+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRRA PHONE INTERVIEW, GOOD SIGN?

Moyo711

Aug 8, 2018
Hello,

Hope all are well.

My mother recently received a phone call from a CBSA official and asked if she is working, sick, driver's license, if she drives, and where her children are. She was told she will receive a document in the mail for a face to face interview. Does anyone know if this is a good sign?

FYI: Her work permit was pending but was approved after she missed the first call from the CBSA official. Not sure if they are linked.

I would appreciate your insight.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hello,

Hope all are well.

My mother recently received a phone call from a CBSA official and asked if she is working, sick, driver's license, if she drives, and where her children are. She was told she will receive a document in the mail for a face to face interview. Does anyone know if this is a good sign?

FYI: Her work permit was pending but was approved after she missed the first call from the CBSA official. Not sure if they are linked.

Hi, if it was the CBSA calling then it wasn't a PRRA Officer who was on the other end as they work for IRCC. Has a PRRA application been submitted, maybe with an accompanying H&C?

The PRRA is a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment so there has to be a removal order and the questions for a stand alone PRRA application (no H&C) wouldn't logically relate to her circumstances in Canada but rather whatever risk is alleged in her home country. If there's an H&C then these sorts of questions might come up. A face to face interview for PRRA is a pretty rare occurance even without a pandemic.

What country is she from and was there a failed refugee claim in Canada?

Moyo711

Aug 8, 2018
Hi, if it was the CBSA calling then it wasn't a PRRA Officer who was on the other end as they work for IRCC. Has a PRRA application been submitted, maybe with an accompanying H&C?

The PRRA is a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment so there has to be a removal order and the questions for a stand alone PRRA application (no H&C) wouldn't logically relate to her circumstances in Canada but rather whatever risk is alleged in her home country. If there's an H&C then these sorts of questions might come up. A face to face interview for PRRA is a pretty rare occurance even without a pandemic.

What country is she from and was there a failed refugee claim in Canada?

Hello,

A PRRA application was submitted. Failed refugee claim and H&C was denied in April 2020. Liberia is the home country.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hello,

A PRRA application was submitted. Failed refugee claim and H&C was denied in April 2020. Liberia is the home country.
Hey there - it sounds like the questions may relate to the H&C rather than PRRA and I wouldn't think that it was from the CBSA as they're not going to do anything until the PRRA is decided.

Is it a good sign? It's not a negative that they're looking for more information. It's a very good time to look again, and list for your own purpose, points that might add to the application since it was submitted. Things like establishment, commitment to Canada and her importance to the family. A focus on whatever hardships may await her if she's deported is also a wise endeavour.

H&Cs see way more positive decisions than PRRAs so, if eligible, it's never a bad idea to have both submitted for consideration.

Good luck

Last edited:

Pear23

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,

Hope all are well.

any update on your mom's case? My friend received the same phone call interview waiting for a letter in the mail for face to face interview!

Moyo711

Aug 8, 2018
any update on your mom's case? My friend received the same phone call interview waiting for a letter in the mail for face to face interview!
No, still waiting on the letter. Not sure how long it takes to get the notice.