+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person Work Permit Expiry

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Hey everyone,

My work permit has expired. My passport has also expired, but it is with the government as it was taken when my refugee claim was being heard. Now that my work permit is expired, I am unable to fill an application as when I put my passport expiry, it says I need to put an expiry date more than today's date. What should I do? Help! Thanks in advance. :)

rollie90210

Jan 31, 2018
You can start applying 4 months before the work permit expires but not after it expires.
Now you have to select new work permit instead of a renewal.
Put the expiry date of the passport for next year and send a letter of explanation on why you did that. Or send paper/hard copy application which takes much more time

anne_tria

Jan 21, 2019
Hey everyone,

My work permit has expired. My passport has also expired, but it is with the government as it was taken when my refugee claim was being heard. Now that my work permit is expired, I am unable to fill an application as when I put my passport expiry, it says I need to put an expiry date more than today's date. What should I do? Help! Thanks in advance. :)

Hi..im just wondering if what did you do to renew your work permit..im in the same situation and for some reason i cant get a hold of cic..should i just not validate the form and explain it? or do i have to do it by mail?

Mimo_mj

Jul 1, 2020
Hi I am facing the same situation as well do you mean to put the expire date as today and send it in? Do I have to explain the reason on why I haven’t renewed it?

Saba321

Jan 26, 2018
I applied work permit for my husband.. his passport is expired as well.. so i put date for next year. His work permit wss approved and we received it.