+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Passport request

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello all,

My wife applied for PRTD on 3rd Dec 2022 on the basis of accompanying a Canadian citizen. We are currently living in Germany. Yesterday she received an email asking for a scanned copy of all her passport pages though we had already uploaded it. Today morning, she got a passport request email from the Embassy of Canada in Vienna. However, the attached PDF with the email has these words:

This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.

Why "temporary residence" and why not PRTD? Is this a generic letter or has there been a mistake which we need to clarify? Also, they have sent the passport request immediately after sending an email asking for more information and not waiting for our response.

Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why "temporary residence" and why not PRTD? Is this a generic letter or has there been a mistake which we need to clarify? Also, they have sent the passport request immediately after sending an email asking for more information and not waiting for our response.
Probably just a typo on the part of the assistant making the letter. As for not waiting, my guess would be whoever it was pressed the button to send you that request (or it's automated in some way) and they also realized they had the info they needed. Could happen if eg assistant says 'complex file need passport scans' and more senior person realizes it's not an H&C case but residing with Canadian case. Speculation on my part of course.

Reactions: ski

ski

Nov 20, 2013
The online status has not changed from "Submitted". I guess this process is much faster than a normal PR application and so they don't bother with the usual updates.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The online status has not changed from "Submitted". I guess this process is much faster than a normal PR application and so they don't bother with the usual updates.
The 'usual' updates have always been inconsistent and unreliable, particularly at certain stages - at some stages they just don't update.

Reactions: ski

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
Hello all,

My wife applied for PRTD on 3rd Dec 2022 on the basis of accompanying a Canadian citizen. We are currently living in Germany. Yesterday she received an email asking for a scanned copy of all her passport pages though we had already uploaded it. Today morning, she got a passport request email from the Embassy of Canada in Vienna. However, the attached PDF with the email has these words:

This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.

Thanks in advance.
PRTD is temporary she need to apply for PR Card.

Mat27

Jan 6, 2023
I also applied for prtd on 19 December, got auto acknowledgement same day. Received returned reason due to pirmary ID not provided on 3 Jan . We didnt include passport copies for my kids. But now I dont know if i should upload the passport copies on the same application or if I should i create a new application. I have uploaded passport copies any way but I cant tell if that's the correct thing to do.

Can some one also please explain how the prtd is processed. Does it go to the consulate/embassy that serves your country or is is sent to to IRCC in Canada for processing and then the consulate affixes the stamp in your passport? Any assistance is appreciated.

sarrthaksayal

Jul 13, 2021
I also applied for prtd on 19 December, got auto acknowledgement same day. Received returned reason due to pirmary ID not provided on 3 Jan . We didnt include passport copies for my kids. But now I dont know if i should upload the passport copies on the same application or if I should i create a new application. I have uploaded passport copies any way but I cant tell if that's the correct thing to do.

Can some one also please explain how the prtd is processed. Does it go to the consulate/embassy that serves your country or is is sent to to IRCC in Canada for processing and then the consulate affixes the stamp in your passport? Any assistance is appreciated.
I believe it goes to the consulate. I also applied for prtd on Dec 19th from Delhi and received passport request yesterday. Need to submit the passport at Delhi's Visa Application Center.

Mat27

Jan 6, 2023
I believe it goes to the consulate. I also applied for prtd on Dec 19th from Delhi and received passport request yesterday. Need to submit the passport at Delhi's Visa Application Center.
Ok thanks for your prompt response. Would you know if I can use the existing application to upload required documents. Im not sure what to do anymore. If I should start a new application or just use the existing application and upload passport copies. Thanks

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Today my wife got her passport back. She has got a multiple entry R-1 type visa valid until the end of 2023. Extremely relieved as this makes our move back to Canada much smoother. Thank you again everyone.

Reactions: armoured