+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Application & PR Renewal

cjanssen

Mar 22, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen living with my wife and daughter in Denmark. My wife currently has a PR card as we lived in Canada before, which is still valid as we have been together to meet the requirements. However, our current travel plans to Canada were unexpectedly delayed, and we are now set to arrive a month past the expiry on her PR card...

I see we can apply for a PRTD if we send a bunch of paperwork, including her passport to Canada. We are just worried they will not send her passport back in time before our departure in mid-July. If we manage to make it work, we are only in Canada for three weeks, making it hard to apply for a new PR card since they can't mail internationally (unless they can mail to my parents). So, are we stuck applying for a PRTD every time we visit my family in Canada?

The other option I see is to apply to involuntarily renounce her PR status at the embassy here in Denmark and get a simple ETA when we come to visit. Then, if we ever plan to move back to Canada in 5-10 years, we can reapply for PR status again (and pay the ~$1000 fee). Of course, we would push to keep the PR card if we could count the time together towards citizenship, but that's only allowed from within Canada.

Does anyone have advice or experience here? Am I missing anything? Any information that I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
There might be an option for multiple entry PRTD for PRs who accompany their Canadian citizen spouses

Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
Another option would be to fly to USA, and cross back into Canada by land.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For your trip in July, the easy option is to travel through USA and entery Canada by road as DK citizen won't need a visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen living with my wife and daughter in Denmark. My wife currently has a PR card as we lived in Canada before, which is still valid as we have been together to meet the requirements. However, our current travel plans to Canada were unexpectedly delayed, and we are now set to arrive a month past the expiry on her PR card...

I see we can apply for a PRTD if we send a bunch of paperwork, including her passport to Canada. We are just worried they will not send her passport back in time before our departure in mid-July. If we manage to make it work, we are only in Canada for three weeks, making it hard to apply for a new PR card since they can't mail internationally (unless they can mail to my parents). So, are we stuck applying for a PRTD every time we visit my family in Canada?

The other option I see is to apply to involuntarily renounce her PR status at the embassy here in Denmark and get a simple ETA when we come to visit. Then, if we ever plan to move back to Canada in 5-10 years, we can reapply for PR status again (and pay the ~$1000 fee). Of course, we would push to keep the PR card if we could count the time together towards citizenship, but that's only allowed from within Canada.

Does anyone have advice or experience here? Am I missing anything? Any information that I am missing would be greatly appreciated.
Would try for a multiple entry PRTD but would apply as soon as possible.

cjanssen

Mar 22, 2015
For a PRTD we would need to ship her physical passport, correct? And then just hope immigration services will send it back on time?

If we decide to just renounce her PR status we would then need to apply again IF we decide to move back and pay the fees? Would that hurt her reapplication at all?