+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospective Student for January, May, and September 2019 Intake Gather Here For Question and Answer

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
@AstronomyNut not really sure about the acceptance requirements into any of the aforementioned schools but your profile is good except the part of no research experience,

out of curiosity, how come you didn't conduct a research in your final school years or your department didn't offer sure??

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
@AstronomyNut not really sure about the acceptance requirements into any of the aforementioned schools but your profile is good except the part of no research experience,

out of curiosity, how come you didn't conduct a research in your final school years or your department didn't offer sure??
Thank you for your reply.

Admission Requirements => I am well within the requirements of any university in Canada, especially if they take into account the fact that mine is a UK based degree and you can't simply convert it to a 4.0 or 10.0 GPA scale. If they consider that, my overall GPA is very good.

Research => I should have been clearer. I did a final year project that was also related to the specialization I seek now - but is this really research? I am not sure. I did do a serious amount of researching by which I mean reading about the area and trying various techniques. Infact, it is what got me interested in the area. However, I do not have any publications to my name and I have not worked independently in any lab.

Rockyrock

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you for your reply.

Admission Requirements => I am well within the requirements of any university in Canada, especially if they take into account the fact that mine is a UK based degree and you can't simply convert it to a 4.0 or 10.0 GPA scale. If they consider that, my overall GPA is very good.

Research => I should have been clearer. I did a final year project that was also related to the specialization I seek now - but is this really research? I am not sure. I did do a serious amount of researching by which I mean reading about the area and trying various techniques. Infact, it is what got me interested in the area. However, I do not have any publications to my name and I have not worked independently in any lab.
An original research work means you have developed a new methodology or improved an existing literature and added some uniqueness to it. . A project work usually uses the existing literature and methodologies and do not add any uniqueness to it. In case of course based master's program, usually a project is required, and in case of master of science, a unique research ( thesis ) is required. Just for your information :)

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
No, I guess your final year project was Thesis base and not research though sometimes Thesis need some research before it can be written.. but I think its Thesis base

However, to the best of my knowledge, your profile is impressive as that is already worthy of an attention, I think your work experience is good enough also but it would be best if you contact your prospect DLI to actually know the importance they hold in research works before granting an admission or seeking more information(if its for you to quickly put something together to show your research work) because in a literally point, most Canada schools(department) requires either a previous work on Thesis or Research

Though you can also decide to talk about reasons for not having a research work when writing your letter of intent

Reactions: Al Saudi

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
An original research work means you have developed a new methodology or improved an existing literature and added some uniqueness to it. . A project work usually uses the existing literature and methodologies and do not add any uniqueness to it. In case of course based master's program, usually a project is required, and in case of master of science, a unique research ( thesis ) is required. Just for your information :)
Yes, I'm aware. However, note that no engineering school actually lets you write just a thesis in Bachelors - at least in the UK. I had to make something and then write a report. Truthfully, my project wasn't even looked at and my entire credit was based on the report. Also, most universities are very well aware that original research is very rare in Bachelors. In fact, even a masters level thesis is not required to present original results - based on what I've read. So, not to bolster my own profile or anything, I think a candidate with original work during a Bachelors would be an exceedingly gifted individual and would probably be applying to Ivy League schools. :) Just my 2 cents.

No, I guess your final year project was Thesis base and not research though sometimes Thesis need some research before it can be written.. but I think its Thesis base

However, to the best of my knowledge, your profile is impressive as that is already worthy of an attention, I think your work experience is good enough also but it would be best if you contact your prospect DLI to actually know the importance they hold in research works before granting an admission or seeking more information(if its for you to quickly put something together to show your research work) because in a literally point, most Canada schools(department) requires either a previous work on Thesis or Research

Though you can also decide to talk about reasons for not having a research work when writing your letter of intent
Thank you. I have already applied (final apps in late January) and I'm just hoping I get an offer from a good school. In my SOP for the schools I wrote extensively about the projects I managed [all related to the specialization I seek], I talk about 3-4 projects. My heart is in research and not a course based degree. But if I don't have an option I will take up an offer from a course based program and then try to switch once I'm there.

Only thing I didn't do that I can improve upon next time (writing here for other readers):
1) I did not contact any potential supervisors until December/January and i think it was a little too late by then. I didn't get any responses but generally international students rarely get responses due to funding etc. If I have to do it, I will focus on this aspect a lot more and be a bit persistent (but gentle) with potential supervisors

2) My degree is from the UK and are my referees. The culture in the UK is to write brief and succinct letters of recommendation whereas in Canada and United States, they expect the letter to say a little about your character. If I have to do it again - I really hope I don't this is the single most stressful part of applying - I would try to explain to my referees to elaborate a bit on my achievements/awards.

3) I cannot gain any meaningful research experience (i.e. actually publish something) in a year so it is a moot point. But this is clearly a very valuable aspect of one's application.

4) I do not know if Canadian schools take into account 'knowledge atrophy' as years pass by in an employment but if they do perhaps a good GRE would mitigate this but generally in Canada.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Just keep your fingers crossed bro.. we all know the 'power in the fear of the unknown' but just hang your hopes in the line and pray its sun, not rain.. its well

If I may ask, how many schools do you apply to?

Reactions: Al Saudi
Feb 11, 2018
I am a bachelor student of computer science with 3.2 CGPA uptil the 7th semester.
I have already given IELTS,got 8 band overall.
I also have a very strong financial backing.
I want to apply for masters in Computer Science for the jan intake 2019.
I want to apply for universities in Ontario ,preferably closer to toronto.
So far I have shortlisted these universities.
McMaster University
Ryerson University
University of Guelph

What are my chance in these universities?
Any other universities I should be looking at in this region as well?

mr_vishal

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
I am a bachelor student of computer science with 3.2 CGPA uptil the 7th semester.
I have already given IELTS,got 8 band overall.
I also have a very strong financial backing.
I want to apply for masters in Computer Science for the jan intake 2019.
I want to apply for universities in Ontario ,preferably closer to toronto.
So far I have shortlisted these universities.
McMaster University
Ryerson University
University of Guelph

What are my chance in these universities?
Any other universities I should be looking at in this region as well?
Hey, i'm also planning for JAN-2019 intake in the same field.
As per my research, University you mentioned above needs good CGPA and good IELTS score. your IELTS score is excellent. I would suggest meeting consultant for more information they will guide you well.

Feb 11, 2018
Hey, i'm also planning for JAN-2019 intake in the same field.
As per my research, University you mentioned above needs good CGPA and good IELTS score. your IELTS score is excellent. I would suggest meeting consultant for more information they will guide you well.

Oh hey thats great.
What universities have you shortlisted?
And When are you going to apply?

obajoey

Apr 4, 2018
Hello,
I have HND from one of the polytechnics in Nigeria, what level of studies or program can I be admitted to.