+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship for Brother/Sister

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hi,

I am applying for a visitor visa for Canada and have an Invitation letter from my sister who is a PR resident in canada. While filing an online application, there is a requirement to provide a proof of relationship.

Actually, I was planning to attach mine and my sister's passport showing parent's name. Problem is that my mother's name (spelling) doesn't matches in two passports (difference - one passport uses "i" while other uses "ee" in the name).

Can some one please suggest any other alternative proof to be attached for proving relationship OR I can go ahead with the passports.

Thanks in advance

CVIF123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July4
File Transfer...
September 20th
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
november 10th 2015
india_user25 said:
Hi,

I am applying for a visitor visa for Canada and have an Invitation letter from my sister who is a PR resident in canada. While filing an online application, there is a requirement to provide a proof of relationship.

Actually, I was planning to attach mine and my sister's passport showing parent's name. Problem is that my mother's name (spelling) doesn't matches in two passports (difference - one passport uses "i" while other uses "ee" in the name).

Can some one please suggest any other alternative proof to be attached for proving relationship OR I can go ahead with the passports.

Thanks in advance
Date of birth certificates (both have same parent name) , Ration card (Group picture), Adhara card

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
CVIF123 said:
Date of birth certificates (both have same parent name) , Ration card (Group picture), Adhara card
Unfortunately, I am not having any birth certificate and all other documents are having different spelling for my mother's name. Actually the problem was that all my school/college certificates were having incorrect name for my mother ("Manjeet" on certificates), so instead of making correction in all certificates, I opted to modify my mother's name in passport to "Manjeet" instead of "Manjit" such as to match all the certificates.

Now, my sister's passport and other documents have my mother's name as "Manjit". I don't want to make any correction in my passport because for that I have to modify all my school/college/bank records as well.

Is same Father's name not a sufficient proof for proving relationship? Is there any other way - like any affidavit which can be used to show that Manjit & Manjeet are same names OR any other affidavit which can prove my relationship with my sister.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
india_user25 said:
Unfortunately, I am not having any birth certificate and all other documents are having different spelling for my mother's name. Actually the problem was that all my school/college certificates were having incorrect name for my mother ("Manjeet" on certificates), so instead of making correction in all certificates, I opted to modify my mother's name in passport to "Manjeet" instead of "Manjit" such as to match all the certificates.

Now, my sister's passport and other documents have my mother's name as "Manjit". I don't want to make any correction in my passport because for that I have to modify all my school/college/bank records as well.

Is same Father's name not a sufficient proof for proving relationship? Is there any other way - like any affidavit which can be used to show that Manjit & Manjeet are same names OR any other affidavit which can prove my relationship with my sister.
Here's a suggestion:

Your mom can prepare an affidavit that says 'Manjeet' and 'Manjit' are the same person ie holding passport number/Aadhar card details, living at Address XYZ, wife of Mr.ABC (your dad).

You can also submit a copy of your parents' marriage certificate.

BTW what did you submit to prepare your passport as you don't have a birth certificate? Does that document have your mom's name spelled wrongly as "Manjeet"?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
india_user25 said:

This presents a problem as a birth certificate is the easiest and most direct/reliable proof of the claimed relationship. How long does it take to apply for and acquire a birth certificate? This really is your best option. I too like Bryanna are curious as to what document you used to obtain your passport. You may get away with having yet another notarized affidavit from your parents detailing that you are their son and your sister is their daughter. Visa post will need additional documentation submitted though by your parents that is historic in nature (from your childhood all the way through to now) naming you as their son e.g hospital records, religious certification etc but do bear in mind these could be open to subjective interpretation by visa post.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes. Both mine and my brothers passport havr our parents name. Is that acceptable? Because i cannot get a birth certificate now
Yes, it is an acceptable proof.

You may also want to get copies of your/your brother's birth certificates from the registrar/authorities that record births

Mullaimano

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017

You may also want to get copies of your/your brother's birth certificates from the registrar/authorities that record births
Thank you Bryanna
My brother is a PR who is getting married in canada . My parents applied for visitor visa and have obtained one. But i could not apply with them as i am not a dependent child, i am married. So i applied separately with my husband as principal applicant. But we both were refused. My doubt is
1. Can i apply through my dad's online account in GC key?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you Bryanna
My brother is a PR who is getting married in canada . My parents applied for visitor visa and have obtained one. But i could not apply with them as i am not a dependent child, i am married. So i applied separately with my husband as principal applicant. But we both were refused. My doubt is
1. Can i apply through my dad's online account in GC key?
No, you cannot apply using your dad's online account. You must create your own account.

More importantly, you must address the reasons for refusal before you reapply

Mullaimano

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017

My name is MULLAIVIZI in my passport, but my birth certificate has a 'H' . It is MULLAIVIZHI . So there is a slight difference. It will take time to correct it. Can i proceed with passport as proof (mine and brother's)? With our parents name..
The register office is on indefinite strike

Mullaimano

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Bryanna
Good day.
We applied first with my husband as principal applicant.Our visa was rejected stating my husband's travel history. He had travelled to Bangladesh in 2013, to attend a training in centre for vaccine studies.(I wonder why mine was also rejected stating travel history as reason- cause i have never travelled ) And we failed to provide the relationship proof of my husband to my brother.
Now we have planned to apply with me as the principal applicant. This time they have not asked for travel history document.
Should we still add a letter of explanation giving details about my husband's travel history?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For travel history - CIC is looking for past travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK.