance they would seize in customs?
Absolutely yes, it's safe. There are a lot of urban myths about the subject. If you want to send him a letter authorizing him to carry the card, you can but it really isn't required. He can even courier it to you via FedEx or UPS.

See https://discuss.settlement.org/topic16019-can-my-friend-courier-my-pr-card-to-me-abroad.aspx#post102916

Maybe stick it in an anti-RFID wallet, like all the other credit cards should be.

Last edited:

radbick55

Nov 16, 2018
I dont quite understand, should he use this RFID wallet when sending it or when boarding a flight? But its great that this is a safe method. So you are 100 percent sure theyre not gonna seize the card at customs if he brings it with himself? should he put it in checked luggage or carryon luggage with him?