+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of return flight out of North America for Bunac visa

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Does anybody know of a site which will allow me to reserve a one way flight over 12 months in advance?

The reason I am asking is because Bunac now want proof of this before they will release the work permit, however most of the sites online will only let you reserve a flight up to 364 days in advance and I believe that this is because of some kind of legislation on air travel tickets. I did think about contacting Bunac to query this but I know their response will be 'well you can always book one through us' but they can run and jump, they've had enough of my money already for what looks like a fairly straightforward procedure. It's probably also worth mentioning that my gf is applying through Japan and only needs to pay the CIC fees. It makes no mention of a return ticket in her documentation so it doesn't really sound like it is a CIC requirement for the letter of authorisation to be issued. Unfortunately it also needs to be a flight out of the NAFTA area as well so you can't even get a cheap ticket to the US or something at the last minute.

The information on this from Bunac is here by the way: h**p://w**.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/faqs.aspx

It's the bottom item on that page and incidentally a multiple threads on forums and other websites across the internet also state that it can't be done, so what the hell are Bunac playing at? An example is given here: h**p://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576245

Any help/guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. I only started the registration process yesterday but I'm trying to get things sorted out as quickly as possible.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Book a refundable ticket 364 days into the future and refund it after you are in Canada. :)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For economy class you generally have to have a student or youth (under 26 years old card) to be allowed to do that, but I think you have more flexibility when it comes to higher priced flights (which wouldn't matter if you would be refunding it. I'm not aware of there being major differences between airlines.

Bloodrose said:
Do you know of any airlines in particular that offer that service? :)

amelia

Jan 14, 2010
Hi, did you manage to get your flight sorted? I went through the Bunac program in 08-09 & I found that very confusing as no airline seemed to offer booking a flight that far in advance.
What I had to do was book it as close as possible, I think it's like 11 months, then when you get there you will just have to pay a fee to change your ticket to a different date.
Hope this helps.

Andrewmk3

Oct 18, 2010
Hey, sorry to jump in.

We are already in Canada as tourists and want to apply through BUNAC to get the 12 month working visa to stay and work.

Assuming the Canadian Embassy do not change their rules am I right in thinking that we can apply from here, then provide BUNAC with our proof of onwards flights within the year + Insurance so they issue us with the letter then just drive to the border of the US and re-enter with our letter from BUNAC to activate the Visa?

Or.. would we have to fly out of Canada to somewhere and back in?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks