+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship. Please help.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Hello guys, I have a question regarding government-issued documents as a proof of relationship. When I changed my address on the service card they just put a sticker on it (so no date change can be proved). I can submit that but I have doubts.
I have MSP bills for over a year with dates and address on it, is it good enough?
Thank you.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Oh, I am sorry. MSP bill is a health insurance invoice (the document issued by the BC government, confirming that I paid mandatory insurance fees).
I am providing screenshots of E-transfers as a proof of financial support, screenshot that my name is on Hydro account and I am a spouse, credit(debit )card statements, showing the same address, social media info, letters from his mom and our friends and I am waiting to submit Notice of Assessment for Taxes, so once we get that we will send the application.
I might forget to mention a few things we are submitting.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys, I have a question regarding government-issued documents as a proof of relationship. When I changed my address on the service card they just put a sticker on it (so no date change can be proved). I can submit that but I have doubts.
I have MSP bills for over a year with dates and address on it, is it good enough?
Thank you.
Your service card and MSP bills are not relationship proofs. Are you talking about common-law proofs?

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oh, I am sorry. MSP bill is a health insurance invoice (the document issued by the BC government, confirming that I paid mandatory insurance fees).
I am providing screenshots of E-transfers as a proof of financial support, screenshot that my name is on Hydro account and I am a spouse, credit(debit )card statements, showing the same address, social media info, letters from his mom and our friends and I am waiting to submit Notice of Assessment for Taxes, so once we get that we will send the application.
I might forget to mention a few things we are submitting.

I am assuming you are doing this inland not outland, correct? How long have you been married and were either of you married previously? This has to do with the amount of proof you will need typically.

You said E-transfers for financial proof.... Is that saying someone sends you money or you send someone money? Are either of you working?

I don't actually believe the health insurance invoice will be taken. For proof of address, they will care more about bank statements, water, electric, taxes, credit cards (which you have most of those, so I would just leave out the MSP)

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Your MSP card with the sticker on it is fine. It is an official, government issued ID and that is how they do address changes in BC. But I agree that submitting the bills with the address isn't exactly part of the proof they ask for. I don't think it'll hurt but if you have other bills, that's more important. And if you're worried about the ID, don't be. IRCC knows that this is how BC issues address changes.

Reactions: Anna007

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
I am assuming you are doing this inland not outland, correct? How long have you been married and were either of you married previously? This has to do with the amount of proof you will need typically.

You said E-transfers for financial proof.... Is that saying someone sends you money or you send someone money? Are either of you working?

I don't actually believe the health insurance invoice will be taken. For proof of address, they will care more about bank statements, water, electric, taxes, credit cards (which you have most of those, so I would just leave out the MSP)
We are applying under Common-Law, none of us was previously married. If MSP bill is not good enough I’m not even sure what I can show. I’ve been here in Canada for more than 3 years so all government documents were issued a while ago and all the address changes are done online . Wondering what other people are showing under Government issued documents...?
We also have a small problem, my partner owns a place so we don’t have any rental agreements or anything like that. I’m sending him some money (Etransfers) so he can pay out the mortgage for his second house.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Your MSP card with the sticker on it is fine. It is an official, government issued ID and that is how they do address changes in BC. But I agree that submitting the bills with the address isn't exactly part of the proof they ask for. I don't think it'll hurt but if you have other bills, that's more important. And if you're worried about the ID, don't be. IRCC knows that this is how BC issues address changes.
Thank you! We’re on a last stage of getting all the documents so getting a little paranoid. Thank you so much for your reply!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are applying under Common-Law, none of us was previously married. If MSP bill is not good enough I’m not even sure what I can show. I’ve been here in Canada for more than 3 years so all government documents were issued a while ago and all the address changes are done online . Wondering what other people are showing under Government issued documents...?
We also have a small problem, my partner owns a place so we don’t have any rental agreements or anything like that. I’m sending him some money (Etransfers) so he can pay out the mortgage for his second house.
The MSP bills count as mail proof.

What common-law proofs do you actually have? Provide a full list.

Reactions: Anna007

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
MSP bills for 12 consecutive months (only mine), as well as Service Card card with a sticker on it and my partner’s Service Card card with the right address
Credit/Debit card statements from both of us for 12 consecutive months
E-Transfer receipts with our names and dates on it (5 of them, the first one is from 12 months ago).
Letters from family/friend
Pay Slips for 14 consecutive months
The document that he owns a place (sorry, not sure about the name of it)
Travel tickets with the same dates and AirBnB under both names from 4 months ago.
The letter from Revenue Canada under my name from 9 months back
The screenshot of our Hydro account where it’s stated that I have an access to it and another one where I’m stated as a spouse (it’s still under his name though)
20 pictures
We’re waiting for next year Notice of Assessment where we will specify each other as spouses and that’s probably it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MSP bills for 12 consecutive months (only mine), as well as Service Card card with a sticker on it and my partner’s Service Card card with the right address
Credit/Debit card statements from both of us for 12 consecutive months
E-Transfer receipts with our names and dates on it (5 of them, the first one is from 12 months ago).
Letters from family/friend
Pay Slips for 14 consecutive months
The document that he owns a place (sorry, not sure about the name of it)
Travel tickets with the same dates and AirBnB under both names from 4 months ago.
The letter from Revenue Canada under my name from 9 months back
The screenshot of our Hydro account where it’s stated that I have an access to it and another one where I’m stated as a spouse (it’s still under his name though)
20 pictures
We’re waiting for next year Notice of Assessment where we will specify each other as spouses and that’s probably it.
Your list looks fine. As long as the address proofs cover at least a full year, it's good. Don't submit all of the statements. Just include every 3rd or 4th statement, ensuring at least one year of coverage.