+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship - Steam/digital gift history?

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
I'd like to add our Steam gift history down the road but I don't want them to think I'm making stuff up.

Our account names aren't our real names, obviously, and can be changed whenever wherever. So it would be difficult to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the gifts are between the two of us. It could also be hard to explain to some people what it is that we're trying to show them.

Have any of you here sent in a gift history from Steam? Some other digital games store? Maybe even a gift history for digital goods? Did they accept it? How did you explain it?

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I think you could probably just send in a letter of explanation. I did buy my hubby a steam game recently but I just sent in a screenshot of our chat log where I told him that I bought him the game. (I had the day off from work and he was at work). So I had a screenshot of the game in his steam library and his reaction to the image in the chat log.

Reactions: Samantha F

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
I think you could probably just send in a letter of explanation. I did buy my hubby a steam game recently but I just sent in a screenshot of our chat log where I told him that I bought him the game. (I had the day off from work and he was at work). So I had a screenshot of the game in his steam library and his reaction to the image in the chat log.
Yeah, we did put in the application something to the effect of "due to the digital nature of our relationship, there are many gifts that we have sent each other that we simply don't have receipts for." Which is true, for all the steam gifts and whatnot there are a lot of gifts that don't have a monetary value. (I once spent six months, farming for a minimum of 4 hours a day on a gift for Christmas, for instance!) Maybe I'm looking too much into it and they would be fine with the steam gift history, and just an explanation of our profile names.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I completely understand the paranoia. If they need more clarification, they will ask for it. Otherwise I think the letter of explanation should be enough.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
I completely understand the paranoia. If they need more clarification, they will ask for it. Otherwise I think the letter of explanation should be enough.
Thanks, I'll have to type up a letter of explanation and add in the steam gift logs when I get my AOR and can link my account. I didn't want to add it at first because I didn't think they would "get it". But now that I've re-send the application without it I kinda regret it. :/

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Think quality over quantity when proving the relationship. Will gifts of $30-60 games prove that there is a strong relationship? Do you have other, stronger proof you're so including? You may not need to worry about including this at all as it's rather weak - unless we are talking thousands of dollars.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Think quality over quantity when proving the relationship. Will gifts of $30-60 games prove that there is a strong relationship? Do you have other, stronger proof you're so including? You may not need to worry about including this at all as it's rather weak - unless we are talking thousands of dollars.
Well, the problem is so many of the gifts that we have given each other have no monetary value, and we don't have receipt for them. Every birthday, Christmas, and Valentine's day for instance, I would send him a box full of home-made baked goods. There's no receipt for something like that. Or for all of the digital gifts we gave each other while inside of the games, those have no receipts. But if I were to total the monetary value of the games and digital gifts, it would nearly be $900 or so USD over the years.

We included things like the 20 photos of course, and all seven of the booking e-mails from Air Canada from when we visited each other.

I could be overthinking things, as our application didn't even ask for proof via gift receipts. Just things like insurance benefits, (we have his current benefits, and I had a life insurance policy on myself with him as the sole beneficiary before our marriage - when I worked in the U.S) proof that the relationship is recognized by friends and family, (hard, since we have no social media presence really), and "financial support". We do have shared expenses, in the form of our cat, cell phone bills, electricity, etc.

I'd just like to add in as much as I can.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
I suppose we could have also included our chat logs... but 11 years of chat logs seemed like it would've been WAY too much to send. :/

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I suppose we could have also included our chat logs... but 11 years of chat logs seemed like it would've been WAY too much to send. :/
You're married. Do you live together or is it an outland application?

Proof of contact is only needed for some applications where the couple does not live together.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
You're married. Do you live together or is it an outland application?

Proof of contact is only needed for some applications where the couple does not live together.
We've been living together since late September, we got married mid-October. I just worry that, while we sent what we could based on what the application asked for. We have so much more that it didn't request and I'm worried that without all that info (11 years of chat logs, including timestamps showing daily 4-6 hour long voip calls, text messages, etc.) our relationship won't seem genuine. Especially to people who are on guard and looking for something wrong.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Okay, sorry - I'm a little confused and I'm piecing things together because I haven't yet gone back and read your post history to understand the backstory.

Have you submitted already? You had the application returned due to a missing signature. So have you re-submitted?

Waaay back in February you posted an example of stuff you were going to send based on one question on the checklist, and you asked if you should send more. Someone told you that you had enough proof of stuff in the first category, so there wasn't much need to send much based on the other category (the "no" to the question). At most, you were advised to send only a small selection.

You are married and you live together. You do not need to go about sending a large amount - if any - documentation that is called for under the "no cohabitation" because you are cohabitating. Your relationship is genuine. Unless you think there are solid reasons why a visa officer would think it's not, then you don't need to worry.

What are solid reasons that a relationship may not be genuine? Things like:

- It's a second or third marriage to someone you are sponsoring
- You had never, ever met in person, married within a few days of first meeting, and you have not cohabitated since the marriage
- Your culture historically has elaborate, long, traditional weddings and you have not, opting instead for a civil marriage at a marriage registry
- Your husband has been refused eighty-seven times for other Canadian visas and is now married to you, and has applied facing a deportation order.
- The relationship started in May, you first met in-person in September, and married in October.,

From something you wrote above, I take it your relationship started online. That isn't a red flag. So did mine. Visa officers get that people meet online. Where the red flag comes in is if you did not ever meet in person until the day you got married, and then you left your husband in his home country only to come home and sponsor him. That's not what you've done. While an online relationship may raise an eyebrow, it will not raise a red flag, especially if you are married, families attended the wedding, and can write letters supporting your marriage.

You've named him on insurance, and vice versa. You share expenses. You have a cat. That's all good.

Do not go weighing down your application package with hundreds of pages of things that aren't super strong proof of anything - especially if it's something you do not need to provide, like chat logs for a marriage where you cohabitate with your husband! Remember, some poor visa officer has to read the brick of paperwork you're sending in. The more you send them that is irrelevant, the longer their review of your file takes.

If a visa officer has minor doubts to the genuineness of your relationship, you'll receive a request to submit more information. In that case, you send in things like the chat log and gifts. If the visa officer has serious doubts about your relationship, you'll receive a procedural fairness letter. In that case, you send absolutely everything you can think of bar nothing and you have all your friends each write a letter testifying to the relationship.

But if you're married, and you cohabitate, you do not need to send in proof from the list of things you can send if you do not cohabitate. If you really, really want to, send in things that are strong proof, high-quality proof. Airplane tickets, records of phone calls, etc. I just think you're overthinking and over-panicking about documents your checklist says you do not need to send.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Okay, sorry - I'm a little confused and I'm piecing things together because I haven't yet gone back and read your post history to understand the backstory.

Have you submitted already? You had the application returned due to a missing signature. So have you re-submitted?

Waaay back in February you posted an example of stuff you were going to send based on one question on the checklist, and you asked if you should send more. Someone told you that you had enough proof of stuff in the first category, so there wasn't much need to send much based on the other category (the "no" to the question). At most, you were advised to send only a small selection.

You are married and you live together. You do not need to go about sending a large amount - if any - documentation that is called for under the "no cohabitation" because you are cohabitating. Your relationship is genuine. Unless you think there are solid reasons why a visa officer would think it's not, then you don't need to worry.

What are solid reasons that a relationship may not be genuine? Things like:

- It's a second or third marriage to someone you are sponsoring
- You had never, ever met in person, married within a few days of first meeting, and you have not cohabitated since the marriage
- Your culture historically has elaborate, long, traditional weddings and you have not, opting instead for a civil marriage at a marriage registry
- Your husband has been refused eighty-seven times for other Canadian visas and is now married to you, and has applied facing a deportation order.
- The relationship started in May, you first met in-person in September, and married in October.,

From something you wrote above, I take it your relationship started online. That isn't a red flag. So did mine. Visa officers get that people meet online. Where the red flag comes in is if you did not ever meet in person until the day you got married, and then you left your husband in his home country only to come home and sponsor him. That's not what you've done. While an online relationship may raise an eyebrow, it will not raise a red flag, especially if you are married, families attended the wedding, and can write letters supporting your marriage.

You've named him on insurance, and vice versa. You share expenses. You have a cat. That's all good.

Do not go weighing down your application package with hundreds of pages of things that aren't super strong proof of anything - especially if it's something you do not need to provide, like chat logs for a marriage where you cohabitate with your husband! Remember, some poor visa officer has to read the brick of paperwork you're sending in. The more you send them that is irrelevant, the longer their review of your file takes.

If a visa officer has minor doubts to the genuineness of your relationship, you'll receive a request to submit more information. In that case, you send in things like the chat log and gifts. If the visa officer has serious doubts about your relationship, you'll receive a procedural fairness letter. In that case, you send absolutely everything you can think of bar nothing and you have all your friends each write a letter testifying to the relationship.

But if you're married, and you cohabitate, you do not need to send in proof from the list of things you can send if you do not cohabitate. If you really, really want to, send in things that are strong proof, high-quality proof. Airplane tickets, records of phone calls, etc. I just think you're overthinking and over-panicking about documents your checklist says you do not need to send.
Yes, we are married and live together. It took a while for us to get all of our paperwork together, and we ended up applying first in late March. Then it was returned, and we sent it out again this morning after we updated everything.

Thanks a lot you've eased my worries. I'm glad to hear that they'll at least ask for more information before they decide we don't seem genuine. I don't know why, but I thought that I wouldn't get the opportunity to send more proof if they decided they didn't like what we sent. I was just really worried that we wouldn't seem genuine somehow and get shot down, despite us having a lot more evidence that we didn't include.

I guess I'm just overly anxious because the application came back. :/

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes, we are married and live together. It took a while for us to get all of our paperwork together, and we ended up applying first in late March. Then it was returned, and we sent it out again this morning after we updated everything.

Thanks a lot you've eased my worries. I'm glad to hear that they'll at least ask for more information before they decide we don't seem genuine. I don't know why, but I thought that I wouldn't get the opportunity to send more proof if they decided they didn't like what we sent. I was just really worried that we wouldn't seem genuine somehow and get shot down, despite us having a lot more evidence that we didn't include.

I guess I'm just overly anxious because the application came back. :/
Provided that you don't fit into a category where the relationship strongly looks suspect, you won't get any questions on the genuineness of it. If you do, they are obligated to either request for more info - if there are no other reasons to have doubts about the application - or warn you that they will refuse the application unless they are wrong (procedural fairness letter).

I think you're going to be okay.

LinkinMark

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Yes if you followed the checklist and gave them good proof for everything they were asking for, then you will be fine.
And like it's been said, if they need more, they'll ask for it