+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relatives : How to document that?

pk saini

Star Member
Apr 19, 2017
i got stuck at one point. i don't have full 6 months experience from previous employer. so my experience is reduced to 20 months from 2 year. so to qualify in first fsw 67 points. i am getting only 66. to gain points points from relative i have to tell them to send necessary documents asap to make my EE profile.

Mar 9, 2016
Hi Seniors,

I am having a query related to Proof of Relationship.
My wife's maternal aunt is in Ontario to prove the relationship we just have the following documents:-
My wife's Passport with name of her mother
My mother in law's passport with name of her mother & father
My Wife's maternal aunt is having only canadian passport (Parent's name not mentioned on it)
Marriage Certificate having only her father's name.
Matric Certificate having only her father's name.
Would these documents (Marriage Certificate & Matriculation) suffice the purpose of establishing relationship.

Kindly help to clarify on the above matter.

Remxyj25

May 12, 2017
Proof of Relatives in Canada

We r aware that we can get Five [5] additional points on a/c of "adaptability" if having "relatives" in Canada. But, many a times, while having a 'bonafide' relative residing here, we yet shortcut the paperwork [for whatever reasons] - and get into trouble... either those 5 points r not awarded, or we go into delays due to repeated queries from the VO. Here's what we should understand & do:

Who r the Acceptable Relatives?
Proof of relationship showing u, or your accompanying spouse/common-law partner has a close relative who lives in Canada and is a Canadian Citizen or PR. This close relative can be:
• parent, grandparent,
• child, grandchild,
• brother, sister,
• aunt, uncle, or
• niece, nephew.

Proof of "Relationship"
Having one of the above, we now must submit adequate docs to "show" the 'proof of relative' if we want to seriously get those points, which might sometimes 'make' or 'break' our case. This "Proof" is required in Three (3) Steps. Here's how u go about it:

1. BASIC EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP:
Proof of relationship to your close relative in Canada can be evident by docs, such as (A)birth, (B)marriage or (C)adoption certificates. For eg, to prove that your relative in Canada is your paternal aunt, it would be necessary to submit copies of birth certificates for her and for your father showing they have at least one common parent.

2. WHAT DOCUMENTS NEEDED AS PROOF?
• If s/he is a PR: provide a copy of Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or CPR [COPR] or PR Card.
• If s/he is a Citizen: provide Citizenship proof, such as a copy of Canadian passport or Citizenship card.

3. HOW TO PROVE RELATIVE IS 'CURRENTLY INSIDE' CANADA?
Provide evidence to show that your relative is currently residing inside Canada. This may include copies of:
• Lease agreements [Rental Contracts],
• A current Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada,
• An Employer's Letter confirming employment,
• Monthly Utility Bills [Telephone, Mobile, Cable, Gas etc.].

Note:
- The evidence should show the relative's "name" and "full address" in Canada.
- Source:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/skilled/factor-adaptability.asp

I hope that helped.

Qorax
Ps: U can show the High School Certificate in lieu of Birth Certificate [usually the 10th Grade diploma].
My case is very heart breaking, on getting my ITA last month, I realized that my cousin who lived in Canada declared herself as my aunty while filling my form as the accompany spouse. Now all the documents we have can also prove she's my cousin not my aunt. Don't know what to do.

Din1431

Apr 13, 2017
Hi Qorax,

My spouse got a relative (maternal uncle) in Canada who is a citizen but it will be difficult to provide consistent supporting documents to prove the relationship as there are mismatch of my spouse's mother actual names/birth dates in her national ID and the name and birth date uncle put in his application/EOI.

EOI asks if spouse has any relative in Canada. Can I put 'No' just to avoid potential problems in getting visa? PS. I don't need 5 points for adaptability.

Appreciate your help.

anisuzzaman

Sep 22, 2016
Hi Qorax,

Thanks for your information. Me and my wife both are planning to apply. Now the Close relative "Uncle" from my wife's side.

Can me and my wife both declare him as our close relative?

Thanks
Anisuzzaman

madhueck

Aug 1, 2017
Hi, I have a bit troubling situation. I submitted for ITA and received my AOR on 10th July (ITA received for CRS of 496) .
But recently I got to know that the 15 points which I claimed for a sibling in Canada seems unacceptable since the sibling I mentioned was actually my cousin (I misapprehended the term sibling since it said related by blood, my fault). I did not know the new definition given at the July 6th update at the time of application. However, my aunt (mother's sister) is also a permanent resident in Canada who is sponsored under her son (my cousin whom I mentioned in the PR application since he had good income records). I mentioned the PR status of my aunt too in a letter under relative proof.

However my CRS score without the points for sibling in Canada is also in a good standing as 496-15 (481) which was way above the cut off score (Draw #66 - 449) during the ITA draw which I received letter.
Would my PR application be rejected directly? Or can I send a case specific inquiry mentioning the situation and attaching my Aunt as the relative instead of cousin and asking them consider processing the application reducing the 15 points? The current status of my application is medicals passed and BG Check (IP 1).

Mitchyzinc

Dec 23, 2016
UAE
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Dear All,

I will land this october and do my PR activation then settle for good in Canada.

Question:

can my sibling claim points as soon as I land there?

anju355

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2017
AOR Received.
02-04-2018
File Transfer...
12-07-2018
Hi,

I got black & white scanned copy of "certificate of Canadian citizenship" from my uncle. Please can anyone confirm if its acceptable or not?

Thanks

reachforjay

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hi All,

Hopefully this is in the right place. My step-dad (who is legally married to my mum), has brothers and sisters living in Canada. Would they qualify as aunts and uncles for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Hopefully this is in the right place. My step-dad (who is legally married to my mum), has brothers and sisters living in Canada. Would they qualify as aunts and uncles for me?
You're asking for FSW points to reach 67 - not about CRS points - is that right?

sana.s

Jan 13, 2018
Hi Qorax,

My spouse got a relative (maternal uncle) in Canada who is a citizen but it will be difficult to provide consistent supporting documents to prove the relationship as there are mismatch of my spouse's mother actual names/birth dates in her national ID and the name and birth date uncle put in his application/EOI.

EOI asks if spouse has any relative in Canada. Can I put 'No' just to avoid potential problems in getting visa? PS. I don't need 5 points for adaptability.

Appreciate your help.
Hi, I am going through the same problem atm...did you do 'No' in your application?....did it cause any trouble later on

liezlvinci8

Jan 29, 2018
For documents needed in application, will submitting just the front portion of the citizenship of my relative in canada be a reason for rejection upon application??

Thanks in advance.

nito123

Jul 1, 2017
Hello moderators, quick question please. Is bank statement a sufficient proof that my relative lives in Canada?
Does the balance in the account, or how active the bank account matters?
Thank you for helping.