+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Atham

Newbie
Sep 27, 2026
1
0
Hello everyone,
I’m looking for advice from people who have experience with Protected Person PR applications and long processing delays.
am a Canadian Protected Person. My refugee claim was accepted in December 2021, and I submitted my Permanent Residence application in April 2022 through the Protected Person pathway.
My application has now been in process for almost 5 years, and I still have not received a final PR decision.
Here is the timeline/information I have:

December 2021: Refugee claim accepted / Protected Person status granted.
  • April 2022: PR application submitted.
  • 2023: My family-related file was sent to the New Delhi visa office.
  • 2024: I was asked for a UK police certificate, which I submitted in February 2024. The UK record involved a caution following an arrest, but there was no conviction.
  • At one point, my GCMS notes appeared to indicate that my application had been approved/confirmed, but subsequently the application was reopened for another eligibility review.
  • The eligibility review has apparently remained unresolved for a very long time.
  • More recently, IRCC/MP updates indicated that my background/security checks had passed, but that further verification/eligibility review was still ongoing.
  • My IRCC account has also shown changes in the background-check status over time, including “not applicable.”
  • I have not received a new document request or an explanation of what exactly is still being verified.
 
Hello everyone,
I’m looking for advice from people who have experience with Protected Person PR applications and long processing delays.
am a Canadian Protected Person. My refugee claim was accepted in December 2021, and I submitted my Permanent Residence application in April 2022 through the Protected Person pathway.
My application has now been in process for almost 5 years, and I still have not received a final PR decision.
Here is the timeline/information I have:

December 2021: Refugee claim accepted / Protected Person status granted.
  • April 2022: PR application submitted.
  • 2023: My family-related file was sent to the New Delhi visa office.
  • 2024: I was asked for a UK police certificate, which I submitted in February 2024. The UK record involved a caution following an arrest, but there was no conviction.
  • At one point, my GCMS notes appeared to indicate that my application had been approved/confirmed, but subsequently the application was reopened for another eligibility review.
  • The eligibility review has apparently remained unresolved for a very long time.
  • More recently, IRCC/MP updates indicated that my background/security checks had passed, but that further verification/eligibility review was still ongoing.
  • My IRCC account has also shown changes in the background-check status over time, including “not applicable.”
  • I have not received a new document request or an explanation of what exactly is still being verified.

You should post under the refugee section. Do you live in Quebec?