+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds for Study Permit for my girlfriend

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Hello everyone

I am living with my girlfriend, I'm PR. My girlfriend is applying for a study permit, she was accepted into a school.

How can I provide proof of funds from my account showing that I can and will support her?
We have been living in an address which I have been paying rent for and all other expenses as she doesn't have income. But we are not considered common law yet.

Is it going to work? Should I issue a loan or transfer her the money?

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Hello everyone

I am living with my girlfriend, I'm PR. My girlfriend is applying for a study permit, she was accepted into a school.

How can I provide proof of funds from my account showing that I can and will support her?
We have been living in an address which I have been paying rent for and all other expenses as she doesn't have income. But we are not considered common law yet.

You can show the proof of funds and give a letter that you are supporting her. In my opinion a loan is better if its good in Canada. But lets wait what others suggest.

positive_vibes8459

Sep 7, 2021
Hello everyone

Since you are not her immediate family you would need to convince the visa officer that you are committed to paying her tuition fees and expenses for the full duration of her studies. In my opinion I think it will look better if you transfer the money to her bank account.

Since you are her sponsor you need to provide your bank statements and proof of employment (with an employment letter and/or pay stubs)

You also need to write her a sponsorship letter stating (with evidence) :
  • your relationship with her
  • your living arrangements
  • your employment status
  • your commitment to paying for all her expenses

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Hello everyone

You need to transfer the money to her bank account to show that you can support her

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
You need to transfer the money to her bank account to show that you can support her
Doesn't it have to be in her account for at least 4 months?
And does it have to be exactly 10000+ 7000 remaining tuition fees? Payment plan is 800 monthly

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Doesn't it have to be in her account for at least 4 months?
And does it have to be exactly 10000+ 7000 remaining tuition fees? Payment plan is 800 monthly
What payment plan?

Yes, the money has to be in the account of the applicant and not touched for at least 4 months.