+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD - Options for Coming back to Canada

ksd_1970

Nov 30, 2018
Hi,

We applied PR for my Spouse under outland family sponsorship class while she was in Canada on Visitor visa, her PR is approved and eCOPR issued on Oct 1, 2020 and we applied for PR card as well on the same day. It has been 3 months now and we haven't received her PR card yet but we have travel to India coming up on Jan 10, 2022 which we can't avoid due to family restrictions and family health issues. I am thinking of below options, can some one please comment on feasibility of each of them and which would be best.

1. Apply for PRTD on the day we land in India but my concern is she would not have met her residency obligation (730 days) as she just got her PR in Oct 2020 and I am not sure how long this would take because of VAC closures in India.
2. She has valid visitor visa to U.S.A as well, can she travel to border city in U.S and travel by car to Canada with her Indian passport and eCopr ?

and any other options you think would be ideal, thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

We applied PR for my Spouse under outland family sponsorship class while she was in Canada on Visitor visa, her PR is approved and eCOPR issued on Oct 1, 2020 and we applied for PR card as well on the same day. It has been 3 months now and we haven't received her PR card yet but we have travel to India coming up on Jan 10, 2022 which we can't avoid due to family restrictions and family health issues. I am thinking of below options, can some one please comment on feasibility of each of them and which would be best.

1. Apply for PRTD on the day we land in India but my concern is she would not have met her residency obligation (730 days) as she just got her PR in Oct 2020 and I am not sure how long this would take because of VAC closures in India.
2. She has valid visitor visa to U.S.A as well, can she travel to border city in U.S and travel by car to Canada with her Indian passport and eCopr ?

and any other options you think would be ideal, thank you so much.
1. She is a new PR. This doesn't apply. She can apply for a PRTD.
2. Yes, this is possible. Make sure you leave enough time to take the molecular PCR test once you arrive in the US.

ksd_1970

Nov 30, 2018
1. She is a new PR. This doesn't apply. She can apply for a PRTD.
2. Yes, this is possible. Make sure you leave enough time to take the molecular PCR test once you arrive in the US.
1. Thank you for the quick reply, can you please explain what do you mean when you say "She is a new PR. This doesn't apply. She can apply for a PRTD." Does that mean for new PR holders with out their first PR card, residency obligation wouldn't be a problem ?
2. Yes, we will plan enough time for that. Thank you !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Thank you for the quick reply, can you please explain what do you mean when you say "She is a new PR. This doesn't apply. She can apply for a PRTD." Does that mean for new PR holders with out their first PR card, residency obligation wouldn't be a problem ?
If you read the residency obligation carefully, it says/means that she must be able to meet the 730 day test between the date she first lands and the five year anniversary of that date. (Or if you prefer - she must be out of Canada less than 1095 days between those two dates).

Given the facts you mention, she cannot be out of compliance if she landed on 1 october 2020, even if out of Canada full time since that date.

I believe that is what is meant by 'does not apply to her' from @scylla - it does not apply yet.

ksd_1970

Nov 30, 2018
If you read the residency obligation carefully, it says/means that she must be able to meet the 730 day test between the date she first lands and the five year anniversary of that date. (Or if you prefer - she must be out of Canada less than 1095 days between those two dates).

Given the facts you mention, she cannot be out of compliance if she landed on 1 october 2020, even if out of Canada full time since that date.

I believe that is what is meant by 'does not apply to her' from @scylla - it does not apply yet.
Got it, thank you for the detailed information. I believe travelling road via U.S.A seems like our fastest option than PRTD.

Thank you !

ksd_1970

Nov 30, 2018
I have a general question regarding the travel by road. Can we take a taxi service from U.S.A to Canada or we need to take one way rental car for crossing from U.S.A to Canada.

rajp10

Mar 27, 2021
Hi
i got ecopr on 3 rd November 2021 and on the same day i travel to india on evening 3rd November 2021. I didn't get pr card yet. So i have to apply for prtd to return canada. Is it going to problem for me to get prtd because i left canada on the same day after i got my ecopr?

Thanks in advance.

kittu03

Apr 3, 2020
I have a general question regarding the travel by road. Can we take a taxi service from U.S.A to Canada or we need to take one way rental car for crossing from U.S.A to Canada.
Hi, when are you planning to travel from USA?
Are USA land borders open in Covid?
I am waiting for my PRTD from more than 1 month but still no response. So, I am also thinking to travel this month from USA land border.
Please let me know.

ksd_1970

Nov 30, 2018
Hi, when are you planning to travel from USA?
Are USA land borders open in Covid?
I am waiting for my PRTD from more than 1 month but still no response. So, I am also thinking to travel this month from USA land border.
Please let me know.
We successfully were able to enter in to Canada via land border on Feb 5, sorry for the delay in response and they just asked for eCOPR and vaccine test as suggested above.

Reactions: scylla

vikramnaik14

Nov 30, 2020
Category........
PNP
We successfully were able to enter in to Canada via land border on Feb 5, sorry for the delay in response and they just asked for eCOPR and vaccine test as suggested above.
I believe you have to travel in a private vehicle for this?

Yaminisura

Mar 28, 2022
Hello, were you able to travel to india and back to canada without any problem with just ecopr and Indian passport? Please let us know. We have got our copr in nov 2021 and still waiting for card but we want yo travel to india asap. We have US b1/b2 can we enter via US to canada in rental or someone can pick us at US border city to enter canada witj just ecopr?

Yaminisura

Mar 28, 2022
Hi,
Can anyone suggest if we can travel to canada via US with ecopr and Indian passport. We have valid B1/B2 for entering into US. I have received my ecopr in nov 2021 but still waiting for PR card. I need to travel to India urgently and want to know if this is an option.
Also What documents will be asked at immigration while entering to canada via land? We plan to enter using rental car or someone can pick us up at the border city.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, were you able to travel to india and back to canada without any problem with just ecopr and Indian passport? Please let us know. We have got our copr in nov 2021 and still waiting for card but we want yo travel to india asap. We have US b1/b2 can we enter via US to canada in rental or someone can pick us at US border city to enter canada witj just ecopr?
You can go through the US but to fly to Canada you’ll need a PRTD or PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Can anyone suggest if we can travel to canada via US with ecopr and Indian passport. We have valid B1/B2 for entering into US. I have received my ecopr in nov 2021 but still waiting for PR card. I need to travel to India urgently and want to know if this is an option.
Also What documents will be asked at immigration while entering to canada via land? We plan to enter using rental car or someone can pick us up at the border city.
Yes it’s possible. Landing documents and your passport should be fine.