+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of residency for a housewife

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Recently I read a case from the other forum that the applicant's citizenship was being denied because "He has not declared any activities from (6 months), or from (3 months)”. According to his post, he was unemployed during those periods, he did cash rental so the landlord didn't provide contract. Other than that, he has bank statements, letter from church pastor etc... but the judge just said all those proofs are not solid enough.

Now I'm worry about my situation when applying citizenship in the near future:

I'm a housewife, unemployed since landing, but I do file tax assessment written "unemployed".
I'm living with my husband (of course) in his property, all the utility bills are under his name.
Not much transactions in my bank account, no credit card.
My kid has not gone to school yet, so not school reports etc...
I don't go to church or participated any volunteer work.

Basically, I have nothing "solid" to proof my residency.

Even worse, I have lots of short trips back home.

I know I'll get RQ for sure, but in my case, what other proof I can provide to make the application/RQ smoother?
Or should I delay my application for few years, wait until my kid go to school so that I have more proofs?

Please advise, thanks!

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Do you have any doctor visits in the last four years, have you attended any language classes, is your name on the rent contract mentioned?

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
toshib said:
Do you have any doctor visits in the last four years, have you attended any language classes, is your name on the rent contract mentioned?
I did visit doctors, went to hospital in the past 4 years
I haven't attended any language class.
The house was bought under my husband's name.

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
If you have enough doctor visits during the past for years(say like you visit the doctor every two months at least) this can help , if your country stamps entry and exit stamps always this can help with translation, if you can get entry/exit reports from your home country with translation, this report can match the CBSA entry record which may convince the officer that you were really living in Canada the required time

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
toshib said:
If you have enough doctor visits during the past for years(say like you visit the doctor every two months at least) this can help
Thank you Toshib!

However, I only visit doctor when I'm really sick but not every 2 months; except the period during my pregnancy :'(

Some people suggested that try to take pic with my baby every month... it seems a bit silly but do you think it works?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Kikilala said:
Recently I read a case from the other forum that the applicant's citizenship was being denied because "He has not declared any activities from (6 months), or from (3 months)”. According to his post, he was unemployed during those periods, he did cash rental so the landlord didn't provide contract. Other than that, he has bank statements, letter from church pastor etc... but the judge just said all those proofs are not solid enough.

I'm a housewife, unemployed since landing, but I do file tax assessment written "unemployed".
I'm living with my husband (of course) in his property, all the utility bills are under his name.

I know I'll get RQ for sure, but in my case, what other proof I can provide to make the application/RQ smoother?
Or should I delay my application for few years, wait until my kid go to school so that I have more proofs?

Please advise, thanks!
Did you use only flights for your trips outside Canada?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Kikilala said:
Yes, only flight
Don't worry about RQ then. CIC now has all the exits and entries from the major airports in Canada because of the enhanced business channels.

That case which you are referring was for sure under the old rules where CIC didn't had access to the Exits.
Now it is different.

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Politren said:
Don't worry about RQ then. CIC now has all the exits and entries from the major airports in Canada because of the enhanced business channels.

That case which you are referring was for sure under the old rules where CIC didn't had access to the Exits.
Now it is different.
Politren said:

Now it is different.
Thanks Politren!

But I have US visa which I never used after landing and already expired, will CIC suspects I leave the country by road?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Kikilala said:
Thanks Politren!

But I have US visa which I never used after landing and already expired, will CIC suspects I leave the country by road?
If you have never used the visa for the US that means that there will be for sure no records of entries to Canada or US. The problems are usually when you cross the Land border, but in your case is irrelevant since you have never crossed the land border.

Just make sure that you declare all your trips by absolutely precise dates.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Kikilala said:

Please advise, thanks!
There are alternate ways to prove your presence in the country.

1) Request your Travel History Records from CBSA
2) Request your Health Card Records from Provincial Ministry of Health
3) Obviously - Copy of Passport has (Entry & Exit dates)

Possibly, if you are a house wife CIC may not expect other proof beyond copies of passport to establish your presence in the country.

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Politren said:

Now it is different.
Politren that is not correct ,cic does not have at all the exit records and does not know when travelers exit that's why cic asks for residency of proof documents, as my cousin works for Air Canada he told me that there is no communication between airlines and cic/cbsa till date so they never know when you exit they just record entry, the only exception to this is that cic and cbsa have communication with the U.S border so they only know if you exit from Canada to the U.S

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
CIC now has access to the exit records from the main airports in Canada and it seems that CBSA was keeping and maintaining such exits records even before with the flight manifests included as information.

Last time when I came back in Canada the CBSA officer told me that they control and collect the exit dates by the scanning of the boarding pass with the RF scanner before the security zone. This is automatically recorded as an exit in the CBSA database on the date of departure from Canada.

Now I see that they have had exit control for a while at the airports. Look for example a reference from 4 years ago the same information shared here from the valuable user Scylla http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-cic-track-exits-from-canada-t125892.0.html

The main problem for CIC before the new rules was that they didn't had access to the exit database maintained from CBSA from the airports, but now they have it due to the enhanced business channels.
However , there is still exit entry control issues only at the land border with US.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Politren said:
CIC now has access to the exit records from the main airports in Canada and it seems that CBSA was keeping and maintaining such exits records even before with the flight manifests included as information.

Last time when I came back in Canada the CBSA officer told me that they control and collect the exit dates by the scanning of the boarding pass with the RF scanner before the security zone. This is automatically recorded as an exit in the CBSA database on the date of departure from Canada.

Now I see that they have had exit control for a while at the airports. Look for example a reference from 4 years ago the same information shared here from the valuable user Scylla http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-cic-track-exits-from-canada-t125892.0.html

The main problem for CIC before the new rules was that they didn't had access to the exit database maintained from CBSA from the airports, but now they have it due to the enhanced business channels.
However , there is still exit entry control issues only at the land border with US.
US entry and exits are available here - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html

The only way US knows your exit date is because Canada has shared it with US. So, cic knows all of my exits and entries.

I'm not sure if this works for visa waiver countries.

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Hi Politren,

If CIC really has the access to the exit records then why does cic till date gives RQs to some citizenship applicants asking for documents for proof of residency till today? I just went through some recent posts for Feb 2016 where CIC still issues RQs to some applicants till date. Why doesn't CIC simply check the entry/exit record to determine the residency of the applicant if that is true without the need for RQ