+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

dinigobale

Sep 24, 2013
Hi, has anyone gotten an AOR lately? Just trying to figure out what month they are on.
Yes I did, sept 24th. They had my sons first name and his middle name (my first) wrong. Called them about it. They said the issuing officer will fix it when sending it. I hope they do. Because I can't imagine dealing with them another 1.5 years again smh

macord2k20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
Has anybody has their application changed from "received" to "in process" lately ? What month/date are they currently on?

amlajune

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, has anyone gotten an AOR lately? Just trying to figure out what month they are on.
Are you of Indian origin? I'm wondering because I'm in the same place, where I sent the certificate in for name change before Passport Canada changed their rules. I did take a notarized copy of the old certificate before I sent it in, so I think I could change my passport if I wanted, but I have no idea whether it will be accepted for an update of the Overseas Citizenship of India card.
Middle eastern, not that it makes a difference.

Reactions: tenacioustopanga

macord2k20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
not here and seems they are really slow on proof of citizenship .. im aug 2020 (AOR received on July 2021) ... and contacted my MP and after a couple of days and them talking with IRCC they said to apply for facilitation visa and wait for the proof of citizenship .. so it may not happen any time soon ...

kd73426

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I’m currently waiting on proof of citizenship for my kids. We are planning to move back to Canada in 2022 but since they have US citizenship and will be flying by air we need to get their Canadian passport. This facilitation visa seems like it could work for us if the time for the move comes and we are still waiting on their proof of citizenship.

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
We have been waiting since July 2020 to get our daughter's proof of citizenship. She is also American, and we went ahead and moved to Canada while still awaiting her proof of citizenship. We weren't sure what they would say at the border (we drove), but they let her in with no problems. We had her birth certificate showing that her mother was Canadian, as well as as copy of the proof of citizenship application we had submitted.

Of course now we're facing problems getting health care in BC, as they are requiring her proof of citizenship, and have been unwilling to accept other documentation...

kd73426

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
We have been waiting since July 2020 to get our daughter's proof of citizenship. She is also American, and we went ahead and moved to Canada while still awaiting her proof of citizenship. We weren't sure what they would say at the border (we drove), but they let her in with no problems. We had her birth certificate showing that her mother was Canadian, as well as as copy of the proof of citizenship application we had submitted.

Of course now we're facing problems getting health care in BC, as they are requiring her proof of citizenship, and have been unwilling to accept other documentation...
Were you able to get her registered in school?

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Were you able to get her registered in school?
Yes. Apparently where we are (BC), it's enough to show that one of her parents is Canadian. So we provided the school with I think my wife's Citizenship information and our daughter's birth certificate showing that her mom was Canadian. I had to do some research to figure this out, as I'm not sure the school office knew this!

chica30

Mar 7, 2020

I think you can send a request to update the application to Urgent type, as health care is one of the eligible reasons for urgent processing.
Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate: Urgent processing - Canada.ca

Reactions: kd73426

llivermore

May 14, 2021
It probably won't be much longer for your AOR. Mine took 11 months, and that seems to be pretty typical at present based on what others have been posting.

As for how long we'll be waiting for the next stage, we'll that's anyone's guess. Less than 11 months but longer than right away is what I'm thinking.

Reactions: amlajune

Mclast

Aug 2, 2021
Yeah, the recent timelines seem to be roughly:
11 months from "we received your application" to acknowledgement of receipt (AOR)
+ 3+ months to "we started processing" (I'm at 3½ and counting)
+ 1 month to "we sent your citizenship certificate"
= 15+ months total, which matches IRCC's estimate at Check processing times > Citizenship > Citizenship certificate
Even worse, it's actually 19½ months total if you count the time, as of November 9, 2021, from where IRCC is "finalizing most applications we received between March 22-28, 2020" at Check your application status > Citizenship > Citizenship certificate > Online or By mail, no difference

Reactions: Sezar_Canada

Boston629

Nov 12, 2021
Now at a year next week since application marked by US international Priority Mail as delivered. By when should I start getting concerned that they never actually received it?