+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of cohabitation rejected

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018
When you do submit the additional evidence I think it would be also important to provide a letter with the reasoning you had here for not having a lot of the evidence. It's also important for them to know why you don't have certain documents.

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
Hi Linda_s74, we have included an explanation letter to why she's lacking evidence of shared expenses but perhaps the explanation wasn't thorough enough. I will have some letters draft up from friends, colleagues, and also revise the letter of explanation why we're lacking bank statement data. I am very sure I have already explained to CIC that the bank policy doesn't allow non-pr/citizen to open a bank account and that's why we never had a joint bank account.

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018
Hi Linda_s74, we have included an explanation letter to why she's lacking evidence of shared expenses but perhaps the explanation wasn't thorough enough. I will have some letters draft up from friends, colleagues, and also revise the letter of explanation why we're lacking bank statement data. I am very sure I have already explained to CIC that the bank policy doesn't allow non-pr/citizen to open a bank account and that's why we never had a joint bank account.
I would go back to the list of evidence from the checklist and explain why I didn't have each e.g. Insurance papers - I don't have benefits from work, dont have a car therefore cant provide that evidence etc.
By the way from what you posted it sounds like they are looking for evidence that you still live together "have been cohabiting in the same residence in Canada since the filing of your application."

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The status shows:

Review of eligibility - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.
Review of medical results - You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - Not applicable.
Interview - You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check - We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Did you apply for owp too? Did they approve it?

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
That's a good catch Linda and thanks for pointing that out. That's even more puzzling as I thought I have provided tons of proof of that (so I thought) but it seems as they needed more. I will work on that.

tiarachel85, no she didn't apply for owp.

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
That's a good catch Linda and thanks for pointing that out. That's even more puzzling as I thought I have provided tons of proof of that (so I thought) but it seems as they needed more. I will work on that.

tiarachel85, no she didn't apply for owp.
How come you didn't apply for a work permit? Getting that would give her status in the country where you wouldn't have to worry about extending her visitor status, and it would have enabled her to get things like healthcare, driver's licence, bank accounts (joint or individual), etc. Being in the country on a work permit lets you do a lot more than you can as a visitor and most of it would help greatly with the cohabitation proof, not to mention just general sense of security for her (being a visitor vs a resident with her SIN, healthcare, ability to work, etc).

Before we applied, my wife put me on the house title (a house that she bought before we married - not sure why you mentioned you didn't put her on it because you bought it before as you can add people to it whenever), I became a beneficiary of her insurance policies, we put my name on several utilities (even if I wasn't actually jointly paying, you can put additional names in the address field for many of them so that they are mailed to you both at the same address), things like that.

In case you do end up reapplying, keep the above in mind and do as much as you can ahead of time. Also do apply for her OWP - she isn't obligated to work, but it's a great thing to have for other reasons.

For now, I would get letters from friends and family and really comb through all of your paperwork, no matter how silly or small, for anything that might show her at your address.

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
Hi np08, thanks for your advice. We probably didn't fully understand the benefits of having OWP as you listed above and we didn't think she can qualify for when we read the requirements: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

We wanted to focus on her getting a PR and getting her to work wasn't a priority at time.

As for the home title, wouldn't we require a lawyer to have this done? Also, once we got married she's entitled to half of my assets anyway so I didn't think there is an urgency to have her on the title. Putting her on a will was something I wanted to do but haven't got around to it. I know having shared statements, utility bills made sense now and it can help the situation immensely. From a financial stand point at the time of application it doesn't change who's paying for the bill and we overlooked that requirement.

As for life insurance, I haven't bought one. For now we are a single income household where I am solely financially supporting my wife and a newborn. We minimize fixed added expenses.

Your suggestions on adding her to the utility bills is a good idea. I understand that now but at the time I didn't think it will be a problem.

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi np08, thanks for your advice. We probably didn't fully understand the benefits of having OWP as you listed above and we didn't think she can qualify for when we read the requirements: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

We wanted to focus on her getting a PR and getting her to work wasn't a priority at time.

As for the home title, wouldn't we require a lawyer to have this done? Also, once we got married she's entitled to half of my assets anyway so I didn't think there is an urgency to have her on the title. Putting her on a will was something I wanted to do but haven't got around to it. I know having shared statements, utility bills made sense now and it can help the situation immensely. From a financial stand point at the time of application it doesn't change who's paying for the bill and we overlooked that requirement.

As for life insurance, I haven't bought one. For now we are a single income household where I am solely financially supporting my wife and a newborn. We minimize fixed added expenses.

Your suggestions on adding her to the utility bills is a good idea. I understand that now but at the time I didn't think it will be a problem.
She qualifies automatically by applying inland through the family class. You just need to fill out the form, sign it, pay the correct fees ($255) and make sure she has valid status when you send it. 3-4 months later she will get it. There's no special requirements outside of applying inland and that's why those two applications are sent together (PR application and OWP application) in the same package. It's a pilot thing introduced a couple of years ago specifically for inland family class immigration.

We didn't need a lawyer for the title. We just went to the Land Title Office, filled out a form, showed our IDs, signed a few things and that was that. And I was able to be added to it as a visitor (I seem to remember my wife just had to get one of the documents notarized because I was not a resident).

And yeah, the mindset for this is a bit different than the way an average couple would normally think or behave. That's why it's important to prepare and know in advance what will be necessary as a lot of people wouldn't do most of these things on their own, without some outside influence such as this one.

Ldonasci

Star Member
Mar 13, 2018
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
Med's Request
03-10-2017

Look, I am fully supported by my husband and at the time of app I didn’t have much of a proof to send to them. I got ppl to write letters supporting my relationship with my partner, which was extremely recommended by my lawyer. At the time I did this and had a pre-paid phone on my address which I sent them a copy. I also had the lease on my name as well (which wouldn’t work for your case)

So my recommendation is whatever you find that can be a good proof of living together send it and don’t forget Letters are very important (ask friends family neighbors to write them and state they know your family and that you live together, if possible ask them to provide contact numbers as well)

Good luck

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
Thanks np09 and Ldonasci! A lot of great advice. I will do that next and get friends/families to write letters for us with their contact numbers. We will also send them everything else we have, pictures, dental receipts, and whatever else we can come up with.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi YVR123, in hindsight I should have put something under her name but at the time we didn't feel we need to or knew any better. My wife didn't make much to begin with so we didn't see any reasons to have anything under her name at the time of applying for the PR.

We can get friends to draft up a letter vouching for us and that's probably the next step. If we're to reapply if rejected is there a waiting period and will the proof of cohabitation requirements now starts from the new date when we reapply?
I am going to repeat my initial question. So you didn't purchase health insurance for her (that's what I meant by travel insurance)? Since she has visitor status, she is not covered by provincial health and getting her traveler health insurance is important. If she doesn't have it, get it soon.

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
YVR123, yes we understand that. Initially she did have health insurance but then it expired when we extended her visa. Travel insurance are to be purchased prior to leaving the original country. They will not accept out-of-country purchases.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
YVR123, yes we understand that. Initially she did have health insurance but then it expired when we extended her visa. Travel insurance are to be purchased prior to leaving the original country. They will not accept out-of-country purchases.
I disagree with this. We bought through manulife while he was here

Wayne72

Mar 7, 2018
I just called Manulife and you're right that she can be covered but there is a 48-hour waiting period for someone who's already in the country. We will get this coverage today! Thank you!

Last edited: