+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Returned - Need clarification

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Inland Sponsorship Application.
Sorry to bother you guys - my application was returned due to a missing signature. I've called CIC three times but I'm still a bit confused. When we re-submit our application, do we need to include the letter that they sent it back with? When I called CIC they just told me to "Follow the instructions on the letter."

The problem is, there aren't any instructions aside from: "If you want to resubmit your application to be considered for processing, you must address the missing requirements which have been highlighted on the Document Checklist." Then on the next page they have a green sheet of paper that has highlighted "Not signed by: Principle Applicant". And of course, they highlighted that part on my document checklist.

Reasonably, I would assume that I wouldn't need to include the letter, as they don't explicitly say that I need to do so in the letter itself. But that misunderstanding is what got me into this mess in the first place with form IMM 5669.

TL;DR: Do I include the letter they sent me when I re-submit the application, or not? I don't want to include it and have them return my application for some reason like "The Document Checklist needs to be the cover letter!" But I also don't want to NOT include it and have them send it back because I didn't include it.

Shehzad.P

May 2, 2019
Inland Sponsorship Application.
Sorry to bother you guys - my application was returned due to a missing signature. I've called CIC three times but I'm still a bit confused. When we re-submit our application, do we need to include the letter that they sent it back with? Both times I called CIC they just told me to "Follow the instructions on the letter."

The problem is, there aren't any instructions aside from: "If you want to resubmit your application to be considered for processing, you must address the missing requirements which have been highlighted on the Document Checklist." Then on the next page they have a green sheet of paper that has highlighted "Not signed by: Principle Applicant". And of course, they highlighted that part on my document checklist.

Reasonably, I would assume that I wouldn't need to include the letter, as they don't explicitly say that I need to do so in the letter itself. But that misunderstanding is what got me into this mess in the first place with form IMM 5669.

TL;DR: Do I include the letter they sent me when I re-submit the application, or not? I don't want to include it and have them return my application for some reason like "The Document Checklist needs to be the cover letter!" But I also don't want to NOT include it and have them send it back because I didn't include it.
your re-submission shall be counted as a complete new application; thus only follow the instructions on Doc Checklist and no need to include the letter.
ensure that you're using all the current forms and checklist as it was updated in April.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
your re-submission shall be counted as a complete new application; thus only follow the instructions on Doc Checklist and no need to include the letter.
ensure that you're using all the current forms and checklist as it was updated in April.
Thank you, it was updated in April?! My letter says it was updated February 2018. Oh god now I have a whole new problem...

Shehzad.P

May 2, 2019
Thank you, it was updated in April?! My letter says it was updated February 2018. Oh god now I have a whole new problem...
The checklist was updated in April with a new address for inland applications. just make sure you use the latest checklist.

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
The checklist was updated in April with a new address for inland applications. just make sure you use the latest checklist.
We submitted our application in March, but because of how long it took us to get everything together, we actually need to update IMM 0008, and IMM 5532 as well, they updated in Fenbruary 2019. :/ It seems like we need to re-do so many things it's actually kind of overwhelming. I'm a tad annoyed, I know of someone who neglected to sign on the exact same spot and they were accepted anyway...

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
I don't mean to bump the thread, but - can anyone else confirm that I will need to re-print the forms as they have been updated since the time we submitted our application?

When I called CIC three times and asked them several questions, one of the questions was "Do I need to re-print the document checklist" and the answer was "no" unanimously. (They might not have remembered about the update, though.) I was told to just "Follow the instructions on the letter and send it back." Which caused me to ask my initial question.

I'll call them again tomorrow, but it would ease our nerves a lot if I could get others to weigh in on this. As it stands now, if I have re-print the checklist to update it, then I'll have to re-print out two other forms as well. It doesn't seem right for them to insist to me to just "follow the directions on the letter." Only to inevitably send it back AGAIN over un-updated forms...I even asked them "Is this the only thing wrong with the forms? Like, if I send it back as-is, they won't find something else wrong with it? They went through the whole thing?" and they confirmed that they did.

Zambezi

Star Member
Dec 10, 2018
When resubmitting after an application has been returned it is as if it is a new application in the eyes of IRCC. So you need to update all forms to the current version, otherwise it will likely be returned again for out of date forms.

Reactions: Samantha F

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
When resubmitting after an application has been returned it is as if it is a new application in the eyes of IRCC. So you need to update all forms to the current version, otherwise it will likely be returned again for out of date forms.
Maybe the call center people forgot then? The letter that they sent to us talks about how we should use the checklist from "February 14th, 2018". It's really concerning how they haven't changed that, either. If you guys didn't warn us they would've set us up for another return.