+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 7, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 13, 2021.
No update after this

Rolyb

Dec 20, 2020
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 7, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 13, 2021.
No update after this
Think you might be waiting some time. ICRC is currently processing most applications received between 8th and 15th February 2020. Seems to be moving forward by about a week a week. You can track their progress here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
On a side note, I sent in my application for the Canadian passport (10 year) to my local Canadian High Commission. I was surprised to learn my guarantor and my two references were called to confirm my identity. Guess no stone will remain unturned, hehe.

Think you might be waiting some time. ICRC is currently processing most applications received between 8th and 15th February 2020. Seems to be moving forward by about a week a week. You can track their progress here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html
Really grateful they put out a page like this :)

amlajune

Mar 30, 2021
On a side note, I sent in my application for the Canadian passport (10 year) to my local Canadian High Commission. I was surprised to learn my guarantor and my two references were called to confirm my identity. Guess no stone will remain unturned, hehe.

Really grateful they put out a page like this :)
Thanks for sharing. This is good to have but the timeline is just straight up distressing...I might be without a Citizenship Certificate for another year. What happens if I lose my passport while I'm abroad? I'm basically done for...can't even return to the country with my native passport because of COVID rules (which might drag on for ages). In the middle of all this, Passport Canada decided to change its rules and allow for a change of name without he certificate name change....so this massive risk most of name name-changers are taking is pointless!

I'll say it again: The day I never have to deal with IRCC again will be one of the happiest days of my life.

dinigobale

Sep 24, 2013
received AOR today, application submitted on Oct 1, 2020
I have submitted mine late August 2020 and received nothing yet. I called this morning they wouldn't even check the
status, the guy said they are busy working on afghans refugees applications and would only
answer if you the matter is Argent

syphix

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013

llivermore

May 14, 2021
Received AOR today, 11 months to the day after my application arrived in Sydney. Still can't use the online tool to check my application status, though. Perhaps it takes a few days before they enter my client number and application number into the system?

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Received AOR today, 11 months to the day after my application arrived in Sydney. Still can't use the online tool to check my application status, though. Perhaps it takes a few days before they enter my client number and application number into the system?
you can check ECAS next day

Reactions: llivermore

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Received my citizenship certificate and the Canadian passport yesterday. The High Commission sent them to me via courier. So happy! The prospect of relocating sounds exciting and challenging!

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Whats your timeline pls ?
The High Commission of Canada sent my application to CPC-Sydney on the: 7th November 2019
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on February 24, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on December 7, 2020.
  3. We started processing your application on June 16, 2021.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on July 22, 2021 to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
The High Commission of Canada received my citizenship certificate on the 17th August 2021.
The High Commission of Canada received my passport application on the: 19th August 2021.
The High Commission of Canada sent my citizenship certificate and passport to my residence on the: 15th September 2021.

Last edited:

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Thanks for sharing. This is good to have but the timeline is just straight up distressing...I might be without a Citizenship Certificate for another year. What happens if I lose my passport while I'm abroad? I'm basically done for...can't even return to the country with my native passport because of COVID rules (which might drag on for ages). In the middle of all this, Passport Canada decided to change its rules and allow for a change of name without he certificate name change....so this massive risk most of name name-changers are taking is pointless!

I'll say it again: The day I never have to deal with IRCC again will be one of the happiest days of my life.
Are you of Indian origin? I'm wondering because I'm in the same place, where I sent the certificate in for name change before Passport Canada changed their rules. I did take a notarized copy of the old certificate before I sent it in, so I think I could change my passport if I wanted, but I have no idea whether it will be accepted for an update of the Overseas Citizenship of India card.