+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship for common-law (lack of evidence)

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hello everyone,

I am almost finishing the application (collected more/better proof since last time) but have only one question remaining:

All applicants must also provide the following:
Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.

1. We have no documentary evidence, phone bills are paid separately, she does not pay rent (it is her mom's apartment), we get groceries together (I have receipts saved from costco) and we both pay when we dine outside (I have a transaction history that lists this one japanese ramen place that we go to many times), and we sometimes send each other money (interac e-transfer) that I have the records for.
Would any of what I said above work as documentary evidence or shared expenses? How can I make this look more legit?
What else counts as evidence of financial support that I am missing? We also have a joint bank account that we opened in may of 2017, but we don't really use that card a lot.

2)
If the first option does not seem good enough to be submitted as documentary evidence, how should I write them an explanation letter effectively stating as to why I cant provide what they want? (doc. evidence)

Thanks so much in advance!
I wouldn't include the restaurant receipts...they aren't really going to show anything.

Some things you may not have thought of that could possibly show the "money" relationship between you and your partner;

- Costco membership (yep really!)
- Joint gym membership (we have a joint membership which my partner has always paid for with his credit card). The gym owner is actually a friend of ours so he wrote confirming the membership from my partners account and that he knew us as a couple..i know that that is a unique situation though!
- A joint credit card? Or are one of you an authorized user on the others card?
- CRA (or other tax) documents showing you as common law/married (i included our tax summary sheets for the past 4 years or so...im named on his, he is named on mine as common law partner)
- E-transfers between you both
- Did one of you pay for a trip that you have booking confirmation for showing both your names as "guests"
- Does one of you pay something for the other?

We dont have insurances with the other named as beneficiary nor do we have utility bills (our rent is all inclusive) so the finances part was tricky for us too.

Do you have a joint bank account?

Give what you can and anything you cant, you can put in an explanation sheet. You can only give what you've got!

Reactions: sarkhan9229

Danielle Reade

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
I didn't have any joint bank account, bills, insurance policies, etc. All I had was a rental agreement, cell phone bill, and affidavits. There is an option to explain and provide other sufficient proof. I did that. I just gave them everything I had possible, a lot of pictures and letters, and personal shared items. They just want to know you two love each other and will do whatever it takes. Good luck!

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks so much for the info guys. I just have one last question pertaining "If you are not working in Canada [relating to sponsor], provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper."

She (the sponsor) does not have an official job at the moment since she is still in school, but she does make some money through kijiji (she gets customers online and helps them with their essays, proof: interac transfers and communication), gets support from her dad who lives overseas (she gets cash from here every time she visits him, so the only proof would be receipts of bank deposit), gets some money from OSAP, does not pay for rent or food (her mom does this, we also have a notarized letter that says her mom also supports me)

Question 1: What would be the best way to show these things to Canada Immigration? What kind of proofs would be best to use?

Apart from this, I work 2 part time jobs (making around $3000 a month), so in a sense I won't need the sponsor's financial support lol.

Question 2: As part of documentation we are going to provide, should I include my paystubs, my and her savings in the bank showing monthly and total earnings? Would this be redundant, since it is not asked in the question? It is just so weird that they won't ask a word as to how I am going to support myself.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks so much for the info guys. I just have one last question pertaining "If you are not working in Canada [relating to sponsor], provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper."

She (the sponsor) does not have an official job at the moment since she is still in school, but she does make some money through kijiji (she gets customers online and helps them with their essays, proof: interac transfers and communication), gets support from her dad who lives overseas (she gets cash from here every time she visits him, so the only proof would be receipts of bank deposit), gets some money from OSAP, does not pay for rent or food (her mom does this, we also have a notarized letter that says her mom also supports me)

Question 1: What would be the best way to show these things to Canada Immigration? What kind of proofs would be best to use?

Apart from this, I work 2 part time jobs (making around $3000 a month), so in a sense I won't need the sponsor's financial support lol.

Question 2: As part of documentation we are going to provide, should I include my paystubs, my and her savings in the bank showing monthly and total earnings? Would this be redundant, since it is not asked in the question? It is just so weird that they won't ask a word as to how I am going to support myself.
Write the explanation letter. Include the mother's letter, some of her receipts, a few of your recent payslips and bank statements.

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for a quick reply! By bank statements you mean the one that shows how much money you have in chequinq and savings in total?

Also, I should not send the other proofs? (since you only mentioned a few)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for a quick reply! By bank statements you mean the one that shows how much money you have in chequinq and savings in total?

Also, I should not send the other proofs? (since you only mentioned a few)
Assuming you have money in the accounts, yes.

Not sure what other proofs you think you need to send.

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Another question I have is about the country specific requirements
Does the country specific requirement apply to principal applicant only (me) ? Or my girlfriend (sponsor) too? She is a naturalized canadian citizen so I was wondering if I should check her country too

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Another question I have is about the country specific requirements
Does the country specific requirement apply to principal applicant only (me) ? Or my girlfriend (sponsor) too? She is a naturalized canadian citizen so I was wondering if I should check her country too
Applicant only.

Catzzz

Jan 25, 2018
Not suggesting you not go down the common law route. Many spousal sponsorship applications get refused or require extra proof of how the couple plan to support themselves before they get approved. I was under the false impression that a tutor's salary wouldn't be able to support both of you if you both had to move out and live on your own but I guess that is not the case.
From your experience, do you see a lot of inland common law applications getting rejected? For what reason though? And what extra proof do they normally request?

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Guys, I almost done with the application but one thing seems to be missing - birth certificate.

1. I am from Azerbaijan, and there is no specific country requirements.
2. When I was back home, I would almost never use my birth certificate except for one time when I applied for a national identity document (I am providing that with the application). When I told my parents to look for it, they could not find it and no one has a clue as to where it could be.

Question: Is it a good idea to write an explanation to say that it is missing and I cant provide it? or I have to dig it up somehow otherwise they will reject the application?

mgr42

Nov 21, 2017
Germany
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
2017-10-11
Doc's Request.
2017-11-22
Nomination.....
2017-11-28
AOR Received.
2017-01-24
File Transfer...
2018-01-24
Med's Request
2017-11-29
Med's Done....
2017-12-11
Passport Req..
2018-02-28
VISA ISSUED...
2018-03-08
LANDED..........
2018-12-20

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Guys, I almost done with the application but one thing seems to be missing - birth certificate.

1. I am from Azerbaijan, and there is no specific country requirements.
2. When I was back home, I would almost never use my birth certificate except for one time when I applied for a national identity document (I am providing that with the application). When I told my parents to look for it, they could not find it and no one has a clue as to where it could be.

Question: Is it a good idea to write an explanation to say that it is missing and I cant provide it? or I have to dig it up somehow otherwise they will reject the application?
If it will take awhile to get a replacement, I would include an explanation that you have applied for it and will send it in as soon as you receive it.

If it doesn't take too long to get the replacement, then just hold off until you get it and include it in the app.