+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds Issue JP Bank Japan

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some advice from someone who has had the same experience when dealing with Japan Post Bank here in Japan. I went to my branch and asked them about the process of applying for a bank statement to show as proof of funds. They told me what to do but when they showed me the form I would receive it doesn't show what is required by IRCC. I asked them if I could have a letter showing my average balance for the past 6 months and also show when I opened the account. They said they can't do that and only the balance would be shown. I'm going to try again this week but my only option seems to be taking the proof off bank balance letter they're willing to provide and copying my bank book to show the avg funds for the past 6 months.I don't think IRCC will accept this however and I'm very frustrated since I have the money but no way to prove to them that I've had it for the past 6 months. It's also very difficult to communicate what I need to the employees at the bank since they don't speak English and the English customer care line can only be contacted from a landline which I don't have access to. I also don't have a Japanese friend who I can asked to help translate for me and deal sort this out.

jayscorp

Nov 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some advice from someone who has had the same experience when dealing with Japan Post Bank here in Japan. I went to my branch and asked them about the process of applying for a bank statement to show as proof of funds. They told me what to do but when they showed me the form I would receive it doesn't show what is required by IRCC. I asked them if I could have a letter showing my average balance for the past 6 months and also show when I opened the account. They said they can't do that and only the balance would be shown. I'm going to try again this week but my only option seems to be taking the proof off bank balance letter they're willing to provide and copying my bank book to show the avg funds for the past 6 months.I don't think IRCC will accept this however and I'm very frustrated since I have the money but no way to prove to them that I've had it for the past 6 months. It's also very difficult to communicate what I need to the employees at the bank since they don't speak English and the English customer care line can only be contacted from a landline which I don't have access to. I also don't have a Japanese friend who I can asked to help translate for me and deal sort this out.
Ask them for a letter of Reference, this would probably contain the information you seek.

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ask them for a letter of Reference, this would probably contain the information you seek.
I asked again and they said they don't provide reference letters. Only account balance certificates. They also cannot provide verified details of my account balance for the last 6 months. All I can get is a copy of my bank transactions which they said would be the same as my bank book being photocopied. I have no clue what else to do other than submit the bank balance certificate and a copy of my bank book to show how much money I've been saving for the last 6 months. Hopefully they don't reject me for the policy of this bank that I have no control over.

maitredufoot

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
UAE
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
20-09-2018
AOR Received.
03-11-2018
Med's Done....
05-12-2018
I asked again and they said they don't provide reference letters. Only account balance certificates. They also cannot provide verified details of my account balance for the last 6 months. All I can get is a copy of my bank transactions which they said would be the same as my bank book being photocopied. I have no clue what else to do other than submit the bank balance certificate and a copy of my bank book to show how much money I've been saving for the last 6 months. Hopefully they don't reject me for the policy of this bank that I have no control over.
Hi, please get a letter when you opened your account, and another one showing your current account balance ( Account Balance certificate), in addition to 6 months bank statement, and LOE explaining why you couldn't get average balance in 6 months.

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hi, please get a letter when you opened your account, and another one showing your current account balance ( Account Balance certificate), in addition to 6 months bank statement, and LOE explaining why you couldn't get average balance in 6 months.
I already asked and they said they can't give me a letter confirming when I opened the my account either. I'll try to explain that in my LoE but I doubt the immigration officer will take my word for it.

Reactions: maitredufoot

wlwhoami

Nov 24, 2019
I am in the same situation now, my Japanese bank refuses to give me such a letter.

They only gave me a letter of my balances and transaction records

So what happened later on your side, did you got a pass with just bank balance and copy of bankbook?

BRs

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
I am in the same situation now, my Japanese bank refuses to give me such a letter.

They only gave me a letter of my balances and transaction records

So what happened later on your side, did you got a pass with just bank balance and copy of bankbook?

BRs
I'm still waiting on PPR almost one year later because my application was under review because of this. When your application doesn't perfectly follow the instructions to apply they put it under "review required" and you'll have to wait beyond the average 6 months to complete.

Fortunately, I recently saw activity on my application, which is a good sign so here's what I did. Initially I had sent the balance statement with a letter of explanation saying my bank wouldn't send anything else. I also initially sent scanned copies of my payslips for the last 2 months and scans of my bank book. However it wasn't till October that I realised the bank book's dates were in Japanese style which would confuse the agent reading it. I moved from Japan in April so in October I was able to get a new six months statement with the requirements they demand from my local bank here. I also submitted a new LoE explaining the dates of the bank book and highlighted (circled with a big red maker) where my salary was deposited every month so they could see that as my source of income. I suggest you keep in mind that your application may take a long time to be approved because you can't provide 6 months statement. In the mean time open a bank account with a bank that does do 6 months statements in Japan (the international ones do) and update your file with that statement after. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: wlwhoami

wlwhoami

Nov 24, 2019
I'm still waiting on PPR almost one year later because my application was under review because of this. When your application doesn't perfectly follow the instructions to apply they put it under "review required" and you'll have to wait beyond the average 6 months to complete.

Fortunately, I recently saw activity on my application, which is a good sign so here's what I did. Initially I had sent the balance statement with a letter of explanation saying my bank wouldn't send anything else. I also initially sent scanned copies of my payslips for the last 2 months and scans of my bank book. However it wasn't till October that I realised the bank book's dates were in Japanese style which would confuse the agent reading it. I moved from Japan in April so in October I was able to get a new six months statement with the requirements they demand from my local bank here. I also submitted a new LoE explaining the dates of the bank book and highlighted (circled with a big red maker) where my salary was deposited every month so they could see that as my source of income. I suggest you keep in mind that your application may take a long time to be approved because you can't provide 6 months statement. In the mean time open a bank account with a bank that does do 6 months statements in Japan (the international ones do) and update your file with that statement after. Hope this helps you.

Thank you soo much, that really helps me a lot.
So you can still update your application after you submit it? That is really good news.

My situation is, I had a Chase bank account with enough funds in USA, where I think I can get a valid letter. But I worked in Japan since 2019.2, so all my payslips go to the Japanese bank. I want to add both banks, because the Japanese bank proves my source of income, Chase bank act as a backup (although the balance decrease continuously because I use US credit card in Jpan).

I can get all my monthly statements from Japan bank, but I just can not get a letter showing account open date with contact info. Do you think if I make a summary doc, summary all the info myself in PDF front page, and then attach all these statements with a balance confirmation letter as proof, that will help the process?

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Thank you soo much, that really helps me a lot.
So you can still update your application after you submit it? That is really good news.

My situation is, I had a Chase bank account with enough funds in USA, where I think I can get a valid letter. But I worked in Japan since 2019.2, so all my payslips go to the Japanese bank. I want to add both banks, because the Japanese bank proves my source of income, Chase bank act as a backup (although the balance decrease continuously because I use US credit card in Jpan).

I can get all my monthly statements from Japan bank, but I just can not get a letter showing account open date with contact info. Do you think if I make a summary doc, summary all the info myself in PDF front page, and then attach all these statements with a balance confirmation letter as proof, that will help the process?
If you can get the bank information from your Chase bank account be sure to include it as back up even if it doesn't show the amount they want. I think making a PDF of your monthly bank statements will definitely help and explain in full details in your LoE how to read the date. If you also highlight with a bright color pen or something where your salary is being deposited in the bank statements along with the payslips they should see that money is proof of income. I wish I had circled that information initially to make it easier for them to decipher and ignore all the Japanese. And yeah you can update your application after with relevant information if you see there's a delay. Good luck. It's very annoying that this one thing has held up my application for so long. I hope the same won't happen to you.

Reactions: wlwhoami

wlwhoami

Nov 24, 2019
If you can get the bank information from your Chase bank account be sure to include it as back up even if it doesn't show the amount they want. I think making a PDF of your monthly bank statements will definitely help and explain in full details in your LoE how to read the date. If you also highlight with a bright color pen or something where your salary is being deposited in the bank statements along with the payslips they should see that money is proof of income. I wish I had circled that information initially to make it easier for them to decipher and ignore all the Japanese. And yeah you can update your application after with relevant information if you see there's a delay. Good luck. It's very annoying that this one thing has held up my application for so long. I hope the same won't happen to you.
Thank you so much, I'll definitely do that.
Wish you the best in your case too.

jule1989

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Any other solution on how to deal with Japan Post Bank? I am in the same situation as you. Unfortunately, I don't have any accounts abroad and all my money is in my JP bank account. Bank says they do not issue these type of documents..
Any suggestions?

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Any other solution on how to deal with Japan Post Bank? I am in the same situation as you. Unfortunately, I don't have any accounts abroad and all my money is in my JP bank account. Bank says they do not issue these type of documents..
Any suggestions?
Hi Jule. Sorry about the late response. The best thing to do is what I suggested above which is send in a scanned copy of your bank book clearly highlighting the date of your salary deposits and explain how to read in English in your LoE. Once they see that along with your payslips as confirmation and the letter Japan Post can provide you with then you with they shouldn't reject your application outright. There will however be a delay in getting it approved like with me because your PoF doesn't follow the standard requirements they requested. I had to wait a whole year for them to approve my application and this was after I updated them with my bank information while in Jamaica. My Jamaican bank could give them the information they wanted. If you aren't applying soon the other thing I suggest is you move your money over to a bank that does provide the correct information.

Lydz86

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Thank you so much, I'll definitely do that.
Wish you the best in your case too.
I got through after uploading my updated PoF with the standard they required from my home country. I'll be moving to Canada this week and I couldn't be happier everything worked out.

jule1989

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi Jule. Sorry about the late response. The best thing to do is what I suggested above which is send in a scanned copy of your bank book clearly highlighting the date of your salary deposits and explain how to read in English in your LoE. Once they see that along with your payslips as confirmation and the letter Japan Post can provide you with then you with they shouldn't reject your application outright. There will however be a delay in getting it approved like with me because your PoF doesn't follow the standard requirements they requested. I had to wait a whole year for them to approve my application and this was after I updated them with my bank information while in Jamaica. My Jamaican bank could give them the information they wanted. If you aren't applying soon the other thing I suggest is you move your money over to a bank that does provide the correct information.
I see. Thank you very much for your response! Glad to hear it all ended up working for you. Cheers

Roy_05

Dec 23, 2020
Any suggestions?

Hi Jule,

I am in the similar situation with the Mitsui Sumitomo Bank. They can only provide with a balance certificate in English. So, I asked for 6 months balance certificates seperately. But these do not show the average balances anyways. I also requested for the transaction statements for the last 6 months and they can only give it in Japanese. However they agreed to printout a cover page in English stating my name, account number, account opening date, current balance, the bank's contact etc. and this cover page will be addressed to IRCC.

But, none of these documents will state that I have no outstanding loan/ debt/ credit card bills against this account (because I do not have a loan or any other account with this bank). I plan to notarize the Japanese bank statement by professional translator (not sure yet).

Is there any update on your side? Could you manage to proceed with the JP Bank? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Roy