+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intention to return to Canada???

pablito_KS

Sep 20, 2016
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have recent experience on proving the sponsor’s intent to return to Canada when both the sponsor and sponsored person live together abroad? I am aware there were posts on this subject before, but all of them are a bit seasoned so I hope you don’t mind me opening a new thread.

My wife (Canadian citizen) is trying to sponsor my PR application. We have already used to live in Canada for a while (I was there on a temporary work visa) but we decided to go on one more adventure overseas before finally settling down in Canada. I accepted a two-year job offer abroad and my wife came with me. We thought that’s a great setting to finally tackle my PR application and come back to Canada with all paperwork done.
We are now some 9 months into the application process, just past the medical exam and two rounds of requests for additional documents. My job over here ends in November and we are planning to go back to Canada in December.

Now it turns out that the overseas visa office in charge of my application won’t believe my wife that she intends to go back to Canada (really ?!?). We have already submitted her Canadian bank account statements featuring most of her savings, her confirmation of enrolment at a Canadian University (distance learning) as well as a letter stating her firm intention to return, plus my work contract ending in November, only to receive a message from CIC stating that the evidence of the sponsor’s intention to return is not satisfactory. We have only two weeks’ time to come up with more evidence, otherwise the entire application will likely get rejected (according to that e-mail).

To be honest, there is not much more of a proof that we can offer CIC apart from our good intentions. We had met travelling and led a bit on an 'out-of-the-suitcase' lifestyle over the past years. So even during our time in Canada we rented a place and did not buy any property etc. The few material things we own are stored in boxes in the basement of a family member in Canada.
What type of proof can we provide? Of course, we will not buy property in Canada within the next 14 days and it does not make sense to ask anyone about apartment rental If we don’t even know when CIC would process the application. Job applications also don’t make sense since we plan to return only in December.

Does anyone have any advice what other type of proof might make the visa officer approve our file? Any hints are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablito

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
You may have a genuine problem convincing them - the fact that we're only in March, and you don't intend to move until December is a big problem. CIC want people to move very quickly after being granted permission, and in some cases have refused to continue processing until a person submits proof of having resigned from their job abroad.

Although lots of people want to organise their lives (quite reasonably!) with advance lead-in time, so you can plan the move back knowing you're allowed to, CIC don't want to give you permission to do that until they think you're going to do it within weeks, or a few months at most.

I don't have any very helpful advice, more sympathy. You can email random real estate agents, and register your Canadian partner on the Canadian govt job bank, and see if that's enough for them (you should definitely try throwing as much proof as possible at them), but there's a very real possibility you'll actually be told not at this time, apply closer to your planned move date.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
what you sent doesn't qualify as proof, because it doesn't show permanent intentions. a person in a distance learning program does not need to be living in canada, and just because you have a canadian bank account doesn't mean you have intentions to move back to canada.

Items that do show permanent intentions:
Letters from family in canada offering help while you get on your feet when you move (if the sponsor has family you will be living near)
research done on the area you plan to move to (apartment availability, communication with landlords/real estate agents about the possibility of rentals/houses, lists of industries/companies you'll be applying to for a job, newcomer organizations you plan to reach out to when you settle in canada, etc).

I also agree with the poster above, using a specific timeline can work against you. Telling them you don't plan to go until December can trigger them to reject your application because you are not ready to move - we have seen this happen before. DO NOT use specific dates in your explanation. you need to emphasis your plan is "immediately upon approval".

they are not looking for things to be set in stone. they are well aware that is not always possible. They are looking for a plan that makes sense and that is immediate. They don't care about your plans as the applicant to leave your job. They want to see the sponsor's plans for leaving. She needs to show what she is doing to prepare to come back as soon as you are approved. There is more to preparing than just having a bank account and starting a distance learning program.

Reactions: Tracy0011

pablito_KS

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for your opinions, guys! Even though they are not very encouraging. You know, the funny thing is at the beginning of my application process the VO had an average processing time which would have just matched our desired moving date – we actually had thought of that. But then the processing times were cut by a couple of months and consequently the application process is also a couple of months ahead of the schedule and everything is a mess!

Well, we will refrain from mentioning any dates. Thanks for the hint! And in fact while we originally planned to leave in December, I can always quit my job ahead of time and leave before that. That might be a painful but still better option than to have to re-start the PR application all over again. But at this point of time the challenge will be to create sufficient evidence for that willingness within only 14 days.

So we’ll step up the communication with realtors, try to get some supportive letters from friends & family. We’ll see if my wife can prove some kind of job searching activity.
Any other ideas? What about re-activating memberships in our Canadian home town? Gym, library, car-share? Would that support our case? Anything else I might not be thinking of?

pablito_KS

Sep 20, 2016
Just thought I'd share my experience to give something back to the community.

We created a considerable paper trail with realtors in our Canadian destination city, got letters of support from relatives who offer to provide free accommodation or verified that they are storing our belongings in their basement. And it worked! I am a proud holder of a PR visa!

Simple letters were just fine. I saw some people on the forum claiming they'd need to be notarized, but that hassle wasn't required (at least in my case). Now we end up coming back to Canada much earlier than expected anyway, so things worked out just great! Landing in two weeks from now :) Thanks again for the support, forum!

Craddy

Jul 16, 2017
Oh my gosh, I'm worried now as all the letters I've had my family write are stating we are moving in March 2018 which is when our tenancy on our flat is up. That's only 7 months from now and surely with the stated processing average time of 12 months that wouldn't be deemed as too far in the future!? For our proof of intent pretty much all I have is a letter giving our 'game plan' of when we're moving, giving notice to vacate our flat, where we plan to live, some job searches and property rental searches etc. After reading the above I'm now really concerned!!!

Twinny

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have recent experience on proving the sponsor’s intent to return to Canada when both the sponsor and sponsored person live together abroad? I am aware there were posts on this subject before, but all of them are a bit seasoned so I hope you don’t mind me opening a new thread.

My wife (Canadian citizen) is trying to sponsor my PR application. We have already used to live in Canada for a while (I was there on a temporary work visa) but we decided to go on one more adventure overseas before finally settling down in Canada. I accepted a two-year job offer abroad and my wife came with me. We thought that’s a great setting to finally tackle my PR application and come back to Canada with all paperwork done.
We are now some 9 months into the application process, just past the medical exam and two rounds of requests for additional documents. My job over here ends in November and we are planning to go back to Canada in December.

Now it turns out that the overseas visa office in charge of my application won’t believe my wife that she intends to go back to Canada (really ?!?). We have already submitted her Canadian bank account statements featuring most of her savings, her confirmation of enrolment at a Canadian University (distance learning) as well as a letter stating her firm intention to return, plus my work contract ending in November, only to receive a message from CIC stating that the evidence of the sponsor’s intention to return is not satisfactory. We have only two weeks’ time to come up with more evidence, otherwise the entire application will likely get rejected (according to that e-mail).

To be honest, there is not much more of a proof that we can offer CIC apart from our good intentions. We had met travelling and led a bit on an 'out-of-the-suitcase' lifestyle over the past years. So even during our time in Canada we rented a place and did not buy any property etc. The few material things we own are stored in boxes in the basement of a family member in Canada.
What type of proof can we provide? Of course, we will not buy property in Canada within the next 14 days and it does not make sense to ask anyone about apartment rental If we don’t even know when CIC would process the application. Job applications also don’t make sense since we plan to return only in December.

Does anyone have any advice what other type of proof might make the visa officer approve our file? Any hints are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablito
Hi I know this is an older post I'm just wondering how you got on with your evidence?

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Hey, I hope you reply, I understand this is an old post, but I am going through the same thing you did. I need to provide evidence that shows I will move to Canada permanently once my husband receives ppr. I am the sponsor and we applied outland, we live together in the UAE.

My father is writing a letter offering us free accommodation. Should he direct that letter to immigration Canada, or should he direct the letter to me (the sponsor)?

Please, any help will be appreciated.

Twinny

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Hi I know this is an older post I'm just wondering how you got on with your evidence?
Hi ya, my dad addressed his letter to the immigration office and so did my boss with his letter, I also included passport shots of travel visits to canada, my house being valued and I also wrote a letter myself, and also emails my husband sent me of houses he was looking at, good luck, let us know how you get on

Craddy

Jul 16, 2017
My father is writing a letter offering us free accommodation. Should he direct that letter to immigration Canada, or should he direct the letter to me (the sponsor)?

Please, any help will be appreciated.
Hello!

I think my family and friends all wrote “to whom it may concern” and then confirmed my intentions to relocate to Canada, that we have been planning this for x amount of time, my mum stated we would be staying with her etc. I also wrote a game plan letter stating what our plans were such as where we want to live, when we would arrive, what kind of jobs we will be looking for an how much we expect to be earning. Also when I was going to be handing in my notice at work. I screen shotted examples of property listings we would be looking at and also job postings. I also explained how much savings we have, what shipping companies we had been looking at and included a printed email quote from a shipping company. You just need to provide as much detail as you can to show you have been doing real solid research and have a whole plan in place. That worked for us! We applied Sept 1st and stated intention to move in March and there was no issue. Good luck!! :)

annieaz

Apr 5, 2016
Hello!

I think my family and friends all wrote “to whom it may concern” and then confirmed my intentions to relocate to Canada, that we have been planning this for x amount of time, my mum stated we would be staying with her etc. I also wrote a game plan letter stating what our plans were such as where we want to live, when we would arrive, what kind of jobs we will be looking for an how much we expect to be earning. Also when I was going to be handing in my notice at work. I screen shotted examples of property listings we would be looking at and also job postings. I also explained how much savings we have, what shipping companies we had been looking at and included a printed email quote from a shipping company. You just need to provide as much detail as you can to show you have been doing real solid research and have a whole plan in place. That worked for us! We applied Sept 1st and stated intention to move in March and there was no issue. Good luck!! :)
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I have similar evidence showing intent to move back to Canada. I applied July 19. This is the first time I've heard from LVO since December asking for proof of intent to move to Canada. Did you receive ppr yet or still waiting? And what VO?

Craddy

Jul 16, 2017
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I have similar evidence showing intent to move back to Canada. I applied July 19. This is the first time I've heard from LVO since December asking for proof of intent to move to Canada. Did you receive ppr yet or still waiting? And what VO?
You’re most welcome! Wow that’s a long wait you’ve had!!! Which VO are you? We got PPR back in February via London VO. I guess as they say each officer is different and maybe has different things they are looking for unfortunately :( I’m sorry it’s taking so long for you.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
We just got this letter as well.

Funny thing is, we are already living in Canada. We applied Outland in early October, 2018.

Then, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to move back to Canada permanently, and I did so on October 30th. My wife had a Visitors Visa already, and our son is a Canadian citizen born outside of Canada. He has his certificate and passport.

They joined me in Canada in late November. We updated our address on GCKey to our Canadian address.

We got a letter asking for many additional documents, some of which were proof of sponsor’s intent to live in Canada.

I sent in bank statements, the health insurance policy that I bought for my wife and son, our OHIP registry letters (my son and myself). We had a letter from my mother stating that we could live at her house indefinitely in the original application.

Today we received the letter stating that the officer was not convinced that I, the sponsor, intended to live here.

I don’t know what else to send. I don’t have a lease in my name, I don’t have local employment yet, I technically still work for a non Canadian company.

We’re here already. Two of us are citizens. What more do they want?