+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD or land border - 7 years outside Canada

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Dear Experts,
I need guidance in choosing between PRTD on H&C grounds vs land border crossing into Canada.

I got PR in 2005 and moved to Canada in Nov 2008. I got a SIN, Drivers License, Health card. I opened a corporation and started working as consultant. I returned to home country in Sep 2009 due to father’s ill health. As I am his only child, I had to take care of him.

Total time in Canada - 11 months

I started working in home country India. I got married in 2013 and now have 2 kids. I did a full time MBA and continued job in home country. I got USA B1 visa - travelled to USA in 2015 for 15 days. My father died recently. Now I am planning to move to Canada along with family (wife & 2 kids). So there is a 7.5 year gap since I last visited Canada.

What are the chances for getting PRTD on H&C grounds in India? If PRTD is rejected then can I use the land border crossing?
As I have a B1 visa, is it better to use the land border crossing? Any documents needed for land border crossing? What chances of getting reported? When can I apply for wife & kids - PR or visitor visa?
wow, 10 years ago,,,
You should start again,,,

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Which port of entry is best to enter Canada from usa with expired Pr card and landing papers..
Planning to go to Chicago first then thru detroit...hope it will be easy from there.

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
My daughter Pr card expired in 2015, she stayed only 4 months in 5 years tenure.. Now after 9 years she wants to go back to Canada. She has usa visitors visa.. If she enters thru Buffalo, will she be allowed entry.
Also she has a baby 2 years old and husband in qatar..How will the baby get to go to Canada.. Plz reply urgently.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My daughter Pr card expired in 2015, she stayed only 4 months in 5 years tenure.. Now after 9 years she wants to go back to Canada. She has usa visitors visa.. If she enters thru Buffalo, will she be allowed entry.
Also she has a baby 2 years old and husband in qatar..How will the baby get to go to Canada.. Plz reply urgently.
Others can comment as well but sure she can try entering from the US but the odds of being reported for failing the residency obligation are high leading to her PR status being revoked.

As a PR she would still be entitled to enter regardless and if lucky to not be reported she would have to stay put for a minimum of 2 years to reset the residency obligation and only then apply to renew her PR card.

Also note until the residency obligation has been reset she should not attempt to sponsor her child or husband given that could also lead to her status being revoked so she could have to face being apart from her family for some time, maybe a few years. It could also be doubtful either her husband or child could apply for a TRV in the mean time given her status.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bilkish

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The baby needs a TRV to enter Canada. Hard to say if one will be approved or not. Your daughter should be aware that she will not be able to sponsor her baby or husband for PR until she has returned to Canada and lived in Canada for two straight years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That will likely mean up to 3 years of separation. Given that your daughter is a PR it will definitely raise a red flag if her child or husband and child apply for TRVs. There is be suspicion that they are trying to return to Canada although they failed their RO. Her family should see if they qualify to immigrate again.