+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship not living together

MJ45K

Feb 2, 2017
There are a set of 6 choices that we can select 3 with one document from each sets.
After i marry my husband i will go back to Canada limiting our time together from 2 to 4 weeks as a married couple. This would not make us provide any documents besides other proof of relationship recongnized by our friends and family.
What can we do to provide the remaining 2 set of documents?

Cdnpr2017

Dec 31, 2016
MJ45K said:
There are a set of 6 choices that we can select 3 with one document from each sets.
After i marry my husband i will go back to Canada limiting our time together from 2 to 4 weeks as a married couple. This would not make us provide any documents besides other proof of relationship recongnized by our friends and family.
What can we do to provide the remaining 2 set of documents?
Good morning,

I am in the same situation. We don't not live together or own any property together. I live in the USA and my fiancé lives in Canada. We are going to get notarized letters from our parents on both sides of the family, print out of our face book statues after we are married (this will prove people know about our relationship. We also went out and opened up a joint bank account! So we have 2 out of 3. I have no clue how I will provide the third option so I think I am going to attach a letter stating why we can't provide a third piece of evidence. Not everyone who doesn't live together will be able to provide these things.

MiaMartin333

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
File Transfer...
30-06-2017
Med's Request
25-04-2017
Med's Done....
10-05-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2017
LANDED..........
25-11-2017
Hello! I am in a similar situation. I called immigration and asked them what should be done in these kinds of situations, and they told me that I should attach any documents I have proving our relationship (even if they are not listed as part of the 6) and explain in a separate letter why I could not provide them with the rest. Good luck!

Pontianak

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
Throwing this out there...

copies of receipts of travel to see each other like plane tickets, hotel receipts, facebook posts, phone logs, chat logs, joint accounts, have children together? Ultrasounds! Photos of you together!

Just a small example of things you can use. If you have a real relationship, there should be a trail.

Nyhiraba

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 23, 2015
File Transfer...
Nov 10, 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015, redone Nov 9, 2016
Interview........
Nov 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 21, 2016
LANDED..........
March 14, 2017
You may want to read pages 19-22 of this operation manual to see what they look for in a marriage: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

A marriage is a legalized conjugal relationship. Your proof of genuineness of the marriage must hit these highlights. Below is the quote from the operation manual:

The following list is a set of elements which, when taken together or in various combinations, may
constitute evidence of interdependency. It should be kept in mind that these elements may be
present in varying degrees and not all are necessary for a relationship to be considered conjugal.

Financial aspects of the relationship
 Joint loan agreements for real estate, cars, major household appliances;
 Joint ownership of property, other durable goods;
 Operation of joint bank accounts, joint credit cards evidence that any such accounts have existed for a reasonable period of time;
 The extent of any pooling of financial resources, especially in relation to major financial commitments;
 Whether one party owes any legal obligation in respect of the other.

Social aspects of the relationship
 Evidence that the relationship has been declared to government bodies and commercial or public institutions or authorities and acceptance of such declarations by any such bodies;
 Joint membership in organisations or groups, joint participation in sporting, cultural, social or other activities;
 Joint travel;
 Shared values with respect to how a household should be managed;
 Shared responsibility for children; shared values with respect to child-rearing; willingness to care for the partner’s children;
 Testimonials by parents, family members, relatives or friends and other interested parties about the nature of the relationship and whether the couple present themselves to others as partners.
Statements in the form of statutory declarations are preferred.

Physical and emotional aspects of the relationship -the degree of commitment as evidenced by:
 Knowledge of each other’s personal circumstances, background and family situation;
 Shared values and interests;
 Expressed intention that the relationship will be long term;
 The extent to which the parties have combined their affairs, for example, are they beneficiaries of one another’s insurance plans, pensions, etc.?
 Joint decision-making with consequences for one partner affecting the other;
 Support for each other when ill and on special occasions letters, cards, gifts, time off work to care for other;
 The terms of the parties’ wills made out in each other’s favour provide some evidence of an intention that the relationship is long term and permanent;
 Time spent together;
 Time spent with one another’s families;
 Regular and continuous communication when apart.

Examples of supporting documents:
 Family memberships, medical plans, documentation from institutions that provides recognition as a couple;
 Marriage certificate (not just a solemnization record), wedding invitations, commitment ceremony (certificate, invitations), domestic partnership certificate;
 joint ownership of possessions, joint utility bills, lease/rental agreement, joint mortgage/loan, property title, joint bank statements; money transfers.
 documents showing travel together, long distance phone bills; other proof of continuous communication (emails, internet chat site printouts, letters).
 insurance policies (documents naming the partner as a beneficiary), wills, powers of attorney;
 significant photographs;
 statements of support from families, bank manager, employers, financial professionals, religious leaders, community leaders, professors, teachers or medical professionals.

The above elements may be present in varying degrees and not all are necessary for a relationship to be considered conjugal. Whether an element is present may depend on the culture or preferences of the couple. For example, in some cultures, women have a limited role in the management of the family finances; thus there may not be joint ownership of property or joint bank accounts. Some couples may choose to keep aspects of their financial affairs separate and yet are clearly in a conjugal relationship and have merged their affairs in other respects.

Officers should consider each relationship individually and take into account any other relevant information provided by the applicant (or information otherwise available to the officer), in order to assess whether a conjugal relationship exists.

Officers should also take into account to what extent the laws and/or traditions of the applicant’s home country may discourage the parties from openly admitting the existence of the relationship.