+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Cohabitation December 2020

kcm

Jan 4, 2020
Hello, me and my common law partner are 11 months into cohabitation, month before we need to apply for common law sponsorship. But I am worried we do not have enough proof!! We only have a ring, letters from family, a lot of family photos, and he’s listed on my insurance! BUT I’ve read a comment on here that says we need names/dates THROUGHOUT the year of the cohabitation period to which we do not have enough. What other proof do we need that is beneficial, we need it fast!! Help!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Didn't read your previous posts but did you start renting a place together?
If the rental contract has both of your names, it's a big help on providing some proof.

ring and photos doesn't proof you two cohabitating.

kcm

Jan 4, 2020
No we don’t, but if we do it now they would suspect that we haven’t lived together before December

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No we don’t, but if we do it now they would suspect that we haven’t lived together before December
If you just start a rental contract now with both names, then you can only proof common law in Dec 2021.

kcm

Jan 4, 2020
I’ve mentioned in another post “
My fiancé has been in Canada since January 11th and we’ve applied for a visitor extension in June, got accepted in July. The extension is only valid until January 11th of 2021 which would be a full year of cohabitating thus why we had the idea to apply for Common Law Sponsorship. People have mentioned on these forums to apply for another extension this week (30 days before the status expires) and then apply the day of or after January 11th.
ANYWAY some concerns have been wandering our minds like proof of cohabitation since we only have rings, photos, letters, document from the visitor extension.
ANOTHER question that has sparked interest is applying for the visitor extension today (December 7th) which is 34 days before the status expires, and get the marriage licence today or tomorrow and wait 3-4 weeks for our marriage certificate, but what if we get denied for visitor extension? Should we wait on the marriage certificate, and hopefully get the extension before January 11th and than apply for spousal sponsorship? But if we get accepted for the visitor extension and get more time, what should we do? Apply for common law or spousal? HELP”
Can you help me with this question

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I’ve mentioned in another post “
My fiancé has been in Canada since January 11th and we’ve applied for a visitor extension in June, got accepted in July. The extension is only valid until January 11th of 2021 which would be a full year of cohabitating thus why we had the idea to apply for Common Law Sponsorship. People have mentioned on these forums to apply for another extension this week (30 days before the status expires) and then apply the day of or after January 11th.
ANYWAY some concerns have been wandering our minds like proof of cohabitation since we only have rings, photos, letters, document from the visitor extension.
ANOTHER question that has sparked interest is applying for the visitor extension today (December 7th) which is 34 days before the status expires, and get the marriage licence today or tomorrow and wait 3-4 weeks for our marriage certificate, but what if we get denied for visitor extension? Should we wait on the marriage certificate, and hopefully get the extension before January 11th and than apply for spousal sponsorship? But if we get accepted for the visitor extension and get more time, what should we do? Apply for common law or spousal? HELP”
Can you help me with this question
Your easiest route if you are prepared to do it is get married and do the spousal route. I say that because of your lack of proof of cohabitation for the period since Jan 2020. Maybe somebody else can answer the other part of your Q's.

Reactions: armoured

kcm

Jan 4, 2020
Your easiest route if you are prepared to do it is get married and do the spousal route. I say that because of your lack of proof of cohabitation for the period since Jan 2020. Maybe somebody else can answer the other part of your Q's.
I have the application open right now, should I put Spouse or leave it as common law ? Since we are getting our licence tomorrow and not the certificate

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the application open right now, should I put Spouse or leave it as common law ? Since we are getting our licence tomorrow and not the certificate
You don't have enough evidence to apply as common law unless you wait another year and build stronger evidence. Spousal sponsorship is the better choice if you want to apply now. Do not submit the sponsorship application until you have the marriage certificate. If you submit the application with the marriage license only, it will be returned as incomplete and you'll end up wasting months only to have to submit the application all over again.

Reactions: YVR123