+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship for common-law (lack of evidence)

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
If it will take awhile to get a replacement, I would include an explanation that you have applied for it and will send it in as soon as you receive it.

If it doesn't take too long to get the replacement, then just hold off until you get it and include it in the app.
Thanks so much, this did not even come to my mind. Lastly, I wanna ask if it would be a good idea to have someone look over the package I made so far? My girlfriend is a student at U of T and she might get some free help.

To me, everything looks good honestly, so im not even sure if it is worth spending time looking for an expert.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks so much, this did not even come to my mind. Lastly, I wanna ask if it would be a good idea to have someone look over the package I made so far? My girlfriend is a student at U of T and she might get some free help.

To me, everything looks good honestly, so im not even sure if it is worth spending time looking for an expert.
Up to you. Most people do it all on their own, while some find it beneficial to have some look it over. To be honest, I have seen so many people on this forum screwed over by the "help" of consultants/lawyers/etc., I would never advise it but that it my opinion.

Reactions: sarkhan9229

geografa

Apr 30, 2017

I wouldn't necessarily recommend paying someone to look over it- but perhaps having a detail-oriented, organized person cross-check what you have with the checklist, signature requirements etc.
Weird things happen to our brains when we spend so much time on the same task eg. this application. I swear, we looked over our application 30 times and STILL somehow misunderstood that my partner needed to include a copy of his birth certificate in addition to the passport pages: we had ours sent back the first time and it was agonizing to realize why.
Maybe someone with fresh eyes can catch seemingly obvious errors that get missed when you are trying to keep on top of everything. I don't think it can hurt to solicit the help of someone you know who might be able to do that for you!

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks so much for the advice guys!
I am still wondering whether I have to get my national identity document and birth certificate translated and notarized. I looked over the complete guide and they just say that I need to provide copies.
If I have to get them translated to english and notarized, does it have to be done in Azerbaijan? If yes then that sucks because I will have to wait a lot again since mailing them to canada will take a while :(

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Also, do you guys know how long it takes for them to determine if I am eligible for PR? (after I send the package)

Im asking this because I am also applying for OHIP and this is their requirement.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks so much for the advice guys!
I am still wondering whether I have to get my national identity document and birth certificate translated and notarized. I looked over the complete guide and they just say that I need to provide copies.
If I have to get them translated to english and notarized, does it have to be done in Azerbaijan? If yes then that sucks because I will have to wait a lot again since mailing them to canada will take a while :(
The guide clearly states that documents not in English or French must be formally translated. If they were in English, you would only need to send copies. You can have them translated anywhere.

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Guys, for organizing the package, I understand that the documents I am sending have to be in the same order as shown on the checklist. That said, I am wondering if there is anything else I should do to make it more organized.

thanks!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Guys, for organizing the package, I understand that the documents I am sending have to be in the same order as shown on the checklist. That said, I am wondering if there is anything else I should do to make it more organized.

thanks!
Follow the checklist. That's it.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Anyone please?
As has been said before and below. Follow te checklist and go in that order.

A tip..the photos you are sending (the 20 for proof and the PR ones) put them in an envelope the same size as your application (A4) It lowers the chances of a small envelope going missing or falling loose. Label the envelope what is inside.

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you guys.

I am just about to submit everything but going a little bit crazy. I just wanna make sure that we are eligible to apply for my PR.

We have lived together in a marriage-like relationship since Oct, 2016, which means that it has been more than 1 year. According to their definition, we have entered into common-law relationship 1 year after, Oct, 2017.

Guys, does the minimum of 12 consecutive months start from the date we have lived together or entered into common-law? Have I misinterpreted anything?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Thank you guys.

I am just about to submit everything but going a little bit crazy. I just wanna make sure that we are eligible to apply for my PR.

We have lived together in a marriage-like relationship since Oct, 2016, which means that it has been more than 1 year. According to their definition, we have entered into common-law relationship 1 year after, Oct, 2017.

Guys, does the minimum of 12 consecutive months start from the date we have lived together or entered into common-law? Have I misinterpreted anything?
You are common law if you have lived together for one yea continuosly. If you moved in together Oct 2016 you became common law in Oct 2017 - as long as you lived together continuously for that year.

maicha

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
SK
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
Feb 2017
Doc's Request.
June 2017
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
AOR Received.
April 2017
Med's Request
February 28 2018/ March 12 2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018/ May 17, 2018 PASSED
Passport Req..
01-06-2018
Guys need help if you dont mind
In form IMM1344 Application to sponsor,Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking, should my Wife declare that we are previously under common-law since we are living here together before we get married?
But the thing is, we applied for common-law sponsorship before but they cic refused my application because lacked of proof like the Residential Addresses on some of our accounts like bank (I forgot to change the address when we live in).
And now that we are married, we're applying for Spousal Sponsorship.

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hey guys,
My application was delivered to IRCC on March 5, 2018. It has been about 11 days that I have received no response from them (no mail, no email). On the webpage about processing, they say that they have last updated (i dont know what this update means) on march 4.

What is going on? I also typed in my info on the online processing tool and nothing comes up.

thank you

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hey guys,
My application was delivered to IRCC on March 5, 2018. It has been about 11 days that I have received no response from them (no mail, no email). On the webpage about processing, they say that they have last updated (i dont know what this update means) on march 4.

What is going on? I also typed in my info on the online processing tool and nothing comes up.

thank you
It takes 6 to 8 weeks to receive acknowledgment of receipt, you're way too early to hear anything